True dual alternators on cavalier or sunfire? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
True dual alternators on cavalier or sunfire?
Tuesday, December 06, 2011 11:46 PM
Has anyone attempted this yet? I know it can be done by removing the a/c compressor but I'm interested in seeing a true dual setup retaining all the factory options.

Example:
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/electronics-audio-video-49/emp-dual-alternator-pics-90785/

Re: True dual alternators on cavalier or sunfire?
Wednesday, December 07, 2011 3:35 PM
Be the first

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 3:55 PM
no offense but i dont see the point. unless you have like 8 amps or something? LOL

i had my stock alternator rebuilt to 180amp and it pushed my MTX 6500D, MTX 8302, and MTX 4122 amps just fine. mind you the big amp can draw up to 60 amps by itself. the car is also fully loaded so its got tons of electrical going on...

im sure you can have one built to even bigger than i had done. 250 amps comes to mind...

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:54 PM
@bradsk
I may be first on a jbody then if nobody else has seen it yet. Been sleeping on it for a while now, going to try to make a mock up over christmas break. If I can make a decent mock up it will then be transferred to metal.

@zyaa
It would be nice for my application since theres already 4500 rms RATED power in it right now (1000 mids/highs, 3500 sub) and I'd like an additional 3500 in the future. Right now its clamping 2500+ on the sub amp. I'm going to guess around 180 amps for that amp not including mids and highs or the cars consumption. It would also be nice to switch to an 18v charging system at some point without the use of stepdowns.
Thursday, December 08, 2011 1:01 AM
All of that load might kill a 2200. Buhaha.

Im going to be running my AD244 with a 240 amp rebuild.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:24 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if it did lol. Have to cross that bridge when it gets there.

Haven't decided on which case to run yet but after a few calls tomorrow it should be pretty well decided.

It it wasn't for the current draw situation I would definitely consider some ad244s
Thursday, December 08, 2011 10:58 AM
i know cunokyle did it on his 2.2

id have to find the thread over on mw spl forums....
but im lazy lol

click sig for my car audio videos
Thursday, December 08, 2011 11:06 AM
So let me see if I have this right..... if you remove the AC. To add another Alternator, you do not "truly" have dual alternators? Haha OK.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, December 08, 2011 12:13 PM
BassJunkie wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if it did lol. Have to cross that bridge when it gets there.

Haven't decided on which case to run yet but after a few calls tomorrow it should be pretty well decided.

It it wasn't for the current draw situation I would definitely consider some ad244s

Current draw situation? My AD244 was probably the best money I spent on the Sunfire. The case isn't much larger and the car seems to like the extra voltage. I was charging at 14.8v. My Optima rested at 13v haha.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 1:42 PM
the ac compressor is worth more (meterwise) then another alternator... i gain huge by using the ac in my car....

Thursday, December 08, 2011 6:22 PM
@anton
I'll do a search for that guy, thanks for the info. Also I couldn't agree more with temperature/humidity effecting spl, you'll see alot of extreme vehicles with digital thermometer/hygrometers located on the outside. A gain is a gain no matter how big or small in the world of spl.

@thesundownfire
I meant "my" current draw, not "the" current draw. Sorry for the confusion lol. Ad244's are great alts, theres a reason why they're found on so many vehicles. Good to hear you had such good results with the upgrade.

@jlaudiocavalier
Removing the a/c compressor is the easy way out, and it definitely comes at a cost. (sweat lol) So no I don't consider it a true dual setup. Would be similar to cutting an exhaust by the rear tires and splitting it into two pipes and calling them duals. Would there be two exhaust pipes? Yes. Is it as functional as a real dual exhaust? No.

Friday, December 09, 2011 5:32 AM
why wouldnt it function as a real dual alt setup? that anology makes no sense... 2 alts is 2 alts....

Friday, December 09, 2011 9:35 AM
Im with this ^ guy.

Friday, December 09, 2011 9:25 PM
You wouldn't have a/c..... "performance" loss. You wouldn't be at your spl potential.
Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:49 AM
But your thread title still stands(as does your terrible terrible and irrelevant analogy with the exhaust) that removing something to fit 2 alternators is not a "true" dual alternator setup... you TRULY have 2 alternators, that fit in the engine bay, run off the same belt system, and both put out the charge they are supposed to.... yet do not have "true" dual alternators.... I'm still lost.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, December 10, 2011 6:16 PM
Meh whatever.
Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:01 AM
I just got here, and I'm confused.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:19 AM
Lanman31337 - Cavfire wrote:I just got here, and I'm confused.

Recap :
-you don't truly have dual alts unless you have AC.
-if you remove AC to put in an alternator, it only looks like dual alts, like a dual exit muffler.

That's all I got from this post so far.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:04 AM
Just started tearing into it and it looks like its going to be a squeeze. Going to remove the fender and well to see what I can do. And it just so happens my ac compressor locked up and wont let my engine start so I'll have a look at that mount while im at it, maybe squeeze the compressor and alternator all in that area but can't say for certain.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search