Gauge Cluster Issue - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gauge Cluster Issue
Monday, February 15, 2010 7:25 AM
I am hoping someone has a solution for a cluster issue I am having.

The Car: 1999 Cavalier z24

The Issue: Digital Odometer is displaying strange characters, and sometime flickering. I believe it started after changing out my gauge cluster to one from another cavalier, but I am not sure this was when the issue started. I do not have the original gauge cluster to test though.

Solution?!? If I were to buy a new cluster is it likely that it would fix my problem? Are my issues within the cluster itself or is it an ECU issue? Also, if I were to replace the whole cluster, would the mileage correct itself to my original miles, or is the mileage stored in the cluster?

If you can answer these questions it would be a great help!!! Thank you!

Re: Gauge Cluster Issue
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:32 PM
Any help? There has to be near 100 people who have knowledge they can share about the gauge clusters and how they work. I am just hoping for some quick answers.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:42 PM
miles should be in the bcm under the dash. could be going bad. only gauge prob i had was my miles disappear when lights on since half the leds burned out lol i need to fix that.

Friday, February 19, 2010 4:51 AM
Mine said ERROR on my 02 last month for a sec. then went back to normal

Friday, February 19, 2010 7:47 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I going to look into the BCM module. Can anyone confirm this is where mileage is kept, so that I can limit my search down?

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:09 PM
not sure on the 99, if it is a digital display it should be.

Friday, February 26, 2010 10:44 AM
No, no no...

99 doesn't have a BCM. Only the 2000-05's do. 95-99 all store the mileage in the cluster. 00-05 all store mileage in the BCM.

So... the mileage on the cluster you install, will stay whatever it was.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:35 PM
Lenko - If that's the case what keeps people from just changing the cluster to show low miles on a high mileage car? I was told by GM that it could be stored on the ECU or the Cluster itself, but they were not sure. So I just wanted to confirm that it is absolutely the Cluster that the mileage is stored on...Thanks for you input!!

Sunday, February 28, 2010 12:19 AM
Nothing keeps people from changing the cluster to fake the miles. I know people who've bought cars that had that done to them. Unless there's some system in place in your jurisdiction to track mileage, like emissions testing or something like that... then there's a huge loophole.

I've changed clusters on several cars... on all the 99's (with digital clusters) it retains the mileage in the cluster. I've swapped BCM's on 00-05 cars, and it changes the mileage after you re-sync the BCM to the PCM (the R-code for the Passlock). The mileage on the cluster will change to the amount stored in the BCM after you first start it up.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:10 AM
I don't know about the third gen clusters, but when my digital cluster went out in my 86 Cav, I ordered a new one from the dealership and was told that the new one comes without the cluster chip where the mileage was stored. I had to put the old chip on the new cluster for the mileage to follow. If the chip was bad, the dealership would have to also order a new chip and program in the approximate mileage to stay within the law. Go Figure!!!

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Monday, March 01, 2010 6:49 PM
Lenko is right. The 99 digitals store the mileage in the odometer, just as if it were a mechanical one. I'm not 100% sure if there is a removable chip in the 99's or not, but I don't recall seeing anything removable on it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search