Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4
Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:36 PM
This thread is dedicated to Vulcan Turbo M62 manifold. Due to the cluttered nature of the last thread I am starting this one. Please keep ALL off topic remarks out. If you are or plan to build one please start your own thread.

Progress:

Brian at Vulcan Turbo is in charge of this project. He drove to Des Moines on July 6th and picked up my 02 z24 with the m45 kit installed on it to take back to Vulcan turbo in Milwaukee Wisconsin. My M62 from a Ion Redline, and my 03-05 2.2 jbody ecotec throttle body are already shipped out to Vulcan turbo for design, mock up, and fabrication. Jared Methe's cousin has made and shipped flanges to Vulcan. The flanges have arrived and Brian has made a manifold and bolted the supercharger to it on the car. He has also test fitted the belt and routing. You do not need the idler pulley from the m45 kit although mine already has it so it was fitted with it. If you use the m45 kit idler pulley there is a good chance you will be able to use the same belt the m45 kit uses. Of course this depends on the size of pulley you are running. My m45 had the belt I was using for a 2.5 inch pulley on it. This belt fits well with the aftermarket 2.9" pulley on my M62. Stock pulley for the M62 is about a 3.3".

This is being designed for use with a heat exchanger. Keeping the Intake Air Temps down is being focused on. When I get my car back it will have the heat exchanger setup on it. The heat exchanger being used is a brand new aftermarket unit not a junkyard one from another car that came with one stock.

Pics of the progress so far:
M45 top M62 bottom

My car during disassemble

Getting a rough idea how it fits

Same thing just a different angle

Top secret progress pics lol

Just showing that the hood closes no problem

Hood prop now clears the sc

Belt fits with NO issues. It is being used with the M45 idler, however CAN run without it. (unknown belt length)

What you will need to purchase:
M62 supercharger from an Ion Redline, Cobalt SS/SC, or 03-05 jbody GMPP sc kit
03-05 2.2 ecotec throttle body from a jbody only
Fuel Injectors and tuning
2 bar map sensor
Maybe the m45 kit PCV baffle??

What will be included in the kit:
This depends on which kit you purchase.

Manifold only = manifold only

Manifold plus heat exchanger setup =
Manifold, heat exchanger, pump, hose, instructions, coolant reservoir tank, and Im sure more that I can't think of now

Please keep in mind these are rough lists and might change as this project is still under construction now.

Price:

See the below link. I have nothing to do with the price. Anyone with pricing related ?s should PM Vulcan Turbo. As far as I know these prices are not set in stone as this project is not completed and we are hoping more buyers come forward soon.
http://www.vulcanturbo.com/intakemanifolds.html

People who have paid:

1 Wade Jarvis
2 Jared Methe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:54 PM

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Re: Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4
Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:52 PM
If anyone would like to stop by the Vulcan Turbo and see this in person that is fine with me. You will need contact Brian to set up a time though.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:09 PM
People who have paid:

1 Wade Jarvis
2 Jared Methe
3 partial payment- cody akers

"It's called reading! Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps."
Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:11 PM
thank you wade for having a computer at work

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:13 PM
Damnit Wade no whole pics! lol looks awesome man, glad this finally happened. Im sure this will make people think twice about ditching the sc for a turbo setup!

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:26 PM
I love the progress pics. They show ALOT of detail.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:17 PM
lol we who have paid for the manifold have seen the full pics and let me tell you it is such clean work

Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:18 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't pay very much for a black box.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:32 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't pay very much for a black box.

But its the black box of win! lol
From what I can see, it looks really good. Kudos to Vulcan for making these. GREAT job guys.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:10 PM
Not trying to start anything...but seriously, think if you were buying this. Would you even think about dropping a dime on something without seeing the craftsmanship? I wouldn't...not a red cent. Just a thought.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Friday, July 31, 2009 5:28 AM
josh- i can assure you, the people who have thrown down the money got to see the goods.

Every time I scream "Release", I mean it, you know it. I feel the day. Black 7.

Friday, July 31, 2009 7:34 AM
I don't understand why its such a secret though with the rest of us, hence blocked pics

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, July 31, 2009 8:11 AM
Ok.. NOW I am going to twincharge my car.... woot!

Lol.. no not really but at least now it's a feasible thing to attempt since it's no longer a hairdryer I'm putting boost through... esp with the heat exchanger. Dual intercooling FTMFW! We can double up on EVERYTHING now!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, July 31, 2009 8:29 AM
I'd have to see actual dyno photos to see gains and all that before putting any money down. Who's to say this isn't slower or the same as the m45 setup ya know

My guess for what the mani looks like is a square plate the charge bolts to which has a after cooler and the mani runners look similar to a turbo log style

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 31, 2009 8:32 AM

Friday, July 31, 2009 11:45 AM
JM Graphics / Need Decals? wrote:I'd have to see actual dyno photos to see gains and all that before putting any money down. Who's to say this isn't slower or the same as the m45 setup ya know

My guess for what the mani looks like is a square plate the charge bolts to which has a after cooler and the mani runners look similar to a turbo log style

I also don't see any possible way that there will not be significant a gain. The Stiegemeier ported and polished m45 had a 2.5" pulley on it and was only able to spit out 5-6psi on my engine. In order for it to do that the IAT's would sky rocket. Cruising at 70mph on the interstate the IAT's would be about 170-175 on a 75 degree day. When I punched the gas the IAT's would instantly climb to over 200. I have hit 225 degrees before. The temps would have gone higher if I had continued to push it. Granted this is all without meth which would have no doubt helped. My m62 currently has a 2.9" pulley on it which I would estimate will produce about 12-14psi on my engine.

