Factory amplifier 2003 LSS - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Factory amplifier 2003 LSS
Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:32 AM
I'm going to be installing a DD Alpine nav unit into my '03 LSS. what do you guys do about the factory amp? Do you guys just bypass it and run new speaker wires? I'm going to be using the stock speakers for now and then putting in aftermarket speakers later. I'll definitely be running new speaker wires when I change the speakers, but I want to know if I can run the HU with the stock amp until then. Thanks.

Re: Factory amplifier 2003 LSS
Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:53 AM
I bypassed the amp myself

Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:27 AM
i'm thinking I can just bypass the amp and not have to run new wires when I put the speakers in, by cutting the inputs and splicing them to the low outputs. I'm just wondering If I can run the amp with an aftermarket head unit for now.
Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:46 AM
JAY (Qwank) wrote:i'm thinking I can just bypass the amp and not have to run new wires when I put the speakers in, by cutting the inputs and splicing them to the low outputs. I'm just wondering If I can run the amp with an aftermarket head unit for now.

I am running a Pioneer HU on my factory amp. I plan on replacing the factory speakers and using an aftermarket amp for the new speakers, the factory amp I'm going to run 2 pairs of 1 inch tweeters (font & back)
Friday, August 31, 2012 5:07 AM
You might as well bypass the factory amp. You will get better sound and more power out of the Alpine deck. Id look at the inline Alpine amp. It just clicks inline of the harness for your deck and provides 45watts of clean power. Not bad for $100 and its tiny.
Friday, August 31, 2012 5:48 AM
Yeah I saw that factory amp, It does work with my HU too. I guess I'll just build the system a little at a time and see how it sounds at each stage.
Friday, August 31, 2012 6:19 AM
it sounds weird you mention this, but i had an extra 10 sub out of a cobalt, and hooked it up to the facotry amp, sub wires, its adual coil sub and left the regular wires to the 6x9's and it sounds really good for what it is.
Friday, August 31, 2012 8:22 AM
I meant Alpine Amp on my last post. can't edit it ???
Friday, August 31, 2012 11:18 AM
Philly D wrote:You might as well bypass the factory amp. You will get better sound and more power out of the Alpine deck. Id look at the inline Alpine amp. It just clicks inline of the harness for your deck and provides 45watts of clean power. Not bad for $100 and its tiny.

Most head units provide 45x4 watts... $100 for what?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, August 31, 2012 11:27 AM
alpine HUs only put out around 18w, if you want 45w you have to buy the tiny amp
Friday, August 31, 2012 1:21 PM
Oedwards wrote:
Philly D wrote:You might as well bypass the factory amp. You will get better sound and more power out of the Alpine deck. Id look at the inline Alpine amp. It just clicks inline of the harness for your deck and provides 45watts of clean power. Not bad for $100 and its tiny.

Most head units provide 45x4 watts... $100 for what?

I believe the 45*4 is peak power, RMS is somewhere between 18-24 on most.

Monday, September 03, 2012 1:41 PM
I install the radio today and it sounds great! I was really surprised how could I could get the factory speakers to sound after playing with the fader and internal high pass fileters in the radio. I think I'm going to leave the set up as is for a while, not even going to install my sub and amp. This is a daily driver/3rd car, so I don't want to put the money and effort into the radio any further.

Oh, and I used the Metra LC-GMRC-01 harness and it didn't require tapping into a 12v switched source from somewhere else. I just put the red to red and everything works perfect, radio/RAP/chimes.
Monday, September 03, 2012 4:23 PM
.... and now my odometer back lighting is inop
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search