Ignition wire on stereo harness - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ignition wire on stereo harness
Friday, December 16, 2011 6:35 PM
What wire is the ignition on the stock harness on a 2000 cav? I used a 2000 metro harness adapter and where it had the ingnition wire leads to nothing on the stock harness. Using a multi-meter the only switched one I found only read about 4-5 volts. Not sure if my meter is bad or maybe just the connection in the harness, but just to double check before I tap into a differnt ignition source, anyone know? Or if you have the 2000 metro harness, what did you use?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: Ignition wire on stereo harness
Friday, December 16, 2011 6:48 PM
The stock radio was powered by the bcm and I don't believe required a full 12v. Aftermarket radios need powered by another switched 12v source. I plan to tap the cigarette lighter for power unless I can add another fuse to the panel.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, December 16, 2011 7:14 PM
I had a feeling thats what it was and why it only showed 4-5v. FYI, I tested my cig lighter thinking maybe I'd tap that, but it wasn't switched with the ignition.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Friday, December 16, 2011 7:22 PM
That's right, I used to be able to charge my phone with the car off. It's been a while since I've used the cigarette lighter.

I'd ideally light to add a circuit to the fuse panel for the radio.

Friday, December 16, 2011 7:22 PM
DSMskyline wrote:The stock radio was powered by the bcm and I don't believe required a full 12v. Aftermarket radios need powered by another switched 12v source. I plan to tap the cigarette lighter for power unless I can add another fuse to the panel.

It would be actually pretty easy to add in another fuse. Just grab a spare fuse box and you will see how easy it is.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, December 16, 2011 7:25 PM
I figured its as easy as just adding another wire to one of the empty slots. They should all have power to them, just not power out as there isn't a wire.

Saturday, December 17, 2011 10:15 AM
That, or grab an add-a-circuit, it just plugs into an existing fuse slot (your windshield wipers are switched) it will retain the fuse for the wipers or whatever one you use, and adds a wire lead out with a fuse as well. then you don't have to take your fuse box apart, or mess with tapping into wires.
Saturday, December 17, 2011 1:44 PM
Wow.... after reading the back and forth without any actual suggestion with DSM and Boosted, Jordan finally comes in with the answer lol. Just get a fuse tap, use the wiper fuse. Done.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:15 PM
Ha! i'm useful for once! and heres a pic for reference.. they also have them little tin things that you just slide into the slot and hook up a spade terminal to, but i'm not much of a fan of those.

Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:03 PM
One used those before, is prefer to have an actual circuit for the radio.

The dash harness is out of the car so it will be easy for me to do.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:25 PM
this problem frustated me like hell today.....guessing going to find a ad on circuit tomorrow.... does autozone or advance have these???

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:18 PM
They should have some form of fuse tap, yes.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:35 AM
So I got the add on ciruit like that picture. So i plugged it into the wiper fuse, and add another 10 amp fuse to it and splice the orange (power) wire into the other end while running a wire that far??
I just wanna be sure before I go messing with electrical stuff,lol
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:42 AM
Yep. just run it through the dash, I don't know if there is another wiring harness under there you could tie it with, but thats basically all you can do to get the wire to the radio. just make sure the wire isn't going to get caught on anything, or where the insulation will rub off.
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:41 PM
That explains why there was a random wire to a fuse in the box on my 04 when i took the radio out & put fatory back in... lol
Of course I got the fuse tap thats the bigger fuse, ha, great....waitin til tomorrow...U can use any random wire to use to make the travel to the fuse box I guess? or Am I lookin at a certain type?
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:09 PM
It doesn't have to be an extremely big wire, its only a trigger wire to turn the stereo on. 18 gauge would be plenty I think
Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:55 PM
I used 18 gauge for the hell of it. Got everything to work, pretty happy and it very clean & done right...just gotta finish my front speakers tomorrow...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search