Just by the math alone there would be a gain. The m45 has a displacement of .75 liters. The m62 is 1.0 liters. So you have a 25% increase in flow right there. The smallest pulley you can put on the m45 before you run into problems clearing the snout is 2.5" on the m45. Even then you are spinning it faster than is recommended. I think the smallest on the M62 is 2.6" or 2.7". Not to mention since this manifold is going to have a heat exchanger setup where as the m45 has nothing it will have lower IAT's than the m45 the same boost level. This just seems like a no brainer. I am kind of surprised you of all people would doubt the potential this setup has to offer. Brian would have to intentionally F this manifold up for their not to be a significant gain. Oh yes last thing the new Harrop TVS is an option as well. I believe it is a 1.3 liter displacement blower.

I will dyno the car ASAP granted last I knew my tune was in the low 10's for AFR with the m45 so I may have to fix that first, then again since the M62 flows more it should lean it out so I may be able to get a rough idea on dyno numbers before I get it fully tuned. Keep in mind everyones car will post different numbers, hell even the same car on 3 different dynos will be 3 different dyno numbers. So take it for what it is worth which is not much.

As for the design I have studied the full pics and I can honestly say it should flow better than the manifold GM uses for the M62.

Friday, July 31, 2009 11:55 AM
Can anyone give a price on this manifold with the HE option?

Friday, July 31, 2009 12:12 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:

As for the design I have studied the full pics and I can honestly say it should flow better than the manifold GM uses for the M62.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Friday, July 31, 2009 12:20 PM
D-Mac wrote:Can anyone give a price on this manifold with the HE option?

The price was in the link in my first post where it says price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 31, 2009 12:24 PM

Friday, July 31, 2009 1:22 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:Not trying to start anything...but seriously, think if you were buying this. Would you even think about dropping a dime on something without seeing the craftsmanship? I wouldn't...not a red cent. Just a thought.

yes wade giving his car up and cody and i throwing down money and now we have seens pictures of what has been done and the work is so professional and clean. the reason the pictures are blocked is because there are other people trying to make this same manifold and vulcan wants to keep the work to himself until its complete. and just as wade was defending the point there is no way that there wont be an increase in power. between flowing more and and keeping temps down. like having a non intercooled t3 turbo then upgrading to a intercooled gt35r you know it flows better and keeping temps down its gonna make more power.

Friday, July 31, 2009 1:23 PM
Bastard, us eco people need a higher flowing intake manifold...

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Friday, July 31, 2009 3:42 PM
Tinkles wrote:Bastard, us eco people need a higher flowing intake manifold...

go turbo...

Friday, July 31, 2009 3:43 PM
I'm still a little confused here.

What is being offered?

And adapter/addition to the 2.4L M45 for an intercooled system?

Or is this a setup to use the Ion SC on a 2.4L?

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, July 31, 2009 3:52 PM
Whats being offered is a custom intake mani for the 2.4 LD that you can bolt the MP62 s/c off a cobalt or redline. complete upgrade from the m45 setup. the gm s/c kit isnt being used, but i believe you can use the idler pulley on it or not use one

"It's called reading! Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps."
Friday, July 31, 2009 6:35 PM
jared methe wrote:
Joshua Dearman wrote:Not trying to start anything...but seriously, think if you were buying this. Would you even think about dropping a dime on something without seeing the craftsmanship? I wouldn't...not a red cent. Just a thought.

yes wade giving his car up and cody and i throwing down money and now we have seens pictures of what has been done and the work is so professional and clean. the reason the pictures are blocked is because there are other people trying to make this same manifold and vulcan wants to keep the work to himself until its complete. and just as wade was defending the point there is no way that there wont be an increase in power. between flowing more and and keeping temps down. like having a non intercooled t3 turbo then upgrading to a intercooled gt35r you know it flows better and keeping temps down its gonna make more power.

I understand what your saying 100%. I'm also not trying to be a dick, but it would be my recommendation to wait on the GP until the 'comp.' is finished maybe? To me, I don't care who says what about what, unless I could see it for myself and make my own conclusions, I wouldn't make a move either way. It's just my opinion, and I'm sharing it because I don't want any discouraging or 'lack of' attention to this GP in the short term..... Obviously I won't be needing this, but I like the enthusiasm and want to express the magnitude of importance pictures will be, with not only interest but sales as well. Good work, hope to see pics soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 31, 2009 8:16 PM

Friday, July 31, 2009 7:11 PM
JM Graphics / Need Decals? wrote:I'd have to see actual dyno photos to see gains and all that before putting any money down. Who's to say this isn't slower or the same as the m45 setup ya know

Well lets see what's the fastest M45 ld9 cavalier vs the fastest m62 eco cavalier without any other power address (ie nitrous). I'd guess they're no where near each other. Assuming this setup is/can be intercooled it should be a great improvement over the M45. However as others said, I don't see the point in not posting the actual photos. It's not as if someone is going to copy it. Can't say I'd spend any money without seeing the final product either.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search