Cobalt Pioneer woofer in a J - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt Pioneer woofer in a J
Sunday, October 07, 2012 2:23 PM
Found one for dirt cheap in a wrecked SS in the junkyard yesterday. Anybody tried hooking one up in a J? If so, how difficult was it, what was involved in wiring it, and how did it sound?

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"

Re: Cobalt Pioneer woofer in a J
Sunday, October 07, 2012 5:37 PM
They sound decent in cobalt's i would assume it would sound about the same in a j. And it should just be wiring and placement same as any other sub.

Have a nice day.
Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:26 PM
I had an 08 2LT Cobalt with that system. They sound great, deep solid tones, a good amount of thump without being too overbearing. I would definitely recommend installing one of these if you can get the placement right.
Friday, November 09, 2012 5:18 PM
couldnt get the placement exactly the way i wanted because jbody trunks arent as tall as deltas but i dont think it looks too horrible. sounds great though

Friday, November 09, 2012 5:32 PM
Well.....that makes my mind up about not ever doing that
Friday, November 09, 2012 6:17 PM
its alot harder than it looks. mostly due to the way our trunks are set up with the really highly arched hinge arms. that causes the biggest problem. stock trunk liner plays a big part too. it's do-able to get it flush mounted but not before i pick up an extra trunk liner. Id rather not hack up this one without a spare

Friday, November 09, 2012 6:51 PM
No..nothing against your effort at doing this.

It just doesnt fit like stock. So id rather make my own enclosure and make it fit like stock. Thats all.

I guess it sounded a little harsh. But im very picky.
Friday, November 09, 2012 7:21 PM
What yoire saying is exactly what i had originally intended to do with it. its just a lot harder than i had anticipated. sound quality wise it sounds great in the trunk of a j. very easy to wire the dual voice coils up to an aftermarket amp as well. your vision of.how it should look and mine are pretty much the same. this is simply the best i could do without all the extra supplies i need. i'll get there. i have all winter. oh interesting point ts ao mention, the pioneer rear speakers are direct bolt ins. connectors look the same as stock too. of coarse the speakers in mine i swapped them for were walmart specials.

Friday, November 09, 2012 7:31 PM
Sweet man I did this about a year ago works awesome, but doesn't fit for crap lol
Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:56 AM
i think i have it worked out to fit in place almost like stock. still taking measurements. its going to be mostly trial and error at this point

Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:06 AM
finally got it to fit right

Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:49 PM
Now that's better!

What did you have to do to make it fit?
Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:34 PM
Interesting, i was given one of these enclosures a while ago. Never tried putting it in the trunk. I planned to bolt it to my toolbox in the garage.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:50 PM
I had thought about this as well.

Questions.

Does this have a built in amp?

What did you do to make it fit as it is?

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:26 PM
the amp is under the cobalt dash, not in the sub

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2092536
Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:21 PM
First pull back your trunk liner and unfasten your keyless entry control box if equiped. 95-99 its held on with double sided tape. 2000+ is bolted on.

take a saw and cut about a 2 inch long notch in the top and bottom of the piece the keyless control box was fastened to.

grab some pliers and a hammer and bend the metal back. for those that are wondering, as far as i could tell that doesnt do anything structurally other than hold the module up. even if it does, bending it in this fasion actually will make it a tad stronger. much the same way that creases in your floor pan do.

Reposition your keyless module which may be a bit annoying to do it you have 2000+ as those modules are a tad on the large side. Put your liner back and place the woofer in position. takes a little finess but you wind up with about an 1 and 1/2 of clearance between the box and the trunk hinge. do note the cover has to come off. wont clear the hinges. I secured it with a couple really long self tapping screws.

cool tip to think about: when you snag one from the junk yard, clip the connector and wires that go into the factory harness. wiring in the stock connector into an amp actually makes for a good "quick disconnect" if you need to remove the sub to service anything in the trunk like the keyless module

Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:26 PM
The J-Z wrote:the amp is under the cobalt dash, not in the sub

very true. Found that out the hard way when i took apart the woofer box and found it empty lol.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:39 PM
Bookmarked. Pick n pull here i come!
Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:45 PM
Let me get this straight..... to install a hardly ok sounding sub in a plastic box, made to fit a different vehicle, you chopped up the cars structure and relocated a portion of it? Meh.... don't see the point of that.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, November 11, 2012 10:12 PM
im not out to win sound off competitions.... nor was that panel in any way serving any purpose other than to hold the keyless entry. otherwise i wouldnt have done it... that "plastic box sub" actually sounds decent and for the low price of $10 it does very well in comparison to the hundreds of dollars and labor hours ive seen other people put into their systems to achieve that "stock look". the cobalt woofer and back deck speakers are an easy upgrade for anyone that wants a clean and clear sound thats 1000000 x's better than stock and that wont rattle themselves sterile while going down the road... that is all its meant to be. so get THAT straight and let people do to their cars what makes them happy and respect them for that.

Monday, November 12, 2012 5:14 AM
I'm not saying you can't so what you want and be happy with it, I'm just saying if I put the effort into hacking up sheet metal for audio equipment in my dd, its not going ti he for that lol.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:19 AM
the only purpose of the sheetmetal is to hold the bracket. it isnt there on the other side.

i just had mine mounted to the floor, now im gonna remove that piece and install mine that way.

as for wiring mine had the stock amp, so i wired it up so the subs go to the sub and the rest goes to the 6x9's
Monday, November 12, 2012 6:40 AM
what year is yours snowman? wow why did i feel like burt reynolds for a second when i said that lol

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:13 AM
Mine has the sheetmetal of an 96 but the guts of an 2001 lol
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:40 AM
lol mine's kinda like that. shell is a 97, motor is a 98, tail is an 04, rims are 00, muffler is a cobalt ss. I asked because i wondered if mine was amped being a GT with the premium stereo. but probably not since yours is all 01 stuff.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search