Can you combine to amps for one sub? - Page 2 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Can you combine to amps for one sub?
Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:24 PM
wysiwyg wrote:ok..lemme break it down to ya on how it works...

High Power Amp at a high level-
Your Speaker's cone moves enough to cool the coil sufficiently..meaning no burnt coil.

Low power amp at High level
In the case of your friend...he was driving a severely clipped signal to his sub.(probably a full square wave) This means the cone does not move as far as it should to cool the coil properly in proportion to the amount of power it's given.

so i will tell you again...underpowering does NOT hurt speakers. dirty clipped signals and distortion do.

This is correct. In addition when the signal is clipping (like the above mentioned square wave) the signal is flat during this time, meaning the frequency is zero.

Zero frequency means inductive reactance is zero( XL=2 * pi * frequency * inductance).

Impedance of the speaker goes down (impedance = XL + resistance).

The only current limiting factor in the circuit is the resistance of the speakers. You've lowered the impedance of the speakers so the current through them will increase. Heat increases by the square of current. Heat = current squared * resistance (I^2*R).

If your current doubles your heat increases by a factor of 4.

Re: Can you combine to amps for one sub?
Saturday, April 09, 2005 11:40 AM
Some one was just saying that he used a positive off one amp and a neg off the other and it worked. 2 different amps

Saturday, April 09, 2005 12:16 PM
J K (84_Fiero) wrote:Some one was just saying that he used a positive off one amp and a neg off the other and it worked. 2 different amps

i highly doubt it lasted very long.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search