What Subs Should I Buy? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What Subs Should I Buy?
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 6:39 AM
Hey guys. I am in the market for a pair of new subs and an amp. I've had Sony before, which is CRAP, and I just recently bought a Rockford P312D2 sub, but the foam around the ring keeps ripping. It seems to be a common problem. I love the Rockford sound, but am getting sick of returning them. I am going to sell my current P3 before it rips again. I'm not sure what kind of subs to buy now. I want a quality sub that looks nice. I'm looking to spend around $400 to $500 on two subs and an amp. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of sub to get? Anyone have a particular brand of model you like or have had good luck with? Thanks in advance for any input.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Re: What Subs Should I Buy?
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:09 AM
Prepare thyself for a million answers, all of which will say nothing lol. It's so hard to go by what everyone else is running, or has, because we may have different tastes and styles of music, and our subs would be set-up to those. I have dual Audiobahn AW1205Qs and an A18001DT Amp. I have always loved their stuff, and have never had probs with it. But a lot of people will also tell you they suck, blah blah blah, and you should use XYZ brand. That's what I run, and am very happy with it.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:02 AM
actually, I used to have 2 audiobahn 10's which I loved, they always sounded good, adn still do in my friends car (I sold them to buy my cavalier) also, price wise, I spent exactly $500 on them with a 200-watt amp, which was more than enough
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:06 AM
Subway 12" Meatball or a Steak & Cheese

09 HHR LS, Wife's Car
05 Cavalier, Clarion DXZ375MP, Autotek MM8000.5 & 13Kv.2, wife's old car, updates coming soon
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:32 AM
cardomain has a really good price on Infinity Reference subs.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 1:00 PM
i prefer sweet onion chicken teriaki
or could go with a quizno's toasted sub...

up to you

in all seriousness, kicker

Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:03 AM
i have a p3, and i have no probs. but i also have a cover over the front of it. i dont know what happened to yours, but i would try to replace it or just try again. i got mine with a box for $316, not exactly breaking the bank.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 10:27 AM
audiobahn or Jl.............I prefur JL tho

Pat
Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:33 PM
blackmore, powerbass, or american bass I know these brands are unknown but I love these companies
Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:08 PM
JL is extremely overpriced in my opinion, so is rockford for their decent stuff... don't get me wrong, i think they're both good quality if you spend enough, just too costly. i have an infinity kappa perfect 12 in a sealed box, sounds great to me. you may spend close to 200 or so for it, i'm not sure, i got it heavily discounted through work, but it is a great sub if you want SQ. it also leaves you with 2-300 for an amp.... it's all opinions, i'm sure you can find tons of posts on subs that people are running, that'd probably be the best way to see what might be good, other than actually checking out some audio shops and listening for yourself...

Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:35 PM
You cannot go wrong with Audiobahn.

Sunday, March 20, 2005 5:57 AM
i too have the audiobahn subs and i love em they are being pushed by a power acustik amp and it almost seems if i had a better amp they would hit allot harder if i did
in my grand am i had orion subs and wow those were being pushed by the orion comp amp they hit as hard as the audiobahns or a jlw7

can i haz bondo
Sunday, March 20, 2005 9:21 AM
alpine alpine alpine

Not unintentionally accelerating since 2009!!!!

Sunday, March 20, 2005 7:40 PM
JL 13W7's
then get a 1000 Watt mono amp to go with it

Sam
Sunday, March 20, 2005 7:47 PM
reason your sub keeps ripping is becaus eit to big of an enclosure or to small, if its sealed, make it smaller or make it bigger, or port it than it will stop riping on you, i say stick with the p3

Sunday, March 20, 2005 10:26 PM
OK. Audiobahns are great...if you feed them the power they want. While most subs will perform decently underpowered, the audiobahns I've seen don't. Personally, I say go with an infinity or an mtx. Infinities are great for good quality, easy to find amps for, and they can take a beating in terms of wattage. My reference is rated to 250 rms, but can take 1000 peak, while most can only take approximately 2x rms. In my humble opinion, Kappa and Kappa perfect are not that much better than reference to justify the price. Mtx is an awesome brand for durability, hit, and price. What it all comes down to is what kind of sound you like, what kind of look you like, and what kind of price you're account likes.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search