led/neons wiring question - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
led/neons wiring question
Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:17 PM
Hey so i know the basics of how to install aftermarket lights in a car but question for someone who knows electrical better then i do. Am i able to run a standard positive and negative as well as a trigger wire to say the courtesy lights? or will it be more technical then that with relays etc.? The plan is to have a few neons wired to my acc switch as well a trigger wire for doors and trunk

ReD RaiN

Re: led/neons wiring question
Monday, December 14, 2015 5:59 AM
I had my whole interior wired into dome light. 6 led light strands with no issues. But going bigger or drawing more amps will cause wires to fail or if lucky just blown fuses. Neon lights require more then interior light design can handle. Keep amps down and should be ok and leds are best bet for that.
Monday, December 14, 2015 9:35 PM
So it's possible to wire them to acc for when the car is running and have the same lights on for courtesy when the car is off? Just didn't know how that'd work if the car was running and u opened the door... Then that'd be like 2 power sources. Didn't know if that'd screw with the bcm or computer somehow

ReD RaiN
Tuesday, December 15, 2015 5:32 AM
Ok I miss under stood you you would need a relay set up then.
Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:04 AM
Simple 4 prong reverse relay 2 positive 1 ground 1 deactivator. Hook it up so when acc comes up threw both positive poles since its runs a higher amp. Bring 1 wire from doors to deactivator to kill power to acc. Run both door and after relay power to lights. When you open door will tell relay to kill power to lights from acc.
Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:26 AM
I was trying to find a deactivator relay so I can send the link but no luck might want to try radio shack or a electronic store and see if they can find something for you. Both being on isn't a issue but when one's supposed to be off and is still getting power is a def story.
Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:37 AM
Now that I think about it would 2 on each side. To shut each side off. Let me get back to on this one I'm way past my bed time (night shifts )and when I wake up and can think straight I'll see what I can come up with.
Wednesday, December 16, 2015 12:04 AM
Alright cool thanks for the help

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search