Passlock Bypass Methods - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Passlock Bypass Methods
Friday, August 08, 2014 9:58 PM
I'm going to be installing a remote starter soon and I've been looking into Passlock bypasses for my 2004 Cavalier. I'm tempted just to do a permanent resistor bypass for simplicity, though my main concern is reliability.

I came across this circuit which looks great to me:

In its unpowered state, the key and everything works like normal since the yellow wire is just passing right through the relay. When the remote starter's Status Output (-) flips on, it's bypassed as if the resistor is spliced right in. From what I've read on a couple sites, a resistor's resistance can potentially change enough with the temperature to be out of the range that the passlock system is expecting. With the relay setup, if my remote starter doesn't work, I could still use the key just fine.

However, in most of the circuits that I've seen on Google Images, there's 2 to 4 relays involved, for example:

Are there any advantages to that method over the one relay setup?

Then there's this, which I've seen just once. The poster claims to have done it on a few vehicles, though most of the thread is fighting and there doesn't seem to be any proof. It seems fishy considering all the other methods that I've seen don't touch the white wire at all, though I thought I'd ask!
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=32116

Re: Passlock Bypass Methods
Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:18 AM
Get a 555l or a PLJX. Much more reliable than the diodes.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search