Instrument panel pops fuse. - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Instrument panel pops fuse.
Saturday, August 07, 2010 9:34 AM
I noticed one night that my gauge lights didn't work. After checking the fuses, the INST was blown. I replaced it with another 10 amp and it was good for awhile. I maybe used it once or twice. Then this morning, turned the lights on and it worked for awhile. Looked down about 5 miles into my drive to work and its blown again. Should I stick a 15 amp in it? What should I be looking for, I really don't want to tear the whole dash apart. But if I have to I guess I will.

1996 Sunfire, 2.2L, 18" Equus/General Exclaim UHP
Alpine CDE-9845

Re: Instrument panel pops fuse.
Saturday, August 07, 2010 4:05 PM
drunken monster wrote:I noticed one night that my gauge lights didn't work. After checking the fuses, the INST was blown. I replaced it with another 10 amp and it was good for awhile. I maybe used it once or twice. Then this morning, turned the lights on and it worked for awhile. Looked down about 5 miles into my drive to work and its blown again. Should I stick a 15 amp in it? What should I be looking for, I really don't want to tear the whole dash apart. But if I have to I guess I will.

there's a reason fuses pop. sounds like you have a short somewhere. chances are, if it pops a 10a fuse, it'll pop a 15 too. throwing a larger dues on a circuit doesn't solve anything (not to mention isn't really safe), you need to find out why the fuse is popping, and fix the issue.

car audio noob since 1984.
Sunday, August 08, 2010 1:56 PM
Better yet, if it pops that 15... put a 25 amp in it, and watch the wires melt and possibly catch fire and burn your car to the ground. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.. don't do this.)

As Rich said, you need to find out where the short is and fix that. Are you working on the car listed in your profile? (98 Sunfire) Find a proper GM schematic for it, and start tracing wires. Yes, you'll most likely have to take the dash apart.

Sunday, August 08, 2010 10:53 PM
96 Sunfire. They still have the wiring diagrams on Autozone still?

Alpine CDE-9845
Tuesday, October 05, 2010 1:20 PM
Anyone else experienced this same problem before I start digging into this?

Alpine CDE-9845
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search