intercooling m45 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
intercooling m45
Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:13 PM
Is it at all possible?

.. well, i know it would be 'possible,' but is it practical?

I'm back from the dead.
Currently Driving: RSX Type-S.
My Cavalier Burnt up :-(

Re: intercooling m45
Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:20 PM
First, you should search. There are a TON of posts that answer this same question., But the answer is no, you cannot intercool a m45 supercharger. The S/C and the manifold are one piece. It's impossible unless you take a saw to it, and completely redesign the whole thing which would be expensive, extremely difficult, and impractical.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Sunday, July 29, 2007 3:07 PM
A good alky is the only one that one can make.
Wednesday, August 01, 2007 12:35 PM
Luke Heier wrote:First, you should search. There are a TON of posts that answer this same question., But the answer is no, you cannot intercool a m45 supercharger. The S/C and the manifold are one piece. It's impossible unless you take a saw to it, and completely redesign the whole thing which would be expensive, extremely difficult, and impractical.

I did search, but thanks for the advice

I'm back from the dead.
Currently Driving: RSX Type-S.
My Cavalier Burnt up :-(
Wednesday, August 01, 2007 5:58 PM
Did someone say water injection....................

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:46 PM
..LOL i tryed telling people about that at the bash.... fell on deff ears i think......

i meen, LSJ's went down to the M45! (with our little ol crank puley.) No, the N2o wasent on all the time. just when i ran brian.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, August 02, 2007 2:19 PM
My cooling mist kit is getting closer to being ready. I fabbed up some brackets to mount it under the hood (and it don't look pretty lemme tell ya, but function over form baby!), just have to actually mount it to the frame, plumb the hoses, wire it up, make sure the boost switch is adjusted properly (some pointers here would be good) and I'm good to go!

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Thursday, August 02, 2007 3:19 PM
put the nozzle on the wind sheld, so you know when it turns on. i set mine at 3 PSI, that way its flowing when its needed.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:11 PM
The nozzle is already in the intake, not exactly easy to get out either lol. I'll just leave the hose unhooked and try your suggestion, and when I get it dialed in properly I'll hook it up. I bought the kit used, so I don't imagine the adjustment screw has changed any from the previous owner...perhaps I should send him an email!

I'm comin' for you, Chris, coming to beat your time!!! Yours has to be one of the lowest ETs for an M45 car.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:21 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:..LOL i tryed telling people about that at the bash.... fell on deff ears i think......

i meen, LSJ's went down to the M45! (with our little ol crank puley.) No, the N2o wasent on all the time. just when i ran brian.

Chris

liar!!! you turned it on when you raced me just as i missed 3rd... haha

and i agree the meth/water injection made liz's car pull way better.

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:52 PM
i fliped my switch, it wasent till i lost VS that M90 L67 car that i found the throttle switch wasent hiting the throttle arm\cam. pissed me off too!

oh well.

just rember blown... STOCK motor... i meen stock! no cams... nothing.

im building a motor. and saving up for the M62. still the GEN V M45 flows enuf CFM to make 260 HP.... but now that brian is boosted......

i feel realllly slow.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:46 PM
the m45 flows enough CFM for 260hp? huh? wow thats a stretch i think lol

now realize im no intercooler expert and ive been s/c for about 2 weeks now so bare with me but what about some kind of external cooler that mounts to the outside of the m45? would that work or is meth all im ever gonna need...

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:56 PM
Water/meth......end of story
Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:01 PM
i know, its on the way. it'd still like to cool it off more if possible. i guess a bag of ice on top before runs would help but thats kind of ghetto... then i guess there is always the spraying it down with air duster cans turned upside down before each run, but again thats kind of ghetto.

thought about wrapping it with those cloth things that you wrap around your neck when it hot. they have some kind of flexible beeds in them that stay put when you wrap it around something and you throw them in the freezer. surely a few of those bad boys wrapped around it would help LOL

also, i have a coated dc sports header but would wrapping it in header tape help out the underhood temps even more? (no i dont care if its not gonna last 20 years because of the wrap)

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:21 PM
Brad, the bag of ice trick isnt really ghetto. I know 600 HP ls guys that still do that. lol. when i get racing again you better believe that there will be a cooler and 2 or 3 bags of ice with me when i track it. 1 bag for the blower, and some to put in the water tank. theres not much you can do to cool the m45 besides the meth/water injection. you could get a phenolic spacer maybe?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:43 PM
meth purge button and you can cool it down as much as you want before a run.

FU Tuning

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:44 PM
Nothing wrong with some high quality frozen h2o. LOL

Get that intake into the fender and wrap it. That should help temps a lil. I also agree with Chris on th phenolic spacer too, they help.

Jason

USACi =>146.9db
14.88 @ 90.73MPH =>GM Charger, Motor Mounts, Catback exhaust
Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:30 PM
i honestly dont see how the spacer would help a blower. the s/c is hotter than the damn engine LOL if anything the blower is heating up the head not vice versa!

and ive thought about putting my fuel in the freezer/cooler of ice before runs. 10 degree gas would certainly cool ish down.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:03 PM
The way I see it, with them seperated it should help with heat soak, in return keeping both from getting as hot, and should keep the bay a lil cooler.

USACi =>146.9db
Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:07 PM
Another option, move further north, I hear it gets cold in Canada. J/k lol

Jason

USACi =>146.9db
Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:34 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:i honestly dont see how the spacer would help a blower. the s/c is hotter than the damn engine LOL if anything the blower is heating up the head not vice versa!

and ive thought about putting my fuel in the freezer/cooler of ice before runs. 10 degree gas would certainly cool ish down.

seeing as the gas is injected after the charger cooling the gas is not going to make a difference, not in regards to cooling the charger or iats.

FU Tuning

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:15 PM
it wont make a difference in cooling the blower, no. but it will, however make a difference in cooling the charge going into the combustion chambers. and ultimately that is the goal anyway, so...

its an old n/a trick. it does work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:15 PM

Friday, September 28, 2012 7:19 AM
i had bags of dry ice fit inbetween the blower and the head, worked great

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:07 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:it wont make a difference in cooling the blower, no. but it will, however make a difference in cooling the charge going into the combustion chambers. and ultimately that is the goal anyway, so...

its an old n/a trick. it does work.

Well since it is after the IAT it is not too useful.

FU Tuning

Friday, September 28, 2012 2:53 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:i know, its on the way. it'd still like to cool it off more if possible. i guess a bag of ice on top before runs would help but thats kind of ghetto... then i guess there is always the spraying it down with air duster cans turned upside down before each run, but again thats kind of ghetto.

Its also how a car went 13.9 waaaayyyyyy back when...

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search