Remote Start VATS and HP Tuners - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Remote Start VATS and HP Tuners
Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:31 AM
The car: 2003 Pontiac Sunfire (No power options or keyless entry)

The question: Can I install a basic remote starter without having to worry about Passlock or VATS if I disable the VATS through HP Tuners?

The reason: I have an old Bulldog Security remote starter sitting around from when it was installed on my old winter car. I'm wondering if I can install it on a friends car without the need for a bypass module or triggering the car's theftlock, if I disable the VATS using HPT.

Input appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. not worried about theft. The probability of anyone stealing an 8 year old economy car with power nothing and 100,000 miles in a rural community is next to nothing.

Re: Remote Start VATS and HP Tuners
Monday, November 14, 2011 3:32 PM
Bumpity bump bump bump. I'm guessing yes the engine won't shutdown, but the BCM may throw a fit. I'm sure someone out there has some input.

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:47 PM
if passlock is disabled, it should start without a bypass.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:45 PM
That's what I'm thinking. But I did some reading on the HPT forums and it seems that the BCM is in 'control' of the theft system.

"The anti theft system and factory alarm are not related and both controlled by the BCM. By disabling the VATS in the tune will allow the PCM let the engine run without the fuel enable signal present from the BCM, but the factory content alarm would still be enabled. Even with it disabled, the security light can still be commanded on by the BCM when a system fault is present."

But this is for a V8 Truck. I'm assuming the same holds true for the jbodies. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a bypass. I'm curious as to what the 'consequences' of the theft system being engaged by the BCM are when the VATs is disabled in the PCM. I wonder if its more than just a light on the dash.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:53 PM
hook it up and see if the car starts. if it doesn't, then buy a bypass.

simple?

I have VATs disabled on my DD, and I still bought a bypass to hook up my remote start just in case.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:34 AM
If it's turned off at the PCM, then it doesn't look for key resistance at all nor the communication at the BCM and will start every time.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:43 AM
Some J-bodies, even if you turn if off with HPTuners, will sometimes checks still. I have scene this first hand on a 99z and a 04 cavalier. John Higgins I believe has had this happen as well on a few cars. I asked about it on the HPTuners forum, and never got an answer.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:58 AM
95-99 is Passlock. Does bulb check at the cluster, key resistance and PCM. 2000+, Passlock II, checks BCM, key resistance and PCM. Theoretically if its disabled at the PCM it shouldn't look elsewhere.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:19 AM
Jeffrey, agreed, but it seems to check after a set number of cycles even if it is turned off.

added:
I'm talking about a few months between events.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:20 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm confident the car will start without the bypass module so long as the VATS is disabled in the PCM. I also believe that at some point the BCM will 'sense' something is 'not right'. The consequence of this may just be a light on the dash or it may be something more. That something more may not be obvious to our thought processes right now and could present a headache down the road (no pun intended). The cost of a bypass module is only $25 (much cheaper than I thought), so I'm going to play it safe and just get the bypass. It would be nice, however, if we could control aspects of the BCM with HP Tuners or other 'easily' accessible software.

Friday, November 18, 2011 11:40 AM
Will you be using a PLJX or the Directed module?

Friday, November 18, 2011 2:51 PM
Bull Dog Security 791 Bypass

Whatever that is. That's what the install instructions say to use.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search