The BIG 3 or just 2 - Page 2 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: The BIG 3 or just 2
Wednesday, February 09, 2005 9:03 PM
i always usee red for pos and black/blue/silver for neg. basically, anything other than red. i always make red pos

Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:04 PM
wysiwyg wrote:ground to the tranny??

and yea, i use the opposite, dunno why, i guess i've always been a "dark is ground, light is hot" kinda guy, lol.

The TRANNY is mated to the ENGINE, which the ALTERNATOR is grounded to. You can ground all you want to the CHASSIS, but in reality, your engine and tranny are sitting in rubber, or urethane mounts. This way the current transfers from the Tranny, to the Red top under the hood, and also another 0guage ground goes from the Red top to the Chassis. The bolt on the Tranny is DIRECTLY under my INTAKE, and VERY accessable, and a short distance to the Battery. About 15 inches of wire I think.

^^^^ This was the pic that I messed the link up on earlier.

And I use SILVER for ground, I use to have RED for POSITIVE, but I took it all out and switched to BLUE to better match my car. I have so much SCRAP ) guage layin around. I bought a 25ft roll of Blue, and SILVER. Plus all the RED I use to have in my car.

Thursday, February 10, 2005 7:01 PM
yes, the alternator grounds to the engine, which is in turn mounted TO the chassis. You can ignore that in this equation by grounding your wire directly to the chassis. which is what i did.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Thursday, February 10, 2005 8:11 PM
for reference...here is the positive connection on the alternator. This is looking from underneath the car.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Thursday, February 10, 2005 8:15 PM
wysiwyg wrote:yes, the alternator grounds to the engine, which is in turn mounted TO the chassis. You can ignore that in this equation by grounding your wire directly to the chassis. which is what i did.

The ENGINE sits in MOUNTS, which ARE NOT a direct connection, they are joints that move. Stock mounts have rubber in them, My mounts have Urethane in them, You still should UPGRADE the ENGINE/TRANNY ground to the CHASSIS w/ the same size wire you are using for your POWER WIRE. If not, thats on you.

Thursday, February 10, 2005 8:19 PM
Thanks for the pic Wysiwyg... Seems pretty straight forward except for the space issue..

''If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!''
Thursday, February 10, 2005 8:20 PM
James (ROLN19S) (JuicyJ) wrote:
wysiwyg wrote:yes, the alternator grounds to the engine, which is in turn mounted TO the chassis. You can ignore that in this equation by grounding your wire directly to the chassis. which is what i did.

The ENGINE sits in MOUNTS, which ARE NOT a direct connection, they are joints that move. Stock mounts have rubber in them, My mounts have Urethane in them, You still should UPGRADE the ENGINE/TRANNY ground to the CHASSIS w/ the same size wire you are using for your POWER WIRE. If not, thats on you.

yes i know this...that is why you don't do either...and ground the alternator directly to the chassis!! forget about the engine and tranny. ground your battery to the chassis, and the alt. to the chassis. my two grounds have about 20" in between them....the engine/tranny isn't involved!!!

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Thursday, February 10, 2005 9:33 PM
but your Wire is EXPOSED, maybe I'm more into the Show aspect than you, I wanted mine to be there, but also look CLEAN.

Friday, February 11, 2005 9:21 AM
its good to see arguing going on about something more relevant then what sub hits harderst.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, February 11, 2005 11:37 AM
Quote:

is there a physical (not electrical) diffrence between ground wire and power wire? i mean is there diffrenet strands in power and ground? also whats the best way to cut 0 gauge wire?

anyone?

Friday, February 11, 2005 2:15 PM
rapfiend03 wrote:
Quote:

is there a physical (not electrical) diffrence between ground wire and power wire? i mean is there diffrenet strands in power and ground? also whats the best way to cut 0 gauge wire?

anyone?

just the color. 0 awg is 0awg. if it's from different companies, there may be slight deviations in say the strand count, but it's all wire none the less.

and the way i cut the big stuff is just cut it all the way around and yank the insulation off. use a knife or something.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Saturday, February 12, 2005 12:18 PM
Why fuse the + to the alt?

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Saturday, February 12, 2005 2:14 PM
Fire Fighter wrote:Why fuse the + to the alt?

why not? i fuse all my positive wires, you never know what could happen. especially a wire with that much current flowing through it.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Saturday, February 12, 2005 4:41 PM
If i'm not mistaken, there's a fusible link in the stock alt-to-battery wire.. IF you replace the stock wire, it'd make sense to protect the wire just like the stocker was..

More importantly, what amperage fuse should go there? Say for a 1/0 wiring.. With 275A of potential draw, not that it'd ever pull that much though..

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:11 PM
Star Quester wrote:If i'm not mistaken, there's a fusible link in the stock alt-to-battery wire.. IF you replace the stock wire, it'd make sense to protect the wire just like the stocker was..

More importantly, what amperage fuse should go there? Say for a 1/0 wiring.. With 275A of potential draw, not that it'd ever pull that much though..
i used a 300 amp fuse. same with the 1/0awg going to the rear battery in my trunk.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:11 PM
oh, and if you don't think you'll ever pull that much current...short your wire out to direct ground and see if your fuse blows. lol.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:19 PM
Already had that happen a few years ago.. Smoked my mtx 81000d and both VC's on my sub..LOL The fuse didn't blow haha..

I think i'll just go with a 300amp ANL...

I wonder how the stock alt is gonna handle this.. We'll see.

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:26 PM
Star Quester wrote:Already had that happen a few years ago.. Smoked my mtx 81000d and both VC's on my sub..LOL The fuse didn't blow haha..

I think i'll just go with a 300amp ANL...

I wonder how the stock alt is gonna handle this.. We'll see.

i'm running 3,000 rms on mine...alternator seems to be ok.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:16 AM
What size fuse should I run then with 4 awg wire?

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, February 14, 2005 4:58 PM
???

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, February 14, 2005 5:47 PM
125 amp

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Monday, February 14, 2005 5:52 PM
sndsgood wrote:its good to see arguing going on about something more relevant then what sub hits harderst.

no its not.. shuddup

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 1:00 PM
Hey to everyone..im curious about the big three..i have upgraded them but i think i may have done it wrong. I got 0g from the battery to the batt tray and then to the block in the stock locations...do i need to go directly to the chassis. Also the one that screws me up the most is the alt. I got a 4g wire from my pos of the alt to the battery. Do i leave the stock wire on or not? do i need to ground the alt or is the upgraded chasis to block enough.....i get alot of light dimming and i am not running much power acually i get light dimming when i get real close to redline..whickh i know is messed..any help guys????..phil
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:30 AM
this post helped out alot!! someone should sticky the BIG 3 setup and thanks for the pics too.

--------------------
Brian D.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search