You can build a vented box to sound just as good as a sealed box. - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
You can build a vented box to sound just as good as a sealed box.
Saturday, August 07, 2010 8:12 PM
I'm a huge supporter of sealed boxes because I like getting low and I don't believe that such a thing as "infrasonic filters" should even exist.

BUT I do know that a handful of you guys who post on here (talkin to you JL, lanman) very often drop the quote I used to entitle this thread. "You can build a vented box to sound just as good as a sealed box."

So I ask, what is your method to go about achieving this?
What rules of thumb do you follow?
How do you relate Fs to your tuning frequency, if at all?
And do you actually believe that a ported box can sound as good as a sealed box, or are you really just suggesting that you can achieve good results?

This is open to anyone, I just dropped names for reference.

Re: You can build a vented box to sound just as good as a sealed box.
Saturday, August 07, 2010 8:44 PM
I have actually never said that, I believe Jason is who you are singling out here lol. HOWEVER. 90% of my customers are simple street drivers, and honestly, with what most of them want, ported is the way I always steer them. I had big plans for my next car and building a nice SQ setup btw, including a beautiful sealed box... and now my next car is looking to be 2 seats, mid engine, and no plans of a good stereo Figured you would be cool with that tiny thread jack since this thread sucks to begin with LOL

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Saturday, August 07, 2010 8:46 PM
Hahaha, dick.

Would you rather I start a thread asking how I can get away with using three different subwoofers in my car?

Saturday, August 07, 2010 8:47 PM
ALSO, how dare you let a car tell you what kind of stereo you can put in it.

Saturday, August 07, 2010 9:10 PM
I just don't feel like putting the effort into doing a good stereo in a t-top'ed 2 seater with no room behind the seats, and an engine behind that lol.

Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:43 PM
Well you can build a ported box that will sound the same as a ported one but you need to tune low. And at that point its a waste since all youre doing is eating up space.

All ported boxes have peaks its all just how low it is. At least thats how I see it. So if you want a flat response in the sub stage sealed is the way to go.

But in the end "good" is all up to the listener.

Monday, August 09, 2010 5:45 AM
Tunes around 30 hertz should give you a relatively flat response.

Monday, August 09, 2010 6:18 AM
I know ported can sound as good as sealed. ive heard plenty of top sq cars that have run ported enclosures and done quite well. my knowledge on the build is limited since i own small cars and don't like to sacrifice my entire trunck for my sub box. but with a low tuning point. with working with the cars natural abilility to boost certain frequencies and working with the right subs you can attain great results. your not wanting a flat responce. a flat responce sounds bland and lifeless. you want a smooth responce. if you want to go ported, my first suggestion would be to go to the manufacturer. i'll ususually call them up. tell them what kinkd of car ihave, what kind of sound i want and have them tell me the best specs for the sub.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:39 PM
bradsk88 wrote:ALSO, how dare you let a car tell you what kind of stereo you can put in it.

I have so many other plans for the car(that is confirmed now, I pick up Friday), but I was thinking... good 4 channel, pair of 8's(remember 2 seats, not much room behind them, the engine goes there haha), and some 5.25 comps... yeah
something simple, compact, and filling for a little car. @!#$ it. lol (btw will be going sealed )

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search