Speedometer stuck at 90 MPH - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Speedometer stuck at 90 MPH
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:01 AM
This problem arose yesterday, after work. I walked to my car and noticed that the needle was resting around 90 MPH. When I went to start the car, it jumped to 85 mph...So everytime I would turn the ignition off, then turn the car over, it would jump back 5mph... (At work I reset it down to 25 mph, so I could drive it somewhat knowing how fast I was going) Now this morning, the speedometer was working fine until I parked my car and turned it off. The needle is resting again at 90 mph....

I assume I will have to reset the needle by turning my car on/off until it goes back to zero.

My questions:
Does anyone know what the cause of this? (My issue just started yesterday)
Is there an easier way to reset the speedometer?
If I drive my car, and the needle goes past the 100-110 mark, will that cause any further issues then the one present?

Thanks

Re: Speedometer stuck at 90 MPH
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:24 PM
Alright, So I got home and disconnected the battery. That seemed to fix the problem for now.. What do you guys think? Is my cluster going bad or could it just be the weather (cold) affecting it?
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:09 PM
Could be the cluster.

I've replaced mine once because of similar issues. MPH went haywire and everything else was at zero. A "quick" fix was to unplug the cluster and then plug it back in.
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:29 PM
Stop driving 90? lol

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:20 PM
BassJunkie wrote:Could be the cluster.

I've replaced mine once because of similar issues. MPH went haywire and everything else was at zero. A "quick" fix was to unplug the cluster and then plug it back in.

I am thinking of this weekend taking off my dash just to make sure some connection hasn't jiggled lose or something.

JLAudioCavalier wrote:Stop driving 90? lol

The funny part about it, I only went about 65 mph...Dumb traffic. When I was driving home, the speedometer was reading somewhere around 120 ( Think I was only going 60?? People were passing me)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search