Oil restrictor recommendations... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil restrictor recommendations...
Friday, July 31, 2009 1:41 AM
Anyone have any recomendations for an oil feed restrictor on a regular Garrett T3 turbo? I bought an OBX racing one off ebay but it doesnt want to fit into the flange. Only goes a couple threads in and then stops.

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Re: Oil restrictor recommendations...
Friday, July 31, 2009 5:35 AM
Friday, July 31, 2009 5:39 AM
[ion wrote: C2]http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-OIL-022&Category_Code=ATP-OIL1

that

Friday, July 31, 2009 5:44 AM
Ok...Now isnt that basically just the OBX racing restrictor?

Friday, July 31, 2009 7:31 AM
why don't you figure out what thread size your turbo oil inlet is and then buy an adapter based on that?

they're usually 1/8" NPT

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, July 31, 2009 8:17 AM
I used the ATP turbo one. 1/8" NPT.

Switching to a ball bearing unit so now I can use it as a doorstop since I won't need it anymore lol.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, July 31, 2009 9:11 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:I used the ATP turbo one. 1/8" NPT.

Switching to a ball bearing unit so now I can use it as a doorstop since I won't need it anymore lol.

-Chris-

.......give ya a dollar for it? lol

Friday, July 31, 2009 10:10 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:I used the ATP turbo one. 1/8" NPT.

-Chris-

depending on what BB turbo you use, you may still need it.....

Friday, July 31, 2009 4:05 PM
I did buy a 1/8" NPT flange and the restrictor wont screw into it. The restrictor is also 1/8" NPT.

Friday, July 31, 2009 8:47 PM
I have a GT2860RS - requires a -4AN or -3AN inlet to 7/16X24 inverted flare. I assume yours would be the same - however go to turbobygarrett.com and download the whole catelog it will show you all the specs, maps, bolt placement, water inlet/oulet etc so you can get the right parts the first time.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/catalog.html

Example:
Extreme psi.com

Garrett Dual Ball Bearing Oil Restrictor Fitting #18920

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=18920&cat=1007&page=2

I recommend to buy the inlet without the built-in restictor - then just buy some orifices from mcmaster carr , then run a inexpensive oil pressure gage after the restrictor and before your turbo so you know how much pressure you're pushing. If you check out turbobygarrett optimization page it will give you the recommended restrictor diameter (0.040" inch) and pressures (40-45psi at max rpm). This is how I ran my set-up.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_optimization.html

good luck - john
Saturday, August 01, 2009 6:49 AM
Those are for the ball bearing turbos tho. Im running a journal bearing. I'm going with a .060-.065" restrictor.

Looked at that Mcmaster site and they have a great selection. Just wish they would list shipping charges and just not surprise you on your credit card statement. Ill give them a call or e-mail about that tho.

Saturday, August 01, 2009 8:25 AM
I think thats wha i need. i hooked up everything and fored it up and its letting out oil from some where. It was late last night when i seen it so ill look today and see where its coming from but im sure thats what i need cuz i dont have a oil restrictor on my T04 AiReaserch/Garret turbo.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:50 AM
Does any one know if u can get one of those fittings (-.065" restrictor) at a hardware store??

Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:45 PM
I order stuff from McMaster all the time - It won't be more than $10 shipping.

My last order was a 6 X 6 piece of ground steel, and some nylon rivet/trees and the shipping was $5.25.

I ordered a single piece of high pressure pipe - $4.75 shipping

I also had a larger order and shipping was $9.75.
Thursday, August 06, 2009 7:30 PM
Has any 1 use a .065" restrictor and still had there turbo leaking oil?? I just installed that .065 oil restrictor and its still leaking oil fromthe bottom of the turbo right in the middle. Any suggestions on what be going wrong? Im useing a T04 AiReaserch/Garret turbo not sure on the specks but its a pretty big turbo.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:39 PM
If you're running a restrictor but still leaking, I would check your drain line. Be sure it's large enough and has almost no bends at all. Also, be sure gravity is helping - orientaiton of your center section is important. drain line should be nearly straight down.
Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:51 PM
My money's on the oil drain line. That's where all my oil leaks came from. Had to tighten the AN fittings, put some teflon and tighten the NPT side of the fitting. No more leaks.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search