Passlock 1 issues 98 cavalier - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Passlock 1 issues 98 cavalier
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:36 PM
hey guys, got a few questions about the passlock 1 system. This week i purchased an remote start kit. the days leading up to the delivery i decided time to bypass the passlock system. i didnt want to purchase the bypass module since i couldnt seem to find it cheaper than 30 bucks, remote start cost me 12 plus shipping.

so i go online read up about bypassing it for 2 days. figured i could handle it easy since i have an electronics degree and such. know my way around cars blah blah. so i figured out i have to find the three wires white yellow and black. strip back the black wire and cut the yellow. then use my volt meter and check resistance between the yellow on the key side and the black. i did that got a solid 2.138k with the key in the on position. so i go to radio shack purchase some 2.2k resistors and some 86ohm ones so i could get the resistance perfect. got my resistance dead on bascially at 2.14k. hook up the resistor to the black wire and the yellow wire leading towards the car. then i go to start the car and it cuts off right away and theft system is blinking. i figured no big deal i have to do the learning procedure. turn the car on let it die out and theft system light stays solid. i am supposed to wait 10 minutes for the light to go off and then repeat the procedure 3 times for it to learn.

the issue seems to be when i do the learn procedure the light never goes out after 10 minutes so i cannot do the learn procedure for the new resistors. tried waiting longer 15 minutes no luck. tried a few differnt ways to get it to learn by not attempting to start it and just going to the on position. no luck. so i wire everything back the way it origianlly was supposed to be and the car starts fine. so i decied to just unplug the passlock system with the car running which puts it into the fault mode. car starts fine everytime now but the theft light is on all the time also which drives me nuts. i know i can desolder the led for that but i want to fix this right and have it bypassed properly.

in the mean time i installed the remote start system and it works flawlessly right now with the exception that the fault light is always on.

main questions are am i missing something with trying to bypass this? all i can think of is when i connect the resistor it and measure the resistance across it while in the car it is way wrong i believe it was in the megaohm range. why is it doing that? or that the resistance shouldnt be there when the car is in the crank position? also how do i get the system out of fault mode so i can start trouble shooting this again?

thanks for reading and the help guys

1998 Cavalier
1995 Trans Am
1984 Camaro Z28

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search