Need help selecting an amp? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need help selecting an amp?
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:21 PM
I'm thinking of getting 2 Pioneer TS-W3002D4 12 In. Champion Series subs. It was a pick between 2 of these or an Audiobahn Immortal 15, and then I seen the price tag of the 15. Which means I'll be going with the 2 Pioneers. Would anybody be able to recommend an amp to use with them? Also, would i need to Dynamat my trunk at all for them?

Re: Need help selecting an amp?
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:31 AM
Can't say i have any experience with those subs, but seeing as how I haven't seen the respected car audio guys around here run Pioneer subs, i think they can point you in a better direction depending on what you're trying to do. Especially for Crutchfields price of $300 a pop haha.
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:02 AM
What is your goal and budget? Can't recommend anything(subs or amp) without knowing those things. From what I hear from people I know, those higher end Pioneer's can get pretty loud. But honestly, getting loud isn't what car audio is all about to me. If building a big ported box and pumping a ton of power to some subs just to get as loud as you can is your goal, I might not give the best direction but can still help.

But again, what's the budget and goal? Thanks. Also, what does the rest of your audio system consist of?

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:01 PM
I've heard good reviews/ comments on the JL Audio HD series and JX series amplifiers you might look into those . I personally own an A4300 Jl audio amp but haven't hooked it up yet so i can't give you a review on it , you may also look into Focal and Audison amps if sq is your goal. Hope this helps !

peformance parts for sale!! Click:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/62265/
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:04 PM
Or Rainbow But if he's looking into brands like Audiobahn for subs, and seeming to like big beefy booming subs, I doubt he's the kind of guy to get into the high end brands for amps as far as pricing goes, like Focal, Audison, or Rainbow etc.

Either way, I'll politely sit aside until he gives me info so that any recommendations are accurate and actually helpful.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:27 PM
My current setup is all stock speakers, a cheaper Pioneer head unit, a Sony Explode 12" 1300w sub, Sony Explode 10" 1100w sub, and a set of bass shakers running off of a California 2500w amp.

The setup I'm looking at is a Pioneer AVH 2400bt head unit, Rockford Fosgate T152 5.25" speakers for the front doors, Rockford Fosgate T1T-S Tweeters for the front doors, Rockford Fosgate T1693 6x9 speakers for the deck, with the speakers ran off of a Polk Audio PA D2000.2. Monster RCA cables for both amps. And thats where I got stuck with picking subs and an amp. I was looking at Infinity, Sundown Audio, Audiobahn, and the Pioneers I asked about.

I was told that Sundown was pretty much just competition, so i started looking at Infinity, then a guy came in to work with a pair of Immortal 12s in a Cobra that sounded amazing. I went with the Pioneers because of good reviews and the price tag on Amazon.

I want around 1700 to 2000 watts rms. I don't care for competition, but I do like my music loud. The kind of loud that you can easily hear 2 blocks away. Mostly rock and metal, but i guess that just depends on the amp tuning?

The only thing I'm dead set on is, that the subs have to be 12's, has to be a touch screen head unit #cd/dvd/aux multiple rca jacks#, and the Monster RCA cables, so I'm open to ideas on the entire system.

I really don't want to spend over $1500 but I usually shop on Amazon, so it could go a little higher than that if it has to.
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:10 PM
So let's say $1500-1700 for a complete setup? It seems you have some very rough ideas but some common misconceptions and big time no-no's mixed in.

Common misconception is that you need tons of power, regular speakers, adding in tweeters helps, etc etc. If you keep it simple, tune things right, and use higher end equipment, you can achieve much cleaner, clearer, louder, better sound all around

Get a really nice set of 6.5" component speakers up front with an adapter plate to mount the mids(component set includes the 6.5" mids, 1" tweeters and a sophisticated crossover to properly proportion and separate the frequencies.)

Then a nice head unit with all the features you want. This is where your budget might get strained since you want a touch screen. Any reason it NEEDS to be a touch screen?

As for your subs, this is obviously personal experience and preference, but I bet you would love a pair of Rainbow Amboss'. They're beefy, get loud, and sound realllllly nice doing it. And they don't require a whole crap ton of power. (Also keep in mind your cars charging system is stock and wont actually provide the amperage for those giant numbers your amp thinks it can put out. So stop focusing on giant numbers and think of efficiency and power usage in the equipment).

A pair of those Amboss' in a properly built ported box would definitely get you that volume and quality all wrapped up.

And that's honestly how I would spend that budget. Kick ass front components, no rear speakers or fade forward a bit and keep stockers back there if you want to please rear seat passengers at all, and good quality power/subs

As for bang for your buck on high quality amps, it can vary in all price ranges.

Info/specs on the Rainbow Amboss:
http://rainbowcaraudio.com/amboss12.html

If you wanted a matching Rainbow amp to power them, you'd be looking at the DM2000(1k watts RMS from a clean, properly rated and tested high end amp, that ACTUALLY puts out clean power, not just ratings and print on paper).

My sales pitch(not going to sugar coat it lol), that I think you would absolutely love for this setup:
Pair of 12" Rainbow Amboss subs http://rainbowcaraudio.com/amboss12.html
Find a good audio shop or custom box builder to make a nice ported box
Rainbow iPaul DM2000 to power them http://rainbowcaraudio.com/ipaul-dm2000.html
Rainbow Germanium or Sound Line components http://rainbowcaraudio.com/cs265-25germ.html
Rainbow iPaul 2.400 to power them http://rainbowcaraudio.com/ipaul2400.html

but that would go a bit over budget. I still stand behind the Amboss subs at $265 shipped to you each. Hand built German products, high quality in sound and build, and straight from the source with full factory warranty(something you almost will never get on Amazon, let alone from a high end brand). Especially comparing to the other stuff you've been looking at. When you say this guy's Audiobahn crap sounded good, keep in mind "Bad will sound good until you hear better." With a budget like that available, don't settle for just ok

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:14 PM
It does sound like a pretty nice setup. Would I need any kind of sound deadening, so i have no annoying rattling coming from everywhere?
Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:27 PM
Also, it really don't need to be a touch screen, but I've used a bunch of single din ones, and i just hate them. lol, I want to try a screen and see if they're any better
Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:16 PM
As for sound control products, it's nice to do. Be it deadening mat like Second Skin Damplifier Pro, and Cascade VB-Max Or a sound barrier to keep road noise out and music in like Second Skin's Luxury Liner pro. It's all going to come down to budget and over all plans/goals just like the audio products themselves.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:43 PM
imma hit you up one day JL on some Raindow components. IIRC you're a dealer for them right?

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:06 PM
Same here, I'll be looking into new components for my new car in the future.

Have a nice day.
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:15 PM
Not a dealer, sales rep basically. I sell on forums and such direct from rainbow USA to people who don't have local dealers.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:25 PM
Gotcha. Yeah there's no dealers around me here in Texas lol.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:56 PM
You are correct. Zero dealers in the entire state, yet 4 in Hawaii. Time to get talking to your local audio shops about picking them up

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search