Do i need to upgrade... - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Do i need to upgrade...
Monday, March 07, 2005 11:03 AM
I have a 280 watts rms with an 8 gauge/60 amp inline fuse power cable from batt to amp... my question is the new amp that i will be getting is either going to be 400 watts rms or 600 watts rms (dont know yet)... do i have to upgrade the inline fuse/power cable??? or i can stay with them....
please let me know...
Thanx

Carlo

Re: Do i need to upgrade...
Monday, March 07, 2005 12:46 PM
I would upgrade to 4 gauge/100 amp fuse. Never a bad bet.

Monday, March 07, 2005 1:19 PM
Yeah, I would say upgrading to 4 gauge might help you out.

-Chris
Monday, March 07, 2005 3:52 PM
Its a good idea, but i ran a 1100 watt memphis off of 8 gauge and a 60 amp fuse for a year before i ripped the system out of my old car and never had a problem with blowing a fuse and it certainly didnt sound like it was starving for power. but i think some amp manufacturers might not honor warranties if you dont supply the amp correctly....not entirely sure tho.
Monday, March 07, 2005 6:41 PM
definitely go with 4ga wire.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."
Monday, March 07, 2005 6:51 PM
ya the recommended Gage is: up to about 400 rms is 8 AWG and above is 4 AWG (and of course larger for really big power). really for as short of run like a cavy 4AWG would be good for just about anything your ears can handle(before you need to rethink power options aswell). or just run 2X4AWG just because they are easier to run and conseal then anything bigger. but because of the run being so short, like Nick said, you can run it for a long time with no major problems on 8AWG even on a little more power then recommended
Monday, March 07, 2005 6:55 PM
before i knew what i was doing, i ran my 3000 RMS amp off 8 guage. that @!#$ got hot, but never blew a fuse. the amp WAS starrved fror power though and when i switched to 4 guage, noticed a huge dufference

Monday, March 07, 2005 8:40 PM
THANX GUYS FOR THE ALL THE HELP...!!!!

I AM GOING TO TRY IT OUT FOR NOW (8 GAUGE WITH 60 AMP FUSE) and if I see problems ill upgrade it...

I'll let you know how it goes... I can't wait... getting the amp tomorrow night!!!! it's going to be crazy... im going to experience from about 280 wattts rms in to 1 sub TO 600 WATTS RMS IN 2 SUBS (300 RMS EACH)..... holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!!! it's like the car will have a hydraulic system!!!! just kidding...

Carlo
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 4:06 AM
Someguy, what amp do you have that does 3000 watts rms?

Beat it like it owes you money
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:15 PM
I'm doing 280 rms, but ran 4ga because I might expand my system, and because I know that the wire won't overheat and my amp will get all the power it could need while I'm low powered.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search