Capacitator Cap Wiring? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Capacitator Cap Wiring?
Sunday, March 13, 2005 12:30 PM
I bought a 1.0 farad cap to use with my 980 watt amp and two alpine Type S12'S..well my problem is that the voltage in the system still drops as low as it did without the cap..so i was wondering if it was maybe that i wired it wrong or if they need to like charge up for a while or something?
This is how i have it wire..i just have the power wire spliced into both terminals

[FROM BAT.]>-----------+----------+--------[AMP]
[ cap. ]
[ ]

Re: Capacitator Cap Wiring?
Sunday, March 13, 2005 12:33 PM
no, it's because caps do not raise your voltage. nor do they produce it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Sunday, March 13, 2005 12:37 PM
wysiwyg wrote:no, it's because caps do not raise your voltage. nor do they produce it.

i no..i thought they stored it up inside until there was a bassnote..
I'm just trying to get my lights to stop dimming so bad
Sunday, March 13, 2005 12:53 PM
big 3....and upgrade your battery.

it you still have voltage problems. look into an alternator.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Sunday, March 13, 2005 1:28 PM
Basically, your cap has a + and - terminal on it. Take the - and run a ground wire to that. Then, take the positive from the amp, and hook it to the + terminal on the cap. Then, run a new positive from that + terminal back to the amp. Most of the time, they cap will come with a resister or lightbulb that they recommend hooking inline to pre-charge the cap before making the connections final. But, it's mainly to reduce the spark to the cap, so if you've already hooked it up, it won't matter anyway. In design, a cap is supposed to act as a mini-battery, storing a little charge, which it would release when the system has a voltage drop, i.e. bass notes. A million people on here tell you they are worthless. I've always used them. In my system, it's made a difference. (Yes, I should get another battery, and bigger alt. but I haven't yet). But for your question, that's how it would be wired.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 6:31 PM
you wire the positive side into the garbage, and the negitive side into the dumpster

Sunday, March 13, 2005 6:35 PM
+ on batt to + of cap to + of amp
- on batt to ground, ground to - on cap to - on amp.

that is how i hooked up the cap on my freinds system and it worked great. well for his application. some systems only need the big 3, others need a cap. most dont need eather. i'm running about 800 watts, my lights used to dim all the time, then i bought a new battery, nothing fancy, just a cheap $80 battery from wal-mart. works great, no dimming anymore.

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Come on down to Evolution Audio in Edmonton Alberta, and I can HOOK YOU UP.
Sunday, March 13, 2005 9:23 PM
ok i was wiring it wrong..btw i use an Optima red top for my battery
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search