How hard is a remote start Install? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How hard is a remote start Install?
Monday, November 07, 2011 4:18 PM
Hey whats up guys. I bought a Viper 5901 last winter and I've had some issues with it going off for no good reason 2-3 times a week. I finally had time to bring it back to the professional shop I bought it from and they are most likely giving the alarm a new brain this week. They just installed the alarm not the remote start.

After the issues with the alarm, I wanted to handle the remote start alarm bymyself. Im am really handy, I will solder every connection and I am pretty good with wiring diagrams. I've never done a remote start before, is it something someone can tackle on the first try with decent tech knowledge or should I not bother.

What tools beside hand tools, and multi- meter would i need, anything special. Another reason I would like to do this myself is to learn how to take out the alarm and reinstall it if I were to buy a different vehicle. What do you guys think?

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Re: How hard is a remote start Install?
Monday, November 07, 2011 4:20 PM
If you are good with wiring diagrams and have a day to sit down, do it right, and figure things out as you go, it shouldn't be an issue. Just a tad time consuming.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, November 07, 2011 4:56 PM
If you know how to respect fuses and test safely there's nothing to worry about

Friday, November 11, 2011 9:05 PM
most wires you'd need to tap into are under the steering column. just make sure you check your amperage with multi meter that you don't blow any fuses as been said above and you should be ok. and of course you need a wiring diagram (which should come with your unit). shouldn't take you more than 6-7 hours if you're electrically inclined.
Monday, November 14, 2011 3:24 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the encouragment. The car audio shop took out the Viper brain last week and sent it to Viper to get it replaced. They say the brain was faulty and the install was fine. Hopefully my car gets better range too, it was no where near the advertised 1 mile. I'm talking about 100 meters.

Thanks guys

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:36 PM
1 mile is in an open field with no radio interference.
But you should be able to expect a city block or two of range.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:03 PM
Range was off, I'm talking about trying to arm my car from work lot outside, to parking lot across the street outside

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search