Thatguy85's Ranger Audio build - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thatguy85's Ranger Audio build
Monday, October 04, 2010 9:56 AM
Yes I realize this is a jbody website, but the ranger forums I've seen are all about lifting the trucks 5 feet into the air, putting swamp tires on them, and getting muddy.

I have different tastes...

Thus far my only challenge is figuring out what subs I want to run. I still have my old 12" American Bass XD's, of course the box they're in just won't do for a truck. I really do want to get a whole new setup and ditch the XD's for maybe some Alpine type R's, or a JL audio setup.

First thing is first.... The sub box. I don't have the tools or the experience to make one, so I guess that limits me to buying a box. So, what are the opinions on this one: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236RANG20U/MTX-ThunderForm-Unloaded-Enclosure-Gray.html?tp=129

Obviously the picture shown is of the box turned upside down. The subs would be firing down, which I believe is the best for SQ in a truck.

However, I am extremely open to opinions. Budget is... Flexible. I want to stay under 1500 when everything is said and done though, including head unit. I listen to a lot of metal, and rap, so would like a well-rounded setup. My previous setup (look at profile for my 2000 cavi to see details) was ran at 1ohm and although it was decently loud, lacked the responsiveness to sound good for metal. I'd like to find a happy medium

Re: Thatguy85's Ranger Audio build
Monday, October 04, 2010 11:03 AM
Alpine has some nice slim mount Type Rs now I believe.

Monday, October 04, 2010 11:27 AM
I'm only replying to ur box cvomment while on lunch real quick: its verrryyyy important for it to be built right, hig quality, and specific to ur subs. Do not buy prefabbed. When I get home tonight, ill get u in touch with the guy I use for all wood work. He's the best,period. And priced right.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Monday, October 04, 2010 12:01 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Alpine has some nice slim mount Type Rs now I believe.

It's an extended cab, so slim mounts probably won't be needed.

I guess I could just do this to it... http://www.ranger-forums.com/f41/rinconmanof90s-2010-build-99970/index8.html

Brian, that should make you cream your panties.

Monday, October 04, 2010 2:01 PM
Excellent stuff.

Team Nemesis does some awesome builds.

Monday, October 04, 2010 6:35 PM
As well as what I mentioned about having a good custom enclosure built, keep in mind you are looking at .46cu. ft. per sub in that Thunderform box... not much room for most subs. You are limiting your selection big time there. is there any way to get more space? I'm not familiar with extra cab Rangers.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:41 AM
Yeah, I saw that and figured I would have to get slim enclosure subs which I'm not really wanting to do.

If you custom make your own box, you can make enough room. Here are several different ideas for enclosures in an extended cab ranger. I can't decide which would sound best.

Dual amp...

Very similar to the setup I have on hand. I guess these guys just take two pieces of 2x4, and screw one plank on each end on the bottom of the box so that it clears the hump in the middle.

Pretty neat. Hides the horrid wiring job, that's for sure.

I'm currently looking at these bad boys:

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=92151/1451.0

Currently on sale, too! The price is right for the amount of performance i want. However, would you rather have the 2, 4, or 8ohm version? I know an amp could push more power to the 2 ohm sub, but wouldn't it just be louder and less "clean"?

Edit: I can buy that goddamn sub on ebay, bran new, for like 150. Ebay is now my best friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:44 AM

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 8:09 AM
See here I thought you wanted to keep the rear seats. You have plenty of room if you dont.

As far as ohms go you shouldnt hear a difference between 1 ohm and 4 ohm.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 8:34 AM
Nah, they're all coming out.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 4:17 PM
If you are giving up that much space in favor of audio,. you could have a lot of fun and do a killer and clean install man.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:59 AM
It's really not all THAT much space. They're just the fold-down jump seats. Here's a pic for reference:

I started drawing up my idea for a box in paint. Until I realized it looked like a giant vagina on my screen (Mind you I'm at work).

Perhaps I'll just steal someone else's design... lol

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 11:12 AM
I could have A LOT of fun with that space. Hell I made a full 1000 watt system fit behind the seat in a single cab S10.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 1:13 PM
I'll shoot a message to my box guy if I remember, he'll draw something nice up for ya, I'm sure.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 4:21 PM
Email sent. He likes a challenge, and without knowing exact dimensions of the space available, that's what this is lol. But he will be in touch as soon as he sketches some things up. I threw him the idea of about .8-1.0cu. ft. per sealed chamber, down firing 10's with an amp cabinet stealthily built into the center of the box. Everything will look sleek, factory, clean, and be completely hidden from prying eyes. Let's see what he can draw up

Thursday, October 07, 2010 7:47 AM
That sounds @!#$ fantastic!

So that setup is the one I'm leaning most towards. 2x 10W3v3-2 subs, J2 1000.1 mono amp. However, I'm wondering if 700W @ 2ohms would be enough for my greedy ears... Better amp suggestions would be welcomed if there are any I should also be considering for this setup.

The other setup I've been pondering:

4x Sundown SA-8" subs, firing upwards, powered by SAZ-1500D mono amp.

Now, my question about this amp, is that it says it outputs 3000 watts linkable/dual mono. WTF does that mean? Considering all 4 of those 8" are 800W max, I think this would be plenty of power to drive them.

Let your guy know I'll attempt to get some measurements of the room in the cab and post them tonight.

Thursday, October 07, 2010 8:07 AM
A 1500D is waaaay too much for SA-8s IMO. They dont like being played low if youre going to over drive them and they will go pop and Jacob will not warranty them then. SA-12s or SA-10s if theyre out yet I havent checked in awhile would be much better.

Youre asking questions about my specialty. It means if you buy two 1500s and hook them together using one amp as the master and the other as the slave you can have 3000 watts.

I think the JL Audio amps are overpriced. I believe SAZ-1000Ds are going for like $275 or $290 now. I got mine for $350 in Feb of 2009 through dB-r. My advice is to go check out the SA section on SMD or SSA or CACO and see what Jacob at Sundown has on clearance. I got my 15 and my speaker amp for a hefty discount.

Edit: Just checked. Nothing is on sale right now. If I had a replacement Id offer you my 1000D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 07, 2010 8:11 AM

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:27 AM
Hey JL, did your box guy ever get back to you?

If not, I'm thinking about just going with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-RANGER-12-EXTCAB-SUBWOOFER-SPEAKER-ENCLOSURE-BOX-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f04dc2c73QQitemZ270664477811QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Opinions? 1.26 CU.FT per chamber, downfiring 12's. Lets say I went with the SA-12's (we'll worry about the amp later) would that be enough/too much space for them?

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:00 PM
that things cheap for a reason. thinner material, probably low quality material, and who knows how @!#$ty the construction is... I will re-email him, I don't remember getting a reply about the Ranger box.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:25 AM
Yeah I thought the 5/8" thickness was a little on the thin side so I figured I'd get you guys' opinion on them. I found another box that appears to be more sturdy:

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2395165/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

If your box guy replies, I suppose he can use that basic design/measurements, and then build the amp cabinet on top of it.

I've changed my mind, and I believe I'll be going with the SA-12's instead of the 10's.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:32 PM
funny thing is I said exactly that last night in the email "was thinking downfiring box with an amp rack inlayed, or cabinet on top" lol

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:35 PM
btw, you got a PM that you might like

Friday, December 17, 2010 6:38 AM
Replied

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search