Blown Ecotec with comp cams dyno? - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Blown Ecotec with comp cams dyno?
Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:23 AM
QBE (Aka Phil No More Boost) wrote:Regardless of how wrong you think I am or how incorrect I am for saying they do what they are advertised to do, I am still going to recommend them all day, all night. because I am sorry to say, they helped....

I dont need to go spend 80 bucks to see they added power and decreased spool time. I didn't state exact number's. Oh yeah they gave me an extra 22 whp from 2000-7000 rpms.

I stated what I stated for a reason, because I knew what I was saying was correct

I personally didn't think much of them, until I had a conversation w/ QBE about the cams, after I heard what he had to say and it pretty much matched exactly what comp had said, talked to their tech line, I was sold, just waiting on them to arrive.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:42 AM
i know ill be getting some as well..
Monday, February 18, 2008 1:55 PM
All the comp cams will be listed on the allecotec.com website with low pricing and FREE S&H within the next 1-2 days!

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:26 PM
I'm also waiting to see these cams in action. I have heard the testimonials, and they sound good.

The only accurate way to test a part for performance is to only change a single factor and accurately dyno guage results (i.e. not butt dyno or track times) Then you have to list every other factor on the test bed which could possibly contribute to those results in the application. There is too much "i def. felt the gains" going around on this site, and not enough actual insite into the science of whats going on. The butt dyno analysis doesn't do any good for those on the site trying to figure out where there money is best spent. Not everyone intends on just dumping a assload of money into parts that may or may/not work well together and hope to end up with good results.

Just want to say thanks to Scarab for helping keep the discussion of results logical, in not just this thread but on the site overall. We could better benefit as a community from taking a more critical analysis when it comes to analyzing new products for our cars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 18, 2008 6:27 PM

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Downpipe w/ Cutout | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Monday, February 18, 2008 7:26 PM
Listed all 5 cams on the site....

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:44 PM
Am I missing something I swear I do not see any cams for the 2.4 or ecotec listed on the comp cams website!?!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 18, 2008 7:45 PM

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:38 PM
your not missing anything, I dont know why but they are not listed on there

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:05 AM
Comp cams only make them (on the shelf) for the 2.2L ecotec.

We carry the following stages

Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Turbo Grind
Charger Grind

Check them out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:06 AM

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:19 AM
So there isn't a 2.4 turbo set? Or there is but they are made to order??

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Downpipe w/ Cutout | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:20 AM
Not at the current time, as the 2.4L is VVT...

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:08 AM
Karo (Car Customs) wrote:Listed all 5 cams on the site....

YOU TEASE!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:11 AM
BlackEco wrote:So there isn't a 2.4 turbo set? Or there is but they are made to order??

I think he meant the ld9 2.4. I would like to know this as well.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:15 AM
Comp Cams only makes cams for the 2.2L L61 engine right now unless you send them blanks and they will grind you anything you want.

As for the 2.4 vvt ecotec and the 2.0 lsj ecotec engine, I will add some new cams on the allecotec.com website soon.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:12 AM
Karo - The 2.0L SS/SC engine will use the 2.2L ecotec cams. Just remember the 2007 and later 2.2L ecotec has a extra sensor so the current comp cams will not work on the 2007 and later 2.2L ecotec.... The cams will work on the 2002-2006 ecotec...

They also offer a standard cast blank, and a billet blaknk, for the stage 3 for high RPM/turning apps.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:38 PM
2.2 L61 cams cannot be directly used without alot of modification with an LSJ

As stated in the below document The L61 intake and exhaust cams are the same casting however the LSJ cam sensor (which L61 does not have at all) is driven with a hex bushing pressed into the rear of the exhaust cam. In order to operate properly the production LSJ cam sensor requires a cam which has a hex bushing pressed into the exhaust camshaft with the exact orientation in angularity to the cam.

http://tunersource.gmblogs.com/Racer-Tech/ECOtec-Tech-Topics/ECOtec-CAMSHAFT-INFO-SHEET-2.pdf

In other news the only attempts at making an aftermarket LSJ cam have failed miserably the JBP cams dont work and the few that have tried the EVO 272 spec havent really been successful either.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:37 AM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:

Track times aren't as good as a dyno, but so long as you look at the whole picture and pay attention to variables, they can still be a good indicator. If a car weighs 2800 lbs on one track visit, and runs a 14.5 at 95 mph, then its pretty safe to say that if no weight is added or removed and it runs a 13.6 at 102mph the next time, that whatever mods you've done in between have been effective and increased power. If someone were to say, I ran XX time at YY mph with this setup, and then ran AA time and BB mph with this setup at the same vehicle weight, than it can contribute to the body of evidence that points to one setup being faster or not. While track times may not be a perfect indicator, I'd trust a comparison of track times over someone's personal impression any day.

Sorry to bring up an old thread and I never post on here anymore, but I was looking up info on the Comp Cams turbo cams for an Ecotec swap I'm doing in a Firebird. I HAD to respond to this (sorry scarab). Dyno times are NOT better than track times. Dyno times can be skewed and manipulated easily, as well as being different from dyno to dyno. Take a Mustang Dyno and Dynojet dyno, very rare the same car will post up the same number on both machines. Also someone can make the same PEAK HP with a mod but if area under the curve increase substantially so will your 1/4 miles times. It's not rare to see someone in an equal car with "less" power outrun the car that laid down the best numbers. Alot of people that build engines worry about dyno numbers when they shouldn't. If you put together a package that works well together, makes power where you NEED it, you'll be happy and the only way to test that is the track. Say you build a motor that makes 500hp @ 7000rpm but it takes awhile to reach that power due to cam/head choice, compression ratio etc and then drops off fast, where say you have a car that makes say 450hp @6250 rpm but builds power early, holds power (fairly flat curves) and gradually decreases, that engine will ALWAYS be faster, in identical cars. I'm the type of person that wants a time slip, not a dyno sheet. Back when I had my Iroc, it dynoed at around 297hp@6500rpm(was running a solid roller cam and single plane manifold, shifting at 7500rpm but the dnyo guy kept shutting it down at 6500) but was running 11.72@119mph N/A all day long in a 3200lb vehicle with me in it. I only dynoed it once and a buddy of mine with a 70' Mach 1 with a 347 stroker was laying down about 387rwhp and I would beat him every time. It's like some of these Supra's making close to 1000hp but get there butt's handed to them by cars with half the power at the track. I'd rather win a race than have a piece of paper with higher numbers on it.
Monday, November 30, 2015 5:05 AM
Need to bring back this thread as I am doing a motor build.

Blower cams seem to work as well as the Stage 2 NA cams (I am sure with adj. cam gears, retarding some timing may also help the blower cams work well on a NA motor).

My problem is that I want to buy a built block with low compression (built for turbo) and I want to use the blower cams as I can find them very cheap.

If I use a built block with low compression (8:9:1) with P&P head (fully built head), throw on some blower cams, tune for NA (don't have the time to spend more money on a turbo specially after buying a built head and block), can I tune the car to run with the blower cams NA? I hear that low compression on NA car without the turbo sucks as it will make less HP than stock without a turbo (Tinkles thanks). So my option is to wait until I slap on a turbo or bolt on the low compression built motor to the built head use the blower cams, tune and call it day. If I don't make as much power as I could with different cams, fine. But If I can adjust the blower cams to be used with a turbo on the fully built motor, that would be great. Looks like I better by a turbo grind and tune it that way until I slap on a turbo?

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search