WTF? did i fry a channel? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
WTF? did i fry a channel?
Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:19 PM
i had my 6x9's runnning parallel off one channel(2 ohms) and today when i was driving aroound, one it started distorting. until the distortion got worse and worse and then eventually the speakers just stopped putting out music. when i put the volume up, it'd play distorted, when i put it down, silence. and then eventually it just stopped playing all togather. i thought i had blown a speaker or somethng, but then i tested it onanother channel that was fine and both of them sprung to life.

RF 400a4 running Pioneer 5 ways. i took a multimeter to it and the volatge is REAL low. its giving something, but no where near what the other channels are giving(actually, i only got one good channel left, time to send it in for repairs i spose.)

Re: WTF? did i fry a channel?
Sunday, March 06, 2005 10:20 PM
probably blew capacitors for that channel on the amp. Or at least have pretty much destroyed them if not completely blown.
Monday, March 07, 2005 3:41 AM
easy fix? buy some capacitors and solder them in where the old ones were? hopefully inexpensive?

Monday, March 07, 2005 5:15 AM
Open the amp up, and take a picture of what fried/exploded.

Beat it like it owes you money
Monday, March 07, 2005 9:55 PM
does it have warranty?

If no, Then,

#1) Unwire amp, and remove from car

#2) Smash amp, and place in garbage

#3) Go to local audio store, and buy new amp

have a nice day,

-kyle

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 4:03 AM
If you take a pic, I can tell you what fried, and you could possibly fix it bro

Beat it like it owes you money
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 7:15 PM
well i took it to a shop and they opened it up. i'll take a pic tomm, i didnt have any batteries but the guy told me channel 1 and channel 3 are fine, channel 2 is playing real low and channel 4 is dangerous to hook anything up to. one capacitor is fried and theres like 2 or 3 other things that look blown too. for now i have the back speakers parallel off channel 1(2 ohms, 150 watts, so they get 75 each) and the front speakers are the same offchannel 3)

the amp came like this when i bought it off ebay, the guy claims it was fine when he shipped it out, but honstly, how can a capacitor fry during shipping? i shipped it to my cousins house and then he bought it to me when he came to visit, so unless a plane raide in a suitcase can screw an amp, i doubt it. either way, it'd be too much of a hassle to ship thsis back to NY so that my cousin can ship it back to the guy for 100 bucks. the repair shop wants 70 bucks to replace the capacitor and the other 2 little things(one of them looks like a blue tower with a lead coming out of the top and then down to the board and the other looks like a grey tower on its side... i dunno, pics tomm)

i think 75 to repair an amp i pait 100 for is a bit steep

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 6:53 PM
if it was working when you got it , i doubt that it had any problems before the guy shipped it.
Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:30 PM
it wasnt working when i got it. it has two fried channels and 2 good ones when i recieved it.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:04 PM
chalk it up as a loss.....hell re-sell it on ebay and make up some of your loss. lmao

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:17 PM
Those lil cylinders you're talking about are capacitors. Take 'em out (use your soldering iron so you can put the new ones in easy) and take all them to Radio Shack or any other electronics store and tell them "I need to buy a new set of these caps" they'll help you get the ones you need. Oh yea, b4 you take the fried ones out, take pics so you put the new ones in correctly (they're one-way)

Friday, March 11, 2005 6:03 AM
yea, i didnt wanna bother with sending back, refunds, ect. i payed 100 bucks for it, 2 good, too bad, so im out 50 bucks. and as of now, 150 watts to 2 speakers is the same as 75 watts to 1, so the way i have it wired i'll i'm losing is stereo sound. i'll re-sell it in the future and buy the 800a4. when i buy my components.

how much do those caps go for? i'll fix it myself if it'll run me 15, 20 bucks, after that, i dontthink its worth it

Friday, March 11, 2005 9:57 AM
At Radio Shack, you're lookin' at like 2-3 apiece, so it depends on exactly how many you need. If it really is just three, probably about $11 or so w/ tax. It'd be a good idea to use new solder on it too, so if you don't have any that'd add about 3-4 dollars.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search