00-02 Headlight Question - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
00-02 Headlight Question
Monday, March 03, 2014 10:20 PM
Alrighty, question here folks.
I have done some research and I cannot seem to find the answers on this website.
So I figured I would ask!
Has anyone ever switched the stock 9007 bulb in the 00-02 headlights to a H4 bulb?
If so, did it work the same way? Did the BCM respond the same way? Even though the resistance may have changed?

The reason I ask, is because I have obtained some projector headlights that came with some silly D2S bulbs in it which are single filament bulb. While I could use them I suppose, I still have to buy new Ballasts as they are HIDs.

So I modified a H4 bulb to fit into the housing. Now I am just wondering if they will behave okay with the stock BCM or will relays working with HID ballasts work with the BCM and cause no problem?

Re: 00-02 Headlight Question
Friday, March 07, 2014 8:41 PM
Do you have any pictures of the projectors? Also I believe you need to get rid of day time running lights

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Saturday, March 08, 2014 3:48 AM
Ya...

Ds2's are a hid bulb and H4's are a filment bulb. Kinda confused about what your doing.
Saturday, March 08, 2014 9:14 AM
Did you find used projector head lights for a cavalier or are you using projectors to do a retrofit. Most good projectors will be bi xenon and has a shutter in the projector that moves for high/low beams. With HID's you don't want to switch between high and low because they take a few seconds to warm up.
This is what I would buy to do a retro morimoto mini d2s
But yeah, post up some pictures or something of what you have.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
Saturday, March 08, 2014 11:29 AM
Alright, So i believe I have figured out my answer to all this.

I bought some projector headlights off of a member on here that aren't the "best" in quality but I understood that going in and might change the way it is later down the road.

Well here is the projector

AS you can see nothing fancy.

My question was, these headlights already have the D2S HID housing in them.
My first initial thought was that I do not enjoy the fact of only having 1 headlight type. Example, only low beam. I do occasionally travel out into the mountains at night and I hate the current vision of the stock bulb, and High beams would be beneficial.
So I thought I could just put a duel filament bulb into the housing. The only duel filament HID I could find that would fit into the D2S Headlight housing that I have is an H4. It fits only because of modifying the bulb trim to be cut down.

Now I know this is a crappy picture but the one on the left has a D2S bulb in it, and the one on the right has a modified H4 bulb in it.

Now by doing that I figured I had solved my problem of only having one consistent beam.

I also understand I would have to cut the Blue wire near the BCM to disable DRLs.

But I also have heard at the same time from others, as well as you Rick, that you don't want to do a high beam low beam switch... Which is still making me reconsider these headlights.

I might just later down the road purchase an actual projector and go that route by busting them open and swapping a actual projector like the one you linked into it so the HIgh/Low Beam problem wouldn't be a problem any longer.

Do you gentlemen catch what I am saying now?
Saturday, March 08, 2014 12:19 PM
Those "look" like the bi xenon projectors I was talking about, there is a shutter built in controlled by the red wires I'm guessing. So you have a single beam hid bulb and when you want low beams the shudder is up so you don't blind people. When u select high beams, the shudder goes down and the light output is brighter. I am not sure what you have for wiring but I believe retrofit source has a harness to make it easier.
Maybe bench test them and with lights on, give 12v power to red wires and see if there is a shudder that moves. I'm just on my phone but if you need more help I can try to find some links that better explain it later.

Also if you decide you don't want the projectors, pm me and I may be interested in buying them.

Saturday, March 08, 2014 12:41 PM
Wow.

Now I feel stupid. They do have the shutter built into them.

Although as far as I know I don't think the shutters work. But I will try and see.
Saturday, March 08, 2014 1:56 PM
Yeah I never really knew much about bi xenon projectors before. I have been looking at doing a retro since our headlights suck and nobody(an actual company) makes aftermarket projectors for our car. So only way is to do it yourself or buy used ones off someone that did a retro. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for those? Also if you just need stuff like just ballasts and your bulbs are still good, check our retrofit source in that link I gave you. You can buy complete kits or just individual parts. If it were me, I'd stick with the D2S bulbs as they are a common bulb, if you ever had a bulb burn out on you, they are a common factory hid bulb so they should be easy to find a replacement.
If you do get the shudders working and get them on the car, take some more pictures if you wouldn't mind.

Here is a picture to explain a shudder better, so when the shudder goes down(high beams), the light will go everywhere...

This is a link to the wiring harness I was talking about, you may be able to make it work your self but what this does is it will keep constant power for the HIDS whether you have low beams or high beams selected, but when you select high beams, it will open the shutter and light will stay on.

Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:23 PM
I bought the headlights for $80 total. just requires a harness as far as I am concerned.

The harness is the relay side of the ballast correct?
Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:45 PM
That's correct, that harness I sent you should work, if your good with wiring, you could probably wiring them yourself but a little bit to think about. $80 sounds like a great deal, I just spent $60 on a 2nd set of headlights to do a retro on. Still debating if I want to spend that much though, easily another $300+ in parts needed including hid kit.

Saturday, March 08, 2014 9:06 PM
I am in the same boat. I just spent money on 95-99 Toyo Tails and now these headlights with the thought of probably putting more money into these bad boys.

I do believe I am decent at wiring so I don't have any worry there.
My main concern is if the cars headlight system will still work with a relay controlled shutter system. In theory it should, and especially with the harness you linked it should too, because our headlights work in a ground controlled circuit which is reverse than others.

But I would still need to purchase a full HID harness. Front to back with Ballasts and Everything. Costly. Just like you were saying.
And I still have to test the shutters.

Saturday, March 08, 2014 9:35 PM
Pretty certain they would work, just have to disable daytime running lights.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search