sound deadner/dynamatt - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
sound deadner/dynamatt
Monday, December 26, 2011 1:05 PM
i need ideas on where to get some sound deadner. companys, sites ect. i want to buy it in a roll rather then in sheets or a roll-on app.

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Re: sound deadner/dynamatt
Monday, December 26, 2011 2:50 PM
Not entirely sure of the name, but Peel and Seal from Home Depot sounds about right
Monday, December 26, 2011 3:07 PM
Eastwood.com is having a big end of year sale

Monday, December 26, 2011 3:13 PM
Monday, December 26, 2011 3:58 PM
Why a roll? Anything sold in roll form is a derivative of a roofing product and is not going to be nearly as effective as something made for sound deadening. If its not cascade or second skin ill never recommend it. Either do it right the first time or be unhappy and have to do it again.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, December 26, 2011 6:26 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Why a roll? Anything sold in roll form is a derivative of a roofing product and is not going to be nearly as effective as something made for sound deadening. If its not cascade or second skin ill never recommend it. Either do it right the first time or be unhappy and have to do it again.

that way i can cover the rear package try/speaker area so that air dosent come thru the holes , i wanna seal it up as much as i can. the vent thats in the trunk is getting blocked off like i did with the other cavi, which helps keep alot of the bass in the car and cuts down on some outter rattles.

im very familar with Eastwood since there pretty much in my back yard. i can go to the warehouse and just get stuff and not need to pay shipping

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Monday, December 26, 2011 8:10 PM
If you want to seal holes, cut some thin ply wood to the shape of the hole, use a good sealant and put those on place then put the damping material over the package tray. I'm not getting into detail as you say "must be on a roll" and the first reply was "use peel and seal". So clearly you don't have any ambition of using a high quality product or doing it right.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, December 26, 2011 8:38 PM
i was useing Lizard skin in the other cars and that did well. i just wanna up the anty is all. ill do a roll on application, but just wanna seal up the package tray pretty good. i deleted the 3rd brake light and was thinking of puttin a port there, maybe itd help with getin bass inside the car and not keeping it all in the trunk area

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Monday, December 26, 2011 8:57 PM
I still don't understand why a product on a roll is a requirement if you want to "up the ante". You don't get any better than Cascade Audio Engineering or Second Skin Audio. Period. Plain and simple.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, December 26, 2011 9:01 PM
i only said that cuz thats what ive delt with in the past and wanted to use again. by everyone seems to be pointing toward the roll on stuff. ill check out those places. dose it dry in a good amount of time ? downtime isnt something i want since my other running car is a 68 ford

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Monday, December 26, 2011 9:09 PM
Roll on? I thought you were going over gaps with it? I'm confused now lol... There are some roll on products (like second skin's spectrum) that are nice, but honestly for ease of install, I would prefer an adhesive backed damping mat.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:24 AM
thats my orig plan, the sticky stuff. i want it in a roll instead of bulk sheets like dyno mat

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:20 AM
Again, why? There is no difference in how you apply it. You clean the surface, remove the backing, and use your fingers and/or a roller to press it on. The big difference is the products made in individual sheets are products produced by a company specifically for sound and vibration control in cars. The products that come on a 100 sq. ft. roll are roofing product derivatives and are way cheaper for a large amount for a reason: They don't work even half as good. Do what you want, but I'm trying to give sound advice here. If you would prefer to buy it on a roll because you get "more" for your money, fine. Just know that the products that cost more for less volume of product, work 10 times better. You get what you pay for, and you don't seem to mind buying cheap crap....

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:33 AM
ive had good luck with dynamat extreme. i usually buy it on ebay, they basically give it away on there lol

but im with dustin, you want the best than buy the best. i havent had a chance to use the products he mentions here on a daily basis but cant wait til i can.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 12:20 PM
I still have some eDead lying around... anybody remember that stuff?

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:03 PM
Ew.. ya. Lol thin stuff with a completely useless Mylar backing instead of real foil like it should have.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:12 PM
so you basicly saying to go with dynomat ? but as i said if youve ever seen what Qwibbys trunk looks like after the dynomat has been in there for a while its ugly, @!#$s ozzing out everywhere and its just a huge sticky mess, thats what im trying to avoid here, i want it clean even thou ill have the carpet in there. after installing it.

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:00 PM
You're trying to avoid a messy and stinky install by using a roofing product derivative? hahahaha jesus......

Again, and this might just be the last time I say it, if you want better performance, cleaner install, higher quality in every way, thicker material, and over all the best of the best, you get Cascade or you get Second Skin. Period. I would never, ever, ever recommend any other sound and vibration control products.

Also, remember that damping mat(deadener) is a VIBRATION stopper. It's made to reduce or eliminate panel resonance by adding mass and also the foil backing helps isolate sound waves. It is NOT designed for sound blocking, even though it does that a tiny bit. It would cost so much money to "soundproof" your car with a damping mat. If you want to stop vibrations and cover some small holes in panels, Cascade V-Max or Second Skin Damplifier Pro are the way to go. If you want to stop road noise from getting in, or your sound from getting out, and don't want to spend a ton of money and time, you get Cascade VB-4 or Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro.

Get detailed on the exact goal here, the budget, and what panels you plan to attack and I can get in depth more. Neither of these brands are going to ooze or deteriorate or fall off. Both brands I have mentioned have the best adhesive layer I have ever seen along with all their other top shelf qualities. I've had some Second Skin Damplifier Pro on the underside of my trunk lid all summer and it doesn't smell a single bit, doesn't sag anywhere, and has not "oozed" in any way. And Cascade is even a step above that.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:34 PM
ok cool, im gonna check them out. i wanna get it done while my headliner is out and before i get some better 6x9's n door speakers

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:14 AM
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:53 AM
GJ Miker.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:05 PM
gotta be the first time ive ever had someones requirements be that its in a roll. dustin hit it on the head. for openings use wood. seal the wood to the metal. that will block way more sound then just roll a sheet over it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:05 PM
^This. Ive sealed my 6x9 holes and trunk vent using wood. A lot cleaner and sturdier.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:08 PM
i still want my 6x9s, just wanted to seal everything else up and put a port where the 3rd brake light was. maybe itd act like a ported box to the inside of the car ?

i looked up both sites and im gonna go with the Second Skin, stuffs pricey but seems like it truely works

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:14 PM
sndsgood wrote:gotta be the first time ive ever had someones requirements be that its in a roll. dustin hit it on the head. for openings use wood. seal the wood to the metal. that will block way more sound then just roll a sheet over it.

i said that cuz like dynomat sells thier stuff in sheets and all u get is like 2-3 sheets and u pay like $150 just for that. i bought a Roll of lizardskin for 150 and it did 3 of my cars , so i figured if i could get it like that then i knew id have enough to do everything i wanted to

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search