Kenwood head unit turns on then shuts off immediatly? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Kenwood head unit turns on then shuts off immediatly?
Friday, April 27, 2012 12:29 PM
I have a 2000 cavalier and just got a whole new system. front, rear, and subs. and the head unit. and that stupid wire harness. but i plugged everything in and wired it all up. then i tried turning it on and the head unit lit up, and the door ajar bell went off. then it shut off and wont come back on.

I've heard this head unit is known for that?
Could it also be a fuse? someone said it may?

Re: Kenwood head unit turns on then shuts off immediatly?
Friday, April 27, 2012 7:18 PM
you can check the radio fuse in teh dash, and the fuse in the back of the headunit... there might be a reset button?? if its new i'd take it back if you can't figure it out
Friday, April 27, 2012 7:23 PM
do you know what a multimeter is and how to use it?

car audio noob since 1984.
Friday, April 27, 2012 7:32 PM
Yeah i checked the fuses and it wasn't them. I'm guessing it is just a faulty head unit.
Friday, April 27, 2012 7:33 PM
no i dont. but i have friends that work at garages. they may have one.

what exactly is it?
Saturday, April 28, 2012 11:27 AM
electrical multimeter.. use it to check voltage/continuity/resistance.. many more things
Saturday, April 28, 2012 5:04 PM
you bought the expensive harness to keep door chimes i take it?? Not sure how that one works but I did have to tap a wire in the fuse panel for the acc turn on wire with my $5 harness, sounds like something is hooked up wrong and HU going into a safemode or something or its a faulty HU, If its easy to take out, hook the black wire to ground and the red and yellow to positive and see if it turns on....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:58 PM
This was happening to my old Sony. Bought a Pioneer and swapped it out and it stopped happening.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:37 AM
Possible grounded speaker wire. Sending tge headunit into protection.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:04 PM
Rick wrote:you bought the expensive harness to keep door chimes i take it?? Not sure how that one works but I did have to tap a wire in the fuse panel for the acc turn on wire with my $5 harness, sounds like something is hooked up wrong and HU going into a safemode or something or its a faulty HU, If its easy to take out, hook the black wire to ground and the red and yellow to positive and see if it turns on....

+1

take the black connect it to ground

yellow and red to 12 volt and see if it turns on.. will at least tell if HU is junk or not
Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:35 AM
i have that problem if i have the car off i think its becuase of the battery not having enough power, when i have the car running works beautifully

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search