Boosted Cavy Update - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boosted Cavy Update
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:32 AM
Well it's been awhile since i've given anyone any updates or information about the current build but i've felt since startup is likely only a couple weeks away now is the time

Here is the list of the buildup this past winter and a couple teaser shots I took last night. The engine should be dropped into the car this weekend and startup is likely a couple weeks away Anyways here is the list:

Fully built 2.4LD9 engine

-Custom Grind Camshafts
-Fully built race head (1mm oversized Stainless valves, high rpm valve springs, titanium retainers, internally ported and exhaust polished)
-Custom 65mm TB
-9.0.1 Compression Wiseco Pistons (.020) overbore
-Eagle H Beam Connecting Rods
-Knife edged and cryotreated crankshaft
-Melling 2.3 HO Oil Pump Conversion
-Extensive oil galley porting
-ARP Head and Main Studs
-Cometic .074 Head Gasket
-Clevite 77 rod and main bearings
-Balance shaft removal
-Custom windage tray
-HO Intake Manifold (Internally ported)
-Garrett T3/T04E exact specs are a secret
-Custom Turbo manifold with ext. wastegate
-Tial 38mm wastegate
-Greddy RS BOV
-FMIC 28" x 7.5" x 3.5"
-2.5" Custom Charge piping
-3" Custom downpipe
-Greddy 720cc Injectors
-Casper Billet AFPR
-GM 2 Bar Map Sensor
-Hallman manual Boost controller
-DevilsOwn Methanol Injection
-Cry02 Intercooler Sprayer
-HPTuners
-Vortech FMU 1:1
-Innovate LM-1 Wideband
-Oil filter relocation kit
-Oil cooler
-I'm sure there's stuff i'm forgetting and other stuff i'm purposely leaving out .....

Click the pics for larger versions:

400+whp or bust

President/Founder - 607 Motorsports

Re: Boosted Cavy Update
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:20 AM
Is that paint or one hell of a polish job.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:39 AM
The intake, turbo compressor, top of the timing chain housing, and alternator are all polished. The cam towers and covers as well as all other bolt on accessories are powdercoated. The intake isn't really polished up to par in these pics, i've been handling it alot so theres some oily residue on it but you get the point

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:50 AM
looks good jim!

Blew it up, build numbers coming soon
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:48 AM
So you polished the top of the timing chain cover and powder coated the side of it? Am I right? That is kind of what it looks like in the pics.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:59 AM
Yup that is correct. The entire cover it powdercoated excpet for the top ridge which is seen the most. The IDI cover is also polished and painted flat black.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 3:59 PM
God damn that's shiny

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:40 PM
I've wondered where you went, the amount of posts I used to see from you went down alot. Can't wait for numbers..

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:59 AM
I like what you have done so far. Can't wait to see it in the ride

Jason
99 Z24
157hp/171tq
wheres my boost??
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 10:48 AM
Thanks guys, yeah... I haven't been on here a whole lot this past 6 months or so. I've really been busting my ass working on this project and my new project - The Stage 5 Cobalt I'm hoping to have my Cavy running in the next couple of weeks, then the tuning will commence

Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:25 PM
yo you have way more then 400 in you. the weekest part on that list is the rods and pistons, and thats up wards of like 5 to 600. there is one other thing. dont think for a minute your getting any where with the stock coils those things wont get you any where near 400.

the only other thing I can see that is a little odd. is the cooling setup I mean dam c02 meth and an intercooler? that @!#$ is gonna be frezzing cold

400 pshhh shoot for 5 ya big sissy

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "

Friday, June 29, 2007 7:48 AM
Thanks Jcavi 400 has been the goal from the beginning but not the end goal As long as I can get the car tuned in well i'm going to go for as much boost and timing that my injectors and tuning will support. I'm also likely going to be running 110 race gas in this car most of the time. The coils are weak and I know that, i'm either going to grab the Team Green coil conversion or make my own with the MSD's... although I despise wiring so I might just buy them

As far as the cooling goes yeah it's definately a bit overkill... but let me explain... the car was previously running the GMSC with nitrous which is where my meth injection came into play so I already had that. The cry02 sprayer I simply converted over my nitrous system that was already in the car to the co2 sprayer. I don't ever plan to run nitrous on this car and the bottle is painted to match my car so I figured what the hell, why not?

