Help... Alt issue - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help... Alt issue
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:16 AM
Does anyone know where I can go to get a new pulley for my alt so that it will spin quicker 20% or so. I purchased a high-output unit but at idle the car just doesnt RPM high enough. Im looking for links info or anything. Thanks in advance.

Re: Help... Alt issue
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 12:22 PM
Doing that will greatly reduce the life of the alternator. I wouldnt recommend it.

"all your bass are belong to us"
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:31 PM
The manufacture wants me to change my idle to 950rpm.... no thanks. As for the life of the alt I dont care just needs to be done.
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:38 PM
the car is a 99 cav 2.2l
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:42 PM
Raise the idle RPM's and be done with it..

Why is that a problem for you?

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 6:25 PM
I guess its not an issue would it be good for the engine? I was told that the car would check engine on me if i did that. Also I couldnt find a tool to adjust the 5 pronged set screw for the life of me.
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 1:03 PM
Anyone?
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:51 PM
I'm not sure about the 5-sided tool.. But many many cars have a "high idle" when cold function.. And once the engine gets up to operating temperature it'll drop down to the normal rpm.. 950rpms is nothing, compared to the daily routine..

I saw a thread on Termpro.com about this 5 sided tool, but I don't know if he ever found it.. I'll ask a few buddies about it..

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 3:06 PM
see if you can find a torx to turn the screw, assuming it isn't a tight screw. Using a tool not quite suited only once won't hurt it as long as you don't put too much pressure on it.

Hell hath no fury like a pissed off balloon animal.
Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:42 AM
It is a tight screw - Tried to Torx it no luck really. Anyone else? Pully wise or a tool to adjust idle speed on a 99 cav 2.2
Monday, February 21, 2005 10:00 PM
why don't you do something to shim the throttle plate slightly open. It's a bit of a hack, but it would work if you can't find a better way. It sounds to me like you're going for the band-aid approach on this. If the alternator manufacturer says you have to change your idle, tell them to screw the F#$% off. The car was meant to idle where it is, and changing the idle point just to make thier crappy alternator work is .

Monday, February 21, 2005 10:50 PM
band aid approach..... and you suggest he shim his throttle butterfly open?.... hmmm
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search