PLEASE, NEED HELP... - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
PLEASE, NEED HELP...
Monday, March 21, 2005 6:21 AM
I need to upgrade both the power cable and the ground cable for my amp from 8 gauge to 4 gauge... I have to do it myself... F.Shop is going to charge me 60$ cuz it's like a new install (pass the wiring - > that's there excuse) and my general mechanic has been extremely busy for the past 2 weeks.. anyways...

my question is, in what order do i disconnect the power + ground cables and how to connect them afterwards ... what order??? do i remove the fuses on the amp before redoing the wires???? please tell me with some details... just worried about static cuz im dealing directly with the battery.. please let me know ASAP... thank you...!!!

p.s. what is the tool i need to crimp the wire onto the ring adapter which is then connected to the battery terminal and/or when connecting it to ground??? do i have to solder it too to it????

Re: PLEASE, NEED HELP...
Monday, March 21, 2005 9:54 AM
anyone???
Monday, March 21, 2005 10:09 AM
well, I always hook the + up last, at the battery. It'll spark, but it's gonna spark no matter what connection you make, or where. That's just the way I do it.

Monday, March 21, 2005 10:22 AM
ok... but when i am ready to remove the wires... which one do i take off first??? the ground that is in the trunk or the + if the battery???
Monday, March 21, 2005 11:20 AM
remove the fuse from your power line (under the hood). Disconnect the power from the amp, and pull it out to the engine compartment. Take all the 8ga shyte out, and start stringing in your 4ga. Do not connect it to the amp yet, and leave the new fuse out of the holder that came with your 4ga. Disconnect your 8ga ground, and put in your 4ga. Connect the ground to your amp. Now connect the power to your amp. Once this is done, and all you have left is the power fuse, I think its obvious. Put the fuse in and you're all done. Not too hard.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."
Monday, March 21, 2005 11:34 AM
thanx alot for your help...

now just a minor question.. the AGU fuse holder has a small rectangular platform to it which you can screw 2 screws through it... now my question is... can this fuse holder stay in mid air or do i have to screw it against something???
also to crimp the wire to the ring, what tool is that and can i use something else instead.....???
Monday, March 21, 2005 12:56 PM
the fuse holder dosent have to be screwed to anything if you dont wanna...it just sorta looks a little more i dunno professional when its not hanging there...and another method then crimping is soldering
Monday, March 21, 2005 5:37 PM
Really... ok that's great!!!! 1 less thing to do...

I also have a soldering iron with metal... so that is good news too..... but that means I'll have to solder it quite a bit since there is a lot of thick wire.. ( 4 gauge) right???
Monday, March 21, 2005 7:14 PM
don't solder 4ga. Just use either a large crimp tool or some long handle lockjaws that you can bend the metal in tight with. Come to think of it, most AGU's have a little hex screw that holds the wire in.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search