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress... i'm going to be taking it very easy on the car during break in and initial tuning but once thats done the sky is the limit

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:54 AM
ASSEMBLY COMPLETED!!!!!

No more explanations... just some pics Its been a looooong road, the engine is planned for install this Saturday. Please disregard the extremely messy shop at the moment. I gotta clean it up badddd after I drop the engine in lol.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:00 AM
that's just sexy.

awesome job.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:24 AM
how come no aluminum crank pulley?

can we please see pics of the exhaust mani and 65mm tb? please.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 10:33 AM
The engine looks really good. I can't wait to see what kind of numbers you put down on the dyno.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:01 AM
Quote:

how come no aluminum crank pulley?

can we please see pics of the exhaust mani and 65mm tb? please.

No aluminum crank pulley right yet... but it will very likely have one soon As far as pics of the exhaust mani its nothing special excpet that its a custom log manifold with an external wastegate. The TB is also nothing crazy special... it looks no different than a 62mm TB except its been ported out another 3mm. I'll see if I can get some pics for ya.

Thanks for the compliments thus far guys. The sky is the limit with this engine, I went all out on the build including the machining so I plan to push the engine hard once broken in. The injectors are 750's and I plan to have that be my only hold back for this fall

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:24 PM
yes man, id love to see that TB, when smg bored my stock 2.4 out they said you physically cound not bore it any larger than 58mm at the butterfly without having issues with sensors.

but your probly running a 2.3 anyways right? idk how different they are so...

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:35 PM
Holy shiney cam covers batman!!

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:33 AM
Quote:

i'm actually running the rsm 62mm tb. I had a local machine shop bore it out to its max and 65 was all we could get. I've been running this TB for years now and never had any sensor issues.

Friday, July 27, 2007 7:29 AM
jimmyc99z24 wrote:
Quote:

i'm actually running the rsm 62mm tb. I had a local machine shop bore it out to its max and 65 was all we could get. I've been running this TB for years now and never had any sensor issues.

Which begs the question. Where did RSM get that tb from? Is it stock on some other GM car. I seriously doubt they just started making TB one day.

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:14 AM
Most bad arse LD9!
Some good moves here: Knife edge, cryo the block, oil pump upgrade, and porting oil gallies, very nice move.

Bad moves:
Tiny turbo, your setup is good for 550 + with race gas.

AND... ABSOLUTLEY DO NOT GET A ALUMINUM CRANK PULLEY. You MUST have a balanced and heavy damper to better absorb vibrations, that alone could kill your motor. At those power levels, Im SURE you balanced the crank, rods, pistons and pulley ALL need to be balanced.
Friday, July 27, 2007 11:46 AM
Quote:

Most bad arse LD9!
Some good moves here: Knife edge, cryo the block, oil pump upgrade, and porting oil gallies, very nice move.

Bad moves:
Tiny turbo, your setup is good for 550 + with race gas.

AND... ABSOLUTLEY DO NOT GET A ALUMINUM CRANK PULLEY. You MUST have a balanced and heavy damper to better absorb vibrations, that alone could kill your motor. At those power levels, Im SURE you balanced the crank, rods, pistons and pulley ALL need to be balanced.

Thanks man! Good points on the aluminum crank pulley as well... The entire bottom end is fully balanced so I think I will definately leave it as is with the stock harmonic balancer. As far as the turbo goes it's not that small at all, the specs definately put me in the range of hp you speak about and I figure that to be just about all the car will ever be able to handle. This winter I do plan to upgrade to a gt35r however so i'm not constantly maxing the turbo out

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:15 PM
Beau wrote:AND... ABSOLUTLEY DO NOT GET A ALUMINUM CRANK PULLEY. You MUST have a balanced and heavy damper to better absorb vibrations, that alone could kill your motor. At those power levels, Im SURE you balanced the crank, rods, pistons and pulley ALL need to be balanced.

its not a v8 bud. all he needs is a well balanced bottom end.

and why cant you balance an aluminum pulley to the rest of the bottom end??? care to elaborate?

its not a "harmonic balancer" its just a pulley on the end of the crank to drive the accessories.

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:16 PM
hurry up and get some numbers!! i want to see what this thing is putting out

thats bad ass, good job!

--------------------------------------------------------------
2000 Cavalier z24-5 spd, 2.4L
stock....for now, no big things in mind just intake....muffler....short throw shifter...clear climates........supercharger!!!(if i ever get the money lol)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search