Radio code? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Radio code?
Sunday, November 06, 2011 5:50 AM
I am having problems with my stock oem head unit in my 2004 cavy. It wont pull in cd's no more. It sounds like it wants to but it doesent grab the cds and pull them in. So I was going to pull the head unit out and get it repaired if not to expensive. Cause I dont really want an after market unit. I would like to stay with factory if I could. But I was worried if I would pull the head unit out if I would have to put in a theft code to get the radio to work again. And I dont think I have that anywhere that I know of. Does any of you guys know if this would happen if I would pull this head unit out? Thanks

Re: Radio code?
Sunday, November 06, 2011 12:04 PM
You shouldn't have to enter any codes when reinstalling your original head-unit.
Sunday, November 06, 2011 1:24 PM
binzer wrote:You shouldn't have to enter any codes when reinstalling your original head-unit.

Wrong... It will be locked until the BCM and Radio are reintroduced to each other via a Tech II.. He was asking about installing a new headunit since his does not work anyway.. in which case he definitely needs to do so with a Tech II... but reading is obviously above you.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Sunday, November 06, 2011 1:40 PM
Ok, Maybe Im confusing you guys or im confused form what you guys are saying. I am replacing the the original head unit back into my car after it is fixed. I am not buying another head unit. Will I still need the code after I place the original unit back in?
Sunday, November 06, 2011 3:01 PM
Chris bruce wrote:I am having problems with my stock oem head unit in my 2004 cavy. It wont pull in cd's no more. It sounds like it wants to but it doesent grab the cds and pull them in. So I was going to pull the head unit out and get it repaired if not to expensive. Cause I dont really want an after market unit. I would like to stay with factory if I could. But I was worried if I would pull the head unit out if I would have to put in a theft code to get the radio to work again. And I dont think I have that anywhere that I know of. Does any of you guys know if this would happen if I would pull this head unit out? Thanks

So Alex.... Your reading skills seem to be exceptional.
Sunday, November 06, 2011 3:10 PM
And Chris, I'll say it again... You should not have to enter any code when you reinstall your original headunit.
Sunday, November 06, 2011 9:14 PM
My question is, where are you going to get the old head unit repaired? Its hard enough to get an aftermarket one repaired by the company that makes it, where do you go to get a factory unit repaired?
Monday, November 07, 2011 10:51 AM
binzer wrote:And Chris, I'll say it again... You should not have to enter any code when you reinstall your original headunit.

I removed my ORIGINAL Gm headunit from my 2001, changed the color of the illumination, and reinstalled it.... Had to re-initialize it with the BCM after doing so.

Regardless.... I got a replacement head unit about a year ago off ebay for $15... Go buy one

Monday, November 07, 2011 2:37 PM
Alex Richards wrote:
binzer wrote:And Chris, I'll say it again... You should not have to enter any code when you reinstall your original headunit.

I removed my ORIGINAL Gm headunit from my 2001, changed the color of the illumination, and reinstalled it.... Had to re-initialize it with the BCM after doing so.

Regardless.... I got a replacement head unit about a year ago off ebay for $15... Go buy one

And I've removed my ORIGINAL GM headunit from my 2003 a few times and reinstalled it with no issues what-so-ever.
Maybe you read the instructions wrong, since you had a hard time reading the OP's first post.

Monday, November 07, 2011 2:56 PM
You see Alex, here's the thing. I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong, or mistaken, but I read the OP's entire first post and gave my answer.
Which, by the way said "shouldn't have to enter any codes", not will not have to enter any codes. There is a difference.
But in your post, you attempted to insult me, by saying "but reading is obviously above you". Which is wrong actually...
You should have said reading is beneath me.
You on the other hand must not have read it clearly.

Maybe things changed from '01 to the '03-'05 systems, I don't know.
All I know is I've removed and reinstalled my OEM unit without issue.

With that, I'm done.

Monday, November 07, 2011 4:16 PM
binzer wrote:You see Alex, here's the thing. I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong, or mistaken, but I read the OP's entire first post and gave my answer.
Which, by the way said "shouldn't have to enter any codes", not will not have to enter any codes. There is a difference.
But in your post, you attempted to insult me, by saying "but reading is obviously above you". Which is wrong actually...
You should have said reading is beneath me.
You on the other hand must not have read it clearly.

Maybe things changed from '01 to the '03-'05 systems, I don't know.
All I know is I've removed and reinstalled my OEM unit without issue.

With that, I'm done.

My statement stands, Reading is above you implies you are below the reading grade level...So feel free to read into all my statements beyond their superficial statements. There is no way to service a stock head unit or at the very least it would be more expensive therefore a more viable option would be to replace it with a cheaper used replacement. Which would require re-initialization. This is assumed in the OP's case.

01-05 according to the service text is the same, reinitialization is required anytime the unit is removed and unplugged from the vehicle and the internal non-volatile memory is erased in either the BCM or Radio.

Your arguing over interpretation... and your intelligent responses tell me you don't belong on JBO...

Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:49 PM
2000 is when they started linking everything through the head unit.

I have a 2000 and have had my stock/aftermarket head unit in and out more times than I care to count, I was told I would need a theft lock code, scan tool etc.

I've done it with the battery still hooked up/negative removed, and no problems, does this mean you wont have any? absolutely not.

If you go to your local classifieds I guarantee you can find a used sony / pioneer or equivalent deck for $20 or less, this is a much better route than attempting to have your stock unit fixed, the aftermarket one will sound better and gets rid of annoying idiot beeps and warnings.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search