alpine type r 12" - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
alpine type r 12"
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:14 PM
ive been wanting to get one for a while.. think im gonna be getting one soon
found one on cg that comes w/ an alpine made ported enclosure tuned @ 28Hz, he wants $200 for it
im trying to get it for 150 i think that would be a good deal

the thing is he thinks it dual 2 ohm, not dual 4 ohm and i will probably be using an alpine mrp500 amp
will this still be stable at 1 or 4 ohms?
and would 28hz be a good frequency?

Re: alpine type r 12"
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:15 PM
are the dual 2 ohms usually used when using two subs and one amp?
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:55 PM
ok the sub itself has 2 voicecoils. You CAN NOT just hook up 1 of them. so no matter how many subs or amps you have, you use each coil on the subs.

As for wiring, You do only have the option of 1 ohm total or 4 ohm total. And if I remember right, those MRP500's are only stable down to 2 ohms, so you would need to wire the sub to 4 ohms so as not to over strain and burn up the amp. That's not going to be a whole ton of power for 1 type-R but it will be enough to get you by.

Do you already have the amp or are you buying one? Because if you haven't bought an amp yet, don't get the MRP500 for just one Type-R. Get an amp that can run stable at 1 ohm and provide a reasonable amount of power. Those subs aren't my personal favorite but they're a decent "jack of all trades" kind of sub for the price.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:11 PM
yeah i understand i have to connect them series or parallel, hence giving 1ohm or 4 ohms
but anyways im looking to get something that will hit pretty hard without overdoing it, which really comes down to taste i guess..
ive been looking at type rs but havent seen any with decent boxes until this one, im guessing its decent since its made by alpine for the sub

also, i havent bought anything yet i keep trying to figure out exactly what i want lol
mainly just looking for a good deal on a sub then just get an amp that will work well with it, or buy the pair if possible

what other sort of setup would you suggest? i have decent speakers in my car, just not enough bass for my liking

and any advice on tuning?
sry for the questions im jus sorta new to car audio .. thanks again for the help
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:25 PM
If you are just looking to add a sub the pick up the low end that your speakers can't reach, I would say that Type-R in the Alpine box would be a perfectly good route. I don't see a newbie to car audio just trying to get some bass being disappointed in that sub.

Now as for an amp, I'm assuming since you're looking at a used sub, you're on a budget. And with that said, I would recommend something like this, if the sub is dual 2 ohm: http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-RUB1-1000D-Class-1000-Watt-Amplifier/dp/B00318I7RG/ref=sr_1_6?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1337221362&sr=1-6

It is rated at 600w RMS at 4 ohms and 1000w RMS at 1 ohm. This means you can wire the sub to 4 ohms,give that sub all the clean power it would need to perform, and the amp should be smooth and cool. Then when you want to upgrade down the road, you have plenty of power available and won't need to buy a new amp when you decide to upgrade.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:34 PM
Thanks for the advice, and ive never seen that brand before have you personally used one before?
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:26 PM
Any time someone is on a tight budget, I turn to SoundStream. Yes, I've used them many many times.
How much do I trust SoundStream Rubicon amps? Well here's my old Saturn: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=4&i=170117&t=170117#170117

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, May 17, 2012 9:43 AM
Right on man thanks again
You think.ill be fine running this of my battery or should I get a capacitor or another battery?
Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:23 AM
Your car will be able to handle it just fine. At best you might want to do a big three upgrade

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:39 PM
Yeah I was planning on doing that for sure
Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:27 PM
With the big 3, I don't see your amp pulling enough amperage while pushing a single Type-R to ever need more electrical upgrades.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Friday, May 18, 2012 11:18 AM
Yeah makes sense, thanks again
In your opinion, would you suggest a single type r 12" or 15" I cant make up mind
Friday, May 18, 2012 5:32 PM
3 8"s

Friday, May 18, 2012 7:45 PM
I guess it's all in what you want to do with it. I don't see why the typical daily driver who has upgraded his speakers and is content with them, is taking some bass off those speakers and putting a sub in to pick up the low end and maybe even occasionally toss in some rap and piss off the guy beside him with a tad too much bass wouldn't be happy with a ported 12. I would need to know a bit more about your intentions and tastes, but getting a 15 to perform to your liking is a little trickier than with the 12. If that makes sense to you.

And if you really want to upgrade and get a 12" sub with superior build and sound quality, I could always price you out a 12" Rainbow Hurricane Similar power handling, better characteristics, higher end, and not a whole hell of a lot more than what you're looking to spend on a USED 12" Type R.

So there, my advice AND sales pitch all in one response

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Friday, May 18, 2012 7:45 PM
Any details on that suggestion
Monday, May 21, 2012 8:04 AM
Hey man thanks for the advice, stuff has come up aswell so my system has been put on hold unfortunately
anyways about how much are you looking to get for that 12"?
Monday, May 21, 2012 5:39 PM
Well I sell Rainbow, it's not "what I'm looking to get for it". It's what I sell them for lol

But at any rate, here's a link to some info on the one I'm talking about:
http://rainbowcaraudio.com/hurricane12ng.html

And the price, if we still have some in the US right now, would be $265 shipped. it would come pre-wired to 4 ohms in the box ready to drop in, wire up and tune.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:07 PM
Oh ok do you sell online or do you have shop somewhere too?
Looks like a nice sub, just a bit out of my budget atm..
Re: alpine type r 12
Monday, May 21, 2012 10:43 PM
I have two alpine type r's in a ported box wired to one ohm and am running them with an autotek 2000 watt amp and a 1 farad rockford capacitor, I dont have the big three and dont have an extra battery and everything runs just fine if you can get it for 150 that is very good deal for a type r and as for an amp to run one sub a 500 watt amp wont power it to its full potential 1000 watt one ohm stable will be good for one

Re: alpine type r 12
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:00 AM
Yeah its a step up, but I forgot how much more it was than what you were looking at lol. New to new, a type r and quality box will still be in that area, but the used one you're looking at is fairly cheap. As for selling, I can sell to people, usually on forums, who don't have a local dealer, direct from rainbow USA. If there's a local dealer in close proximity to you, I have to support them.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search