interest thread for soldering, component replacement - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
interest thread for soldering, component replacement
Wednesday, April 02, 2008 6:53 AM
hey guys. a friend of mine put an idea into my head for starting my own little soldering service, and I'm just looking for any interest.

for those of you that don't know, I work for an avionics manufacturer here in Arizona. the company pays for me to be certified in both IPC A-610 and J-Standard. this is recognized not only by civilian companies but military as well. I'm certified to Class 3, which means I can solder on anything that lives depend on (i.e. avionics when you're flying, medical equipment, etc.). FYI, Class 1 would be more like your alarm clock, CD player, etc.

I'm considering buying a nice soldering station from the same manufacturer that my company buys from. it's something that I enjoy doing and that I'm good at.

what I would do is replace components, LED's etc., in your electronics. it doesn't necessarily have to be only automotive stuff.

I, however, will not troubleshoot for you as I don't have schematics, proper test equipment, etc., to troubleshoot reliably.

this is simply an interest thread to see if anyone would use my soldering services. (yes, there will be payment involved, but I'm not sure on pricing yet. )

Mods, if this in the wrong spot, please move it. thank you.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Re: interest thread for soldering, component replacement
Wednesday, April 02, 2008 8:31 AM
Odds are, if a person needs the services of an soldering expert, they're in a situation where they need troubleshooting services first. I suspect you'll have trouble finding a lot of people who already know specifically what they need done.

Don't get me wrong -- I encourage you to pursue this by all means. You definitely have skill. I can't even hold a soldering iron steady enough to do decent work.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Re: interest thread for soldering, component replacement
Wednesday, April 02, 2008 8:51 AM
that's the difficult part with this. I can troubleshoot via sight and smell, but without proper schematics and test equipment, I cannot troubleshoot reliably.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search