Cooling mist stage 1 kit for m45 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cooling mist stage 1 kit for m45
Friday, May 30, 2008 1:27 PM
I am thinking about getting alky injection and the cooling mist stage 1 setup seems to be pretty decent...as this kit just has an adjustable boost switch from 1-25psi and not a "vari-cool controller" it is either open or closed and delivers the same amount of mixture regardless the boost level...I am wondering 2 things with this kit...first, how accurate is the adjustable boost controller and is hard to get it set for the exact psi you want it to come on at...and the 2nd, is the kit able to be upgraded to their vari-cool controller later? For now I think I am going to get the stage one kit as I am only going to be running the 2.7" pulley which is about 6-7 psi from what I hear...if people are having good luck with just the adjustable boost switch I will probably just go with that and not worry about the progressive controller for now...if anyone can help me out that would be great

Re: Cooling mist stage 1 kit for m45
Monday, June 02, 2008 7:31 AM
I was looking a this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120133857525

It is a little cheaper to get it off ebay right now because they have a special on it...it comes with the clog/flow indicatior which they charge $50 on the cooling mist site but this kit comes with it for only an extra $20...what do people think about the deluxe kit...any help would be great.

Monday, June 02, 2008 7:32 AM
not sure what happened at the bottom of the last post...sorry

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 6:20 PM
I had a Cooling Mist water injection setup on my SRT-4. It was a dual stage setup, but it did not have the varicool thing with it. My SRT-4 gained 15 whp with no setting changes at all!! If you're car is already running pretty rich, running alcohol won't help you at all. Running straight distilled water or a water/alcohol mix would help though. Water is more effective at cooling the intake air and slowing the combustion process than alcohol is.

91 Cav "GT"<-- R.I.P.
91 Cavalier Wagonstein - Turbocharged wagon goodness
You can take my rifle when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 3:49 PM
My car is getting pretty handy to maxing out my injectors...I have the 310cc injectors that come with the kit...just got all my pulley's on today and it by my seat of pants dyno it made quite a difference...right around 6.5psi..I'm now a little more worried about my A/F...wondering if running cooler temps with give me better A/F? (not causing me to lean out as bad)...I think I may look into this kit..just need to figure out my fuel situation.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 8:06 PM
The only thing that running cooler temps will do is possibly require more fuel. Running cooler intake temps will NOT give you more fuel magically. If you ran straight alcohol, then yes it would give you more fuel and it would help. However, if you rely on that extra fuel then your motor can let go when (not if) the alcohol injection stops working for one reason or another. That's why I like running water with just a bit of alcohol instead of straight alcohol.

91 Cav "GT"<-- R.I.P.
91 Cavalier Wagonstein - Turbocharged wagon goodness
You can take my rifle when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 7:15 PM
i ran it on my cav . i put the s/c on my 96z24, so i had no tuning done. stock gm s/c pulley. all i had for fuel was a FMU, and a walbro intank pump(junk). i had a 2k motor, secert cams, full exhuast, 62mm t/b, spec flywheel and ACT clutch, and poly mounts.

but back to the water injection. i ran the coolingmist set up and loved it. it really made a difference on my car. i upgraded to a M4 injector. (got it off mcmastercarr.com- look for brass misting nozzles, half the price of coolingmist.) the m2 wasnt cutting it and everyone said that is what to go with. I tried the m4 and i could tell over the m2.

but overall it was a great kit and i had no issues with it. i had the set up with the check vavle. mount it like 6 inchs from the injector and you wont have problems with the TPS sensor like everyone else does. i never had tps issues with the year or so i had it .(sold the s/c stuff and the car)

I also added a LED light that showed when it was activating.

i ran a mixture of the yellow bottle of HEET and distilled water. like a 50/50 mix sorta. just took a milk jug, dumped a few bottles of heet in, and then filled up the heet bottle with distilled water and added it .

what else,, i had the tank and pump in the trunk.

i wouldnt get the varicooler . i dont think it is worth it on a set up like this s/c. you arnt running that much boost, or HP to really need i think. IT is a nice item, for a high boost turbo car, but your car, i would save the $>

setting the boost switch. I borrowed my brothers boost leak tester for his DSM.(look one up on google) basically it is a rubber intake coupler, with a PVC plug and a tire vavle in the middle. just hook up air to it(little by little) like you are pumping up a tire and listen for the boost switch to click and watch your boost gauge. that is what i did. there are many different ways of doing it.

i ran a 1-4 psi boost switch( he just got the 1-25psi switch in). i had it come on at i think 2 psi.

anything else just ask.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 7:27 PM
cooling mist set up on my old Z24... 75* intake air temps FTW (90+ Deg out that day spinning the blower fast enough to hit 7-11). just watch the TPS like Jake was saying.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, June 05, 2008 10:19 PM
I have so much to add to this but it is late so look for another post in the morning.

I do want to add before I call it a night that alky/water mix helps your car gain power not just because the charge is cooler although this is a huge problem with the m45 but also because ecu can run more agressive timing before your knock sensor starts to notice knock because the water slows the burn process slightly so it is less prone to low level detonation or knock.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, June 06, 2008 12:40 PM
yes but then you would have to tune the engine with the meth injection and then you have to use it all the time because we cant use two dif maps. unless you tune it one way then you tune it with the meth and flash the car everytime you want to use it.

DRIVE HARD OR DONT DRIVE AT ALL!!!

Friday, June 06, 2008 10:00 PM
NO, ALL TUNING should be done with out the water injection.

with the M45, the only REAL reason to use water injection is for cooling the intake air charge down. this in its self will allow you to add timing.

you can supplement the tune so as intake air temps come up, timing gets kicked down to be safe though.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:52 PM
lol and you said you added timing BECAUSE of the meth kit, chris. tisk tisk.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search