Should I use peel&seal as a sound deadener? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Should I use peel&seal as a sound deadener?
Monday, December 05, 2011 10:19 PM
If you're asking me? No.

But I thought this test was interesting enough to post here.
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/sound-deadening-fabrication/105520-vibration-test-results-p-s-not-p-s-question.html

Check it out.

Re: Should I use peel&seal as a sound deadener?
Monday, December 05, 2011 10:56 PM
I came into this thread with guns drawn, just waiting to shoot someone with dirty comments and calling them retarded... but I actually walked into something kinda cool, lol. I applaud you sir.

Monday, December 05, 2011 11:34 PM
Thanks for linking that test thread Brad. This makes it so much easier than telling people how @!#$ stupid of an idea it is, now I have a link... not to mention material it's made of, odor, stickiness, mess etc..

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 11:03 AM
CLD for the WIN!!!! @!#$ asphalt products! oh and second skin FTW

click sig for my car audio videos
Wednesday, December 07, 2011 12:27 AM
I would like to apologize to those I argued with in the past about this very subject. Not just because of the information you have posted but some personal experiences with some good deadener. I was a heavy peel and seal user, but I underwent rehab and now I can just say no to the stuff. Second Skin rehabilitation center ftw.

In all seriousness though, Peel and seals cost is through the roof (no pun intended) so having to double and triple layer that crap makes it more expensive than some decent deadener. There was a time and a place for this stuff but that time and place was over 15 years ago.
Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:00 AM
I tried using a sound deadening mat in my car, needless to say I regret using the cheap stuff because it was a pain to remove it all out of the trunk after I sprung a leak. I've never heard of second skin but sounds like something to look into.
Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:54 PM
Second Skin is good stuff, as is Cascade. Cascade is a bit more, but it's the best stuff out there as far as I'm concerned. Neither of these brands are cheap by any means, but to get the best, you gotta pay for it. Why get caught up in using twice as much of the cheap crap, just to get the same results or have worse adhesion?

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:22 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Second Skin is good stuff, as is Cascade. Cascade is a bit more, but it's the best stuff out there as far as I'm concerned. Neither of these brands are cheap by any means, but to get the best, you gotta pay for it. Why get caught up in using twice as much of the cheap crap, just to get the same results or have worse adhesion?

Literally the only two I will recommend. Simply because of the opportunity cost of installation. It's @!#$ hard to install deadener in any great quantity, and twice as hard to switch later.
If you buy a product with no superior (SS/Cascade), then you eliminate the risk of ever having to reinstall.

Monday, December 12, 2011 12:27 AM
Thats a nice test setup. Ive liked my Cascade a lot. It sticks nicely. Peals back clean and stocks down nice again. Ive pulled a certain section back and reapplied a few times and it still sticks. For the thickness of it its done an excellent job of stopping vibrations in my doors. The only vibes I have in them now are those from the lock rods and speaker grilles.

The next car I do I would like something heavier for floors and what not.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:04 PM
wonder why he didnt tes the rattle trap and the non named high end stuff the same way he tested the peal and seal with 100% coverage. you;'d think if he wanted to compare. u want to compare them the same way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:18 PM
why would he need to cover more area if less area of the good stuff did better than full coverage of the roofing product? that would just be wasting material.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:56 PM
GO AWAY, SPAMMER! Why can't I be a damn mod on days like this? lol

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:13 PM
Hahahaha. The spammers are starting to make sense in their posts at least.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:14 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:why would he need to cover more area if less area of the good stuff did better than full coverage of the roofing product? that would just be wasting material.

so your testing the same size versus same size. for some things there comes a point where adding more to something wont change the effect. so it would make more sence to test each equally. would help to see if adding more to the piece would help more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search