99 Chevy Cavalier Z24 starter wiring - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
99 Chevy Cavalier Z24 starter wiring
Sunday, December 25, 2011 4:36 PM
Ok so i've searched and searched and nothing i have a few wiring diagrams but they are of no help either so let me show u guys what im dealing with here

imagejpeg952 by datsunz666, on Flickr

um ya its a mess and well i was wondering if anyone could show me some actual photos of their cars and give me a little idea of what goes where

imagejpeg953 by datsunz666, on Flickr

as u can see most things were labeled but for some reason the starter ones are incorrect

imagejpeg954 by datsunz666, on Flickr

also got these grounded which looks funky to me so if anyone could help i would really appreciate it thanks

Re: 99 Chevy Cavalier Z24 starter wiring
Sunday, December 25, 2011 6:03 PM
Thats just about the same as what my 99z looks like. I don't have any pictures... not goin out to the shop till tomorrow. but, i am also 99% sure that is just the mess that a GM tech left after doing the starter recall. (I THINK i am explaining this correctly) There was a recall for the starter trigger wire overheating from excessive cranking. GM solved this by adding a relay to the starting system (the one by the battery i think), less power draw through the relay on the trigger wire and fixed the problem. Mine looks like crap too, but i haven't messed with it at all yet.

Assuming your starter functions correctly, i'd just get some of the black wire loom, tuck the wires in so they look nice and zip tie em outta the way.
Sunday, December 25, 2011 10:36 PM
actually the problem is the starter doesnt even click when we turn the key and we no the wiring isnt right and we have been trying a few things but no luck still
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:21 PM
Well I would just go with a test light and check all of the connections on the starter to see what is getting power and what isn't. Also check that relay by the battery, if it is bad it won't operate the circuit to engage the starter.
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:16 PM
the relay clicks and i checks and its fine its just this wiring thats a pita and i put the key in the on position and jump the connections at the starter and it cranks over so i no its not that
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:45 AM
I'll go check on my car which wire off the relay should trigger the starter. I'll get back to you with what one it should be. Then you can test that wire specifically.
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:38 PM
alright thank you
Tuesday, January 03, 2012 3:25 AM
I just rewired my entire 99Z.

Three wires go to the starter. One from Alternator, one from Positive of the battery, and one "can not remember the color" but can get pics tonight probably or tomorrow.

There is a negative that comes from the recall relay that is normally grounded to the bolt the holds the relay to the radiator, but sometimes is grounded to the trans. There is a small wire that goes to the 8/9mm nut below the large 13mm nut on the starter. Make sure that the larger wires are not touching the smaller stud under them.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:17 PM
i actually figured it out like 2 days ago but i had 3 wires going to the top post and one going to the small side post cranks over fine and the car starts =)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search