4 x 6 Component Opinions - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4 x 6 Component Opinions
Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:09 AM
Hey all,

I just recently came into a cheap pair of old Cerwin Vega 4x6 component door speakers. I bought them and fit one into my left door while still keeping my insanely cheap diablo d46.2 coaxial type speaker in the other.

My 10 dollar stock replacement blows it away. Ive always been mildly happy with them in the front, but have been eager for a while to get some good high quality components in there. My question is,

Have any of you had success with 4x6 components in your doors? I'm only looking for VERY crisp highs and decent mids. The bass is taken care of. My thoughts are either these Cerwins are SPENT or my very stock sound system doesn't agree with them.

Also, my front speakers are not amped, and i don't have a crossover. I'm relying on the passive crossovers in the speaker to stop distortion. Also, i know some will suggest the 6.5 round conversion, though that's not for me ATM.

If i decide against these, i'll be picking up a quality Rockford or infinity full range coaxials.

For reference, i have the following set up:

Stock 03 cav receiver with PAC Auxiliary audio input
Cheapo 4x6 coaxial front 2 ways
Sony Xplod GTX rear 6x9's
2 10" Boston acoustic rally series RS10 subs ( a mild 150w RMS) paired with a lanzar amp. Running 2 channels at 4 ohms

Thanks!

Re: 4 x 6 Component Opinions
Saturday, October 29, 2011 12:06 PM
I didnt even attempt to look for 4x6 i just put a set of sony explode 6.5s in my doors and they sound great..

Saturday, October 29, 2011 12:16 PM
I've had pretty good experience with 4x6 plates with the factory unit IMO, especially if you're wanting VERY crisp highs, They aren't made to handle a lot of power so the factory units push em pretty decently. Other than that, 6.5 conversion FTW.
Saturday, October 29, 2011 12:38 PM
Mine are a bit ghetto but they work great and sound just as good..

Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:46 PM
I'd have to imagine the no amp thing is what's holdin them back...

car audio noob since 1984.
Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:16 PM
But that doesn't make sense to me knowing that my stock reciever makes them distort at 75%.

I'm more prone to believe that its my lack of high pass crossover

Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:00 PM
Getting a good amount of CLEAN power to a decent speaker can do wonders. I got a feeling when u are looking at 4x6s and taking Sony xplod as a recommendation, you aren't looking at anything real high end?

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:40 PM
if you were to take a stereo with a deck that puts out 25wrmsx4 and compare it with the sound of a stereo with an AMP that puts out 25wrmsx4 the stereo with the amp would sound better.

It's all about the power stage.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:50 AM
bradsk88 wrote:if you were to take a stereo with a deck that puts out 25wrmsx4 and compare it with the sound of a stereo with an AMP that puts out 25wrmsx4 the stereo with the amp would sound better.

The power stage. Explain?

Does that take into consideration if the amp has a built in crossover for high pass? Or does it improve the quality either way?

JLAudioCavalier wrote:Getting a good amount of CLEAN power to a decent speaker can do wonders. I got a feeling when u are looking at 4x6s and taking Sony xplod as a recommendation, you aren't looking at anything real high end?

I do not want xplods in the front. The 6x9s i have in the rear do not impress me. To answer your question, i DO want high end sound quality, but obviously this isn't a competition car. Just looking for some clear sounds, that's all.

Id like everyone's opinion who has any experience with them. My only real desire is to get the best sound out of my stock receiver.

Thanks!

Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:07 AM
I would highly suggest getting a decent set of 6.5" components up front and an amp on em. You don't need anything bank-breaking, and you don't need gobs of power to sound good. Just need to get quality equipment. What's the budget and what head unit are you using?

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:31 AM
Stock headunit.

Looking to spend less than 150 including an amp.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:35 PM
Man that's a tight budget for a quality upgrade. I would start with a better head unit now with the $150 budget if u see yourself upgrading everything else in the future. You'd be surprised that head unit upgrades alone can improve the sound. Like brad said, a good head unit with an amp in it alone will make things sound better.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:11 AM
Obviously I'm going to have to think about everything here.

I have a mild knowledge of audio and equipment, but have some to learn yet.

Do you think an amp and crossover will clean my stock units outputs up enough to push 6.5 components cleanly?

I really hate the look of aftermarket recievers.

Monday, October 31, 2011 1:29 PM
You can run an amp off the factory outputs. The install becomes a bit harder, since you have to tap into each speaker and so run 4 wires to each speaker (or 2 to each speaker, 8 to the deck). Plus, the factory deck won't have the same sub-frequency output, as well as the high end will suffer a bit from lack of encoding in the deck.

That said, it's possible. And modules can be had that will boost the low and high end frequency that is otherwise lost, but those cost money.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:16 AM
Kris Brickman wrote:
bradsk88 wrote:if you were to take a stereo with a deck that puts out 25wrmsx4 and compare it with the sound of a stereo with an AMP that puts out 25wrmsx4 the stereo with the amp would sound better.

The power stage. Explain?

Does that take into consideration if the amp has a built in crossover for high pass? Or does it improve the quality either way?

JLAudioCavalier wrote:Getting a good amount of CLEAN power to a decent speaker can do wonders. I got a feeling when u are looking at 4x6s and taking Sony xplod as a recommendation, you aren't looking at anything real high end?

I do not want xplods in the front. The 6x9s i have in the rear do not impress me. To answer your question, i DO want high end sound quality, but obviously this isn't a competition car. Just looking for some clear sounds, that's all.

Id like everyone's opinion who has any experience with them. My only real desire is to get the best sound out of my stock receiver.

to answer this. the amp for your headunits power is smaller then a pack of cigarettes. an aftermarket amp mean to push 25x2 will be about 6-10x that size. reason being that aftermarket amp has quality parts and will actually put out 25x2 or more if you buy a quality piece. your headunit is lucky to put out half that power without distorting. and gm headunits your probably not even getting half the power. your likly pushing around 10 wattts to each speaker. aftermarket speakers esp componet set type speakers were designed to play well with allot more power. they weren't made to play well being fed 10 watts.

Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search