95-99 Projector headlight set-ups people? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95-99 Projector headlight set-ups people?
Friday, June 13, 2014 11:06 AM
What set ups have you guys been using for your projector headlights for the lows and highs? I'm not happy with what i have right now. Original projector lows, and silverstar ZXE brights. i'd prefer to use both my lows AND highs. Looking for a better set up.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: 95-99 Projector headlight set-ups people?
Friday, July 11, 2014 7:54 AM
I'd put HIDs in the lows.

Friday, July 11, 2014 2:56 PM
^^^Same
Saturday, July 12, 2014 8:16 PM
i suggest 8000k. i have 6000k's now and miss my 8000k's. 8000k lights up everything in front of you extremely well, my 6000k's light up signs stupid far but only about 10-15 feet of road is really visible in front of my car.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 8:17 PM
and if someone is coming the opposite direction at night i can't see the road at all, even if they're decently far away.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:11 AM
Dante_k_late wrote:i suggest 8000k. i have 6000k's now and miss my 8000k's. 8000k lights up everything in front of you extremely well, my 6000k's light up signs stupid far but only about 10-15 feet of road is really visible in front of my car.
4300K or 5000K will give you the highest output. The higher the number, the more blue/purple the light, but the less bright they are. If your 8000K was brighter than your 6000K, it's not because of the color temperature. There is something else going on. Either you got a better bulb with the 8000, or something else changed, or it was just your perception, but saying that 8000K is brighter is not accurate.

The entire reason that the industry started to produce higher color temperatures was to mimic the blue that you get from many HID projectors above the cutoff line. However, factory HID bulbs are 4300K. This is because, all other things being equal (current, quality of vacuum in the capsule, and purity of salts), 4300K produces the most visible light, and is very close to pure white (5000K is pure white). The blue you get is just light bending near the cutoff shield, similar to a prism effect. The light shining on the road is white with no hint of blue.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:47 PM
Dante_k_late wrote:i suggest 8000k. i have 6000k's now and miss my 8000k's. 8000k lights up everything in front of you extremely well, my 6000k's light up signs stupid far but only about 10-15 feet of road is really visible in front of my car.

Were your 8000K's 55W or 35W? from what i understand, 55W is brighter than 35W. so if your 8000Ks were 55W and your 6000Ks are 35W, that would definetely do it.

after reading up and taking Quick's advice, I'd like to get 5000K 55W HID's. I'm just looking for the best lighting output, color doesnt make a difference to me. it's hard to shop for lighting when you can't physically see the performance differences in person, lol

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Friday, July 25, 2014 4:27 AM
FYI, here is a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about with the blue above the cutoff line of an HID projector.
Notice how most of the light is white, but right at the line, it changes to blue? That's why you see them as blue when you're looking at them, because that cutoff line is what keeps the majority of the light output from blinding oncoming drivers, but that prism effect causes the light to appear blue when viewed above that.

Hope this helps.

Attachments
hid color band.jpg (77k)

Friday, July 25, 2014 1:59 PM
Anyone have any luck retrofitting projectors in the 95-99 Cavs?
Sunday, July 27, 2014 10:37 AM
Steve D. wrote:Anyone have any luck retrofitting projectors in the 95-99 Cavs?
I retrofitted an APC projector with a Valeo D1S low beam only projector a few years ago, and it worked out well, but I never did the other side because I'm going with a much more custom setup using a pair of one-piece projectors

I've also seen another set of APC projectors retrofitted with FX-R bi-xenon projectors and they came out very good.

You could use a Morimoto Mini H1 in a stock housing if you wanted to (or one of the crystal clear non-projector aftermarket headlights) very easily.

The projector in the APC units are a 3" lens, so any 3" low-beam only HID projector would work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 28, 2014 6:29 AM

Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:46 PM
That was exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks Mr Quick!

My dilemma is that I've got a pair of those APC projectors, but unfortunately the lens on one has turned yellow ( yet the other is fine, so strange...)

I had originally planned to retrofit proper projectors into the APC units, but now I'm thinking maybe better to just use the stock housings.

Friday, August 08, 2014 9:28 AM
I RECENTLY BOUGHT PROJECTORS FORM TUNERSDEPOT IN CALIFORNIA AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM.THEY SET ME BACK $600 CDN, BUT I DONT CARE 6000K ROCKS THE HELL OUT OF MY OLD 55W HALOGENS!NOW I HAVE TO ORDER LIGHT SMOKE LAMIN-X PROTECTORS TO SLAP OVER THEM TO GUARD FLYING ROCKS ,BUGS AND CRAP!

BLACKMANTIS
Friday, August 08, 2014 9:37 AM
Your caps lock is on again.... thought you should know.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search