intercooling m45 - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: intercooling m45
Friday, September 28, 2012 3:28 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:it wont make a difference in cooling the blower, no. but it will, however make a difference in cooling the charge going into the combustion chambers. and ultimately that is the goal anyway, so...

its an old n/a trick. it does work.

Well since it is after the IAT it is not too useful.

again you are not understanding. why do we cool the blower john? because we want a cooler, denser charger going into the combustion chamber. we dont want to cool the blower just because.

colder fuel does the exact same thing as cooling the blower. probably no where near the amount of performance difference but it does help.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:45 PM
Wouldn't the return line heat it right back up?

They used to make a thing kinda like nitrous(different gas though) that went on your fuel sending line to cool it. I think it was cryo2 or something like that. Don't know if they still make it.

Jason

USACi =>146.9db
14.88 @ 90.73MPH =>GM Charger, Motor Mounts, Catback exhaust
Friday, September 28, 2012 3:58 PM
i could be wrong but i doesn't the ecu adjust timing based on IAT's?

Friday, September 28, 2012 4:26 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:it wont make a difference in cooling the blower, no. but it will, however make a difference in cooling the charge going into the combustion chambers. and ultimately that is the goal anyway, so...

again you are not understanding. why do we cool the blower john? because we want a cooler, denser charger going into the combustion chamber. we dont want to cool the blower just because.

colder fuel does the exact same thing as cooling the blower. probably no where near the amount of performance difference but it does help.

He's saying that since the cooler charge is after the IAT the PCM can't see it make the correct adjustments, essentially wasting the cooler air/fuel. It'll still help but not nearly as much as it would if the PCM knew what was going on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, September 28, 2012 4:27 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, September 28, 2012 5:18 PM
Y3llowCav (aka Ryan Pitt) wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

He's saying that since the cooler charge is after the IAT the PCM can't see it make the correct adjustments, essentially wasting the cooler air/fuel. It'll still help but not nearly as much as it would if the PCM knew what was going on.

Exactly!!!

For a track only car would not be a big problem, but since you do not really know what the "charge temp" is after it passes the IAT you do not know how to really adjust.

Yes Brad we are trying to cool the IAT's, but cooling the charger in turns does the same thing. The cooler the charger is before a pass, the cooler the IAT's will be during the pass.

Quote:

i could be wrong but i doesn't the ecu adjust timing based on IAT's?

exactly why I said what I did earlier.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 30, 2012 12:40 PM
ok i see where getting to the same page but... um... the engine doesnt need the iat to tell it that its seeing a colder, more dense charge in order for it to yield more horsepower. the engine doesnt need to get permission from the iat to create more power lol

would it be best if the iat said ok sure, lets give you the maximum comanded timing because the air is cool but that only goes so far. think about it.... if the timing were at max comanded because the iat saw xxx temperature... the colder charge is going to go one further on that and keep yielding more results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, September 30, 2012 12:41 PM

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Sunday, September 30, 2012 12:43 PM
and while on the subject of the m45 iat.. why not ditch that thing from being stuck in the hot blower and mount it somewhere down in the cooler air areas like under the car or something? yes i realize this means the pcm wont be pulling timing because the blower is hot but who cares if youve got meth?

Sunday, September 30, 2012 3:25 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:and while on the subject of the m45 iat.. why not ditch that thing from being stuck in the hot blower and mount it somewhere down in the cooler air areas like under the car or something? yes i realize this means the pcm wont be pulling timing because the blower is hot but who cares if youve got meth?

having it do the timing in relation to iat's is how to avoid detonation/knock and such. meth injection will help but even then why not just do it properly or what happens if your meth runs out...................

Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:42 PM
if your meth runs out you are an idiot plain and simple.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:28 PM
LAFNGAS wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:and while on the subject of the m45 iat.. why not ditch that thing from being stuck in the hot blower and mount it somewhere down in the cooler air areas like under the car or something? yes i realize this means the pcm wont be pulling timing because the blower is hot but who cares if youve got meth?

having it do the timing in relation to iat's is how to avoid detonation/knock and such. meth injection will help but even then why not just do it properly or what happens if your meth runs out...................

I agree. Brad if your going to do it, then do it right.

I think I have heard that somewhere before. lol

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:20 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:if your meth runs out you are an idiot plain and simple.

runs out/pressure relay fails/nozzle gets clogged...................

all sorts of @!#$ can and has happened before

Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:13 PM
how bad could it really be honestly? the iat would see ambiant. its not like ur turning it off. with meth the blower should see 120 degree iat's even on the hottest summer day. without, well then itd be like 80 degrees off. that enough to melt it down yo? lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search