Cathode Install Help - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cathode Install Help
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:17 PM
I'm installing three sets of cathodes in my car. First is going under the dash, and then one in each door. I know how to wire them all to a switch, but how would I (or can I) wire them to the switch and the dome light? I would like them to turn on any time the dome light is on and by switch.

Also, I have a relay already just don't know how to hook it up.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Cathode Install Help
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:23 PM
Actually quite easy. But there is one problem that I ran into, and I do not know how to fix, so I scrapped the idea and changed it a little bit. The dome is a Negative trigger, but it's on a slow dim. When the light shuts off, the relay doesn't know what to do so it clicks repeatedly. It's annoying, but it works. I've since changed my setup from the dome light to my alarm's dome supervision wire. no more repeated clicking.

crude drawing, but it works.

Now, u can still wire in a rocker switch anywhere in that diagram, as long as it's also a negative trigger. And viola, it'll turn on 3 ways. When doors open, when the light switch is turned up, or when u flick ur rocker switch.

Use a multimeter to find the negative wire @ the domelight... that's where I tapped in.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:34 PM
you could use the wire that goes TO the dome light... that way, you roll your dimmer all the way up to turn on your dome light, cathodes come on.

car audio noob since 1984.
Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:07 PM
Same thing ya.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search