FM Static - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
FM Static
Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:16 AM
So first off the car is a 98' Z24 Cavalier Vert here's my problem: I get horrible static on the FM radio stations. Only way I actually get a good clear signal is if I am near the radio station. I had this same issue with my coupe when I put the system in the back and well whe I installed it into my vert the same thing. I am thinking it has something todo with the frequencies coming from the amp but what can I do about it. Everything is crystal clear to CD, Bluetooth and Aux just on the radio is where the static comes in.

This is the Setup I have currently:

Clarion Deck (Inside work atm so can't give specs)
5500 watt Power Acustic Amp
1 JL 12' W7

Also even bought this amplified antenna from AutoZone to see if it would help that was a complete fail lol.

Re: FM Static
Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:23 AM
Has nothing to do with the 'frequencies coming from the amp".

There will be two plugs that the antenna cable plugs into.
-The one at the radio itself
-The one at the aerial antenna itself

Make sure these connections aren't broken.
If the plug feels loose at all on the cable, it's probably broken and needs to be replaced.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 12:05 PM
Ok forgot to add to that it did the same thing with the stock radio as well as the clarion. But I will check that and post back the results

Just seems werid that it would be either of those when considering that it does the same thing and in 2 different cars but hey it wouldn't surprise me the least bit.

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:54 PM
Update:

Checked all connections for the antenna and all are ok and tight. The static still remains

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:28 AM
bump... Anyone else had this issue?

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:31 AM
FM is stupid basic.

If your connections are good, then the tuner in the deck is no good.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:44 AM
So the tuner in my new deck is bad as well as the old factory deck in the 98 as well as the stock deck from the 2000 coupe? I find that very very hard to believe

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:52 AM
You have the antenna adapter right?

You're not trying to use the small gm antenna in the motorola style plug, I mean.

There are only 5 links in the FM Radio chain.

The deck's tuner
|
The plug at the deck
|
The cable that runs from from to back
|
The plug at the antenna
|
The antenna itself

You've already concluded that the plugs are good.
Also you said you tested the deck in two cars.
These two things lead me to believe that the tuner itself is bad

You can go pick up a cable and try that.

Or, If it's brand new, return it.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:02 AM
Ok not sure if I didn't explain this but If I have just the radio and normal factory speakers going aka playing the radio tunes just fine. All the channels and everything is clear. BUT when i connect the amp and subs I hear nothing but static. Which leads me to believe I am getting some feedback somehow or another from the amp or maybe the sub dont know how that can be but who knows.

Agree with you on FM is basic and I got all those points you listed there checked all are ok it's just when the amp is turned on it's static and with the amp off it's clear

Just want to add that the RCA cables are run on the opposite side of the car from the power cable.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:09 AM
oh yeah i put the factory antenna back on to until the problem is found to eliminate that

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:09 AM
Measure the resistance between the terminals and the amp to ground.
That is
Resistance between pwr terminal and chassis =
Resistance between gnd terminal and chassis =
Resistance between rem terminal and chassis =

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:45 AM
I have always been told not to run subs (and amp) with the tuner because of frequencys or something, I never got into any in depth explanation. I don't ever plan to, I hardley ever listen to the radio. I like my cd's.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:55 AM
Ok just to update this and put it to rest. The other day the Amp all of a sudden quit. So I replaced the amp with a JL 500/1 and everything is perfect now. No radio staitc or anything. So whatever the static issue I had was coming from the amp itself. Not sure what it was but it's all good now.

Thanks for all the help

Saturday, October 29, 2011 9:45 PM
that's super weird.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search