Q-Forms Different in Coupe and Convertable? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Q-Forms Different in Coupe and Convertable?
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 3:16 PM
I bought a set Q forms on ebay, i think they were for a convertable cavalier but i'm not sure, i dont have access to my Z24 for another few months, is there a way to tell if they will fit? is there only one type of q-form for cavs?

Re: Q-Forms Different in Coupe and Convertable?
Friday, April 17, 2015 7:13 PM
Q logic never made Q-forms that were specifically designed to fit in the convertible j bodies. If you wanted to put Q forms in the verts, you had to heavily modfiy them, since the contours of the front floor panel area in the verts were different than those in the sedans and coupes (due to the verts having more structural bracing in that area).

Frankly, that is not the only aftermarket floor item that was never specifically manufactured to fit the verts. The other was replacement carpet. The only way to get a true convertible replacement capret was through GM, which only came in two colors and was ungodly expensive. Lots of aftermarket firms and eBay sellers marketed comparatively inexpensive carpets that were advertised as vert specific, but none of them were (were just standard sedan/coupe carpets).

But back to the Q forms: I got a set to fit in my vert perfectly, by literally covering the front corner floor panel area with a plastic trash bag and then covering it with thin past of paper mache. When it dried, that gave me a removable form that I carefully cut to fit inside the q form, which allowed me to mark where the form needed to be trimmed so it would snugly fit the front floor panel area. There was one area near the lower front bottom of each form that needed to be built up, which I did with fiberglass. The forms were then held in place by screws in the front area that went under the door sill trim strip (which had to be cut shorter to allow for the Q form).

So for all I know, I may be the only (or one of the few) people who ever successfully installed Q forms in a J body convertible.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search