Windsheild wipers causing engine to cut out - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Windsheild wipers causing engine to cut out
Monday, June 10, 2013 4:09 AM
So... I've run into an interesting problem. When I need to use my wipers, if I'm accelerating, my engine just cuts power for a second as the wipers are on their downstroke. Car drives fine when they aren't on, but when ever I hit the wipers my engine just loses all power for a second. It's fine at idle, but when at RPM's over 1500 you can tell it's happening, and the higher the RPM the worse it is. Does anyone have ANY idea as to what could be causing this?? The most recent thing I've done on the car were the spark plugs, but I can't see that causing it.

Re: Windsheild wipers causing engine to cut out
Friday, June 14, 2013 3:37 PM
Very odd... first time I've heard of that happening, but definitely something you should get fixed up..

I'd start with a new wiper motor. Maybe there's a loose wire there somewhere.
Sunday, June 16, 2013 5:07 PM
I'm betting it is a ground issue.

I have found our cars will steal ground from other circuits.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:48 PM
try replacing the wiper switch
Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:03 PM
I'm with Addicted, grounding issue is what I would look for first. Its free, can't beat free man. it could also be what happened to me the battery was going bad, go figure. I tried a battery for my other Cav and it fired right up and never had a problem, so I replaced it and its never happened since.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:51 AM
I remember watching a video recently on YouTube that was that same issue. Customer was complaining about whenever the lights went on, the vehicle lost tons of power.
guy tracked it down to a poorly connected/freyed ground wire leading to the fuel pump, which explained the lack of power/fuel when applying power to other accessories. It was a junction under the drivers seat (on the frame rail under the car). He just spliced in new wire and worked great.

start wiggling wires and run continuity tests. Also look at a wiring diagram and figure out what else shares power with the wipers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:52 AM

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search