Cluster and Keyless Question - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cluster and Keyless Question
Sunday, February 05, 2012 10:17 AM
I just purchased a 1997 Cavalier Z24. Also I have a 1996 Sunfire GT.

First question that I have is this, I want to swap the dash from the fire into the cav because the cav dash is really bad, (cracked, bezel is broken, poorly painted, ect). I have been reading up on doing the swap, but I am still a little confused on the cluster. I really want to use the sunfire cluster because the cav one is cracked. I read that I can use any 96-99 cluster in one thread as long as it had the mechanical odometer, but another thread said that it had to be the same year. I know that no mater what I do I am going to have to swap the plug, but Is it possible for me to just use the cluster from the sunfire that I have in the new cav even though it is a different year?

Second question is pertaining to the keyless entry on the cavalier. It has power locks, windows, and the trunk release actuator, as well as the keyless module in the trunk. I am wondering if anyone has the part number for the remote that I would need because when I got the car it didn't have any remotes and the po said that he never did either. I have a remote from my old 98 Grand Am, and it is the same style 3 button remote, but it isn't working. I am just assuming that it was a different model remote. Also in the FAQ it says to turn the ignition to OFF. Does this mean that I should start the car and then turn it off, or just put the key into it.

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, but after searching the only threads that I found, at least on the keyless, were almost all from a while ago.

Thanks everyone!

Re: Cluster and Keyless Question
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:06 AM
anyone?

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:23 AM
Not sure, have never seen the clusters on the plug end....

Hmm... not sure on the remote part as I ditched the factory stuff a long time ago with shaved doors...

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 8:40 AM
so...... anyone with any actual help? lol

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:56 PM
Fairly sure the cluster just pops in. I remember a few friends raving about how easy it was. I'm 90% sure if it's a 95-99 Sunfire and 95-99 Cavalier, you can swap the cluster no problem.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 6:21 PM
Well, I go the dash frame and lower dash swapped in, if I want to use the fire cluster I am going to have to re-wire the connector, and if I want to keep the cav cluster I am going to have to cut up the lower dash. Part of me wants to keep cav cluster so that I can change the color to match my black/blue color that I am going with the car, but the other part of me wants to put the fire one in since it will fit properly.

Does anyone have any picture of a cav cluster in a fire dash? 95-99 only, because I know that the designs change in 2000.

As far as the keyless goes, I found a remote for sale on ebay that says that it is compatable with a 97 cav and a 98 grand am, so I am thinking the remote that I have will work, and the battery is probably just dead.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 8:59 PM
it needs to be programmed to the vehicle... you can't just pick up any like-remote and have it work. You think that would make sense? Just walk out to the parking lot and pick who's late 90's GM car you want to unlock?

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 9:38 PM
i kept my cav cluster in my 99 cav... ill try to find some pics. all you need to do to fit it is trim away some plastic so the cav cluster can sit flush.

as for the remote, the 98 one should work. keep the car off. you don't need to be in the car at all. just go to your trunk. take a nice flat head, and place it in the jumper wire thing, ( excuse my lack of terms). wait for the trunk popper to pop and the doors to lock and unlock. after all that is done, press the lock and unlock on the remote. DONE! may take a few trys.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 2:54 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:it needs to be programmed to the vehicle... you can't just pick up any like-remote and have it work. You think that would make sense? Just walk out to the parking lot and pick who's late 90's GM car you want to unlock?

I know it has to be programmed, what I meant by not working was the programming of it. LOL

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 2:57 AM
StatiCav (AznCav) wrote:i kept my cav cluster in my 99 cav... ill try to find some pics. all you need to do to fit it is trim away some plastic so the cav cluster can sit flush.

as for the remote, the 98 one should work. keep the car off. you don't need to be in the car at all. just go to your trunk. take a nice flat head, and place it in the jumper wire thing, ( excuse my lack of terms). wait for the trunk popper to pop and the doors to lock and unlock. after all that is done, press the lock and unlock on the remote. DONE! may take a few trys.

Thanks, for looking for some pics. I just don't want there to be any funny gaps around the cluster.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:04 AM
Here is the post from when I did my swap.
clicky

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 12:28 PM
Thanks for all of your help guys!

Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:17 AM
Well, I put a new battery in the remote, and it still won't program to the car. I tried about 25 different times, and I couldn't get it to work. I guess I am just not going to have keyless for my car until I get a new remote.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:43 AM
Have you tried this?

Step 1. Turn ignition off

Step 2. Ground the program pin.(within one second, Lock, Unlock and Trunk will cycle to indicate module ready for programming.)**the program pin is the two wire connector plugged into the RKE reciever in the trunk of the vehicle at the Left Wheelhouse. Leave the main harness plugged in but unhook the two wire connector and ground the pins.**

Step 3. Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons until:
Lock, Unlock, Trunk, and Horn cycles to indicate the transmitter has successfully been programmed.
(This takes no more then 12 seconds)
Step 4. Repeat step 3 for the remaining number of transmitters
Step 5. Remove the ground from the program pin.
Step 6. Verify proper operation of the transmitters.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:46 AM
lafonjef wrote:Well, I put a new battery in the remote, and it still won't program to the car. I tried about 25 different times, and I couldn't get it to work. I guess I am just not going to have keyless for my car until I get a new remote.

Bolded for emphasis... I tried doing the program procedure over and over and it wouldn't respond at all.

Monday, February 20, 2012 12:27 PM
So, I got the keyless working, kinda. After about 30 mins of playing with it I was able to get the key fob working, however it will only unlock the drivers door and open the trunk. I cannot get it to lock the car or open the passenger door. I know that you have to double click the unlock to get the passenger side unlocked (at least you did with the last car that I had with keyless) but I don't know what is going on with this. I tried reprogramming it but it wasn't working any of the times it was done.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:17 PM
That is weird. Maybe cleaning the key fob out. I don't know. Also, for my comment above. I did not know if you had the right steps for your year. I work at a dealership and those are the instructions I got out of a book for the sunfire for your year. Your key fob may also not be completely compatible with the key-less entry Do you have the numbers from the back of the keyfob and I can check for ya if it should work 100% for it.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:55 PM
Freelancer1988 wrote:That is weird. Maybe cleaning the key fob out. I don't know. Also, for my comment above. I did not know if you had the right steps for your year. I work at a dealership and those are the instructions I got out of a book for the sunfire for your year. Your key fob may also not be completely compatible with the key-less entry Do you have the numbers from the back of the keyfob and I can check for ya if it should work 100% for it.

Sorry if I came off as an a-hole, but I was just getting really frustrated with the whole thing.

The numbers off the back are:
GM: 16245100-29
CANADA: 218101368
MODEL/FCCID: AB01502T

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:54 PM
Update! Well, I think that there is a problem with the wiring between the remote module and the rest of the system. I can hear the module click when I hit the lock button on the remote, and the dome light turns on, but the doors do not lock. I really don't know what would be going on, but I am guessing that there is a bad wire somewhere. If anyone has any ideas on what else I might check before trying to run new wires please let me know.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search