Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4 - Page 10 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4
Friday, September 04, 2009 10:06 AM
Wade Jarvis wrote:
As you can see in the pic below the PCV hole does exist. It will have a barbed fitting on the backside.

the pcv port is below what you circled

Friday, September 04, 2009 10:48 AM
Yea the one circled is a bolt hole lol, unless the ld9 head has 3 lower studs and I miscounted

What is being done for a gasket? Not much room around that pcv port

Friday, September 04, 2009 11:06 AM
Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:I am considering all points, however i feel if one of the couplers WERE to blow apart, the car would simply stall and die for multiple reasons,

A. The computer MAP sensor would read 0.00 thus giving incorrect fuel amounts
B. The computer TPS would read 0.00 but it would be taking in enough air to be WOT. Again giving an incorrect fuel amount.
and C. Even if it did continue to rev, it would not build boost pressure thus making the situation less dangerous.

Brian...... as you well know, if it works for high boost PSI Turbo apps.... it WILL work for a blower.

Looks GREAT, Next week some time Brian and I will stop by.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, September 04, 2009 12:46 PM
Wow! I did circle the wrong thing. This monitor on the computer I am using at work is older than dirt and is on it's way out. It is so dim I have to squint to try and make out pictures. Even the text is hard to make out if the dock door is open and it is sunny like it is now. Anyway have a laugh at my expense.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, September 04, 2009 12:55 PM
JUST count who's LOLing at you when you race all of them...

(kinda like I did back in 07..... )

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, September 04, 2009 1:34 PM
also a side note for those who dont want a/a...u can still go with a external water/air cooler that will works loads better than any small internal core will

Friday, September 04, 2009 1:39 PM
Friday, September 04, 2009 2:06 PM
holy @!#$ their air to air intercoolers are dirt cheap!!!

Saturday, September 05, 2009 9:27 AM
so how we doing?get all the other stuff finished up?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Saturday, September 05, 2009 9:09 PM
Can't wait to see Wades car done. Cars gonna be great. Also, It'll mean I'll finally have my garage cleaned out some more. lol.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Sunday, September 06, 2009 7:01 PM
I have some information to share on placement of the TB, either Pre or Post SC'r. I have always run pre-Sc'r on my engines. I have also had pipes blow apart. The engine immediately climbs to redline and the rev limiters kick in and hold it there. I am forced to turn the ignition off, wait for the engine to wind down, and come to a complete stop before i can turn the key back to run, so i can turn the steering wheel. Kinda sketchy, but you shouldnt be mashing if you needed to turn anyways right? hasnt been a problem yet.

I have a friend who is running an M90 also, however he ran his like a turbo... he has an intake filter right on the inlet, then SC, then IC, then BOV then TB. HIs car is ALWAYS in boost! But, the BOV vents what is not needed. Its so obnoxiously loud its retarded. It sounds like he has a freaking leafblower backpack under his hood even when he's setting at a stoplight. Its gotta be the dumbest thing ive ever seen, but he likes it, so it is what it is. But i would never recommend anyone ever do this, its so gay.

I think the TB should be placed PreSc'r, and use a nice coupler that does not blow. Bead roll your IC piping as well if possible. If you do it right the first time, you wont experience blowouts anyways. But if it does, you have a rev limiter built in, you wont hurt anything. you just loose power steering while your pulling off the road is the worse thing.

M90'd Built LGO-15 PSI
http://webstarts.com/quadper4mance

Sunday, September 06, 2009 7:11 PM
Excellent job on the Mani , looks very cool, and very functional. Cant wait to see the rest!

M90'd Built LGO-15 PSI
Sunday, September 06, 2009 7:28 PM
Nukkinfuttz wrote:I have a friend who is running an M90 also, however he ran his like a turbo... he has an intake filter right on the inlet, then SC, then IC, then BOV then TB. HIs car is ALWAYS in boost! But, the BOV vents what is not needed. Its so obnoxiously loud its retarded. It sounds like he has a freaking leafblower backpack under his hood even when he's setting at a stoplight. Its gotta be the dumbest thing ive ever seen, but he likes it, so it is what it is. But i would never recommend anyone ever do this, its so gay.

Not using a bypass valve like he's supposed to eh?

With this setup the bypass would function properly with the throttle body post-supercharger.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Sunday, September 06, 2009 7:42 PM
He was using a GM M90 with a integral bypass... it was just LOUD! At all times. I mean. the SC'r while is real cool when your goose'n it, but at Mcdonalds in the drive thru = Fail. Sneaking over to your GF's house at night = FAIL Drive within a 1/4 mi radius of a cop = Fail. any time the car is running, the SC'r is SCREAMING.

M90'd Built LGO-15 PSI
Sunday, September 06, 2009 7:51 PM
See, the differance is, the Eaton Roots blowers are air pumps. they will draw in a set amount of air per Rev no matter what. Not like a turbo that is a variable displacement (for lack of a better word). when the turbo is running slow because the engine is at idle, its not able to move very much air at all, so it makes no noise. A unthrottled SC'r however moves the same amount of air per rev no matter what speed its running. so if its operating unthrottled, its gulping in air. and that creates a buttload of noise. Whether you ditch it thru a BOV or Bypass is irrelevant, its coming in, and thats just that. and that makes noise. so a PreSc'r TB is required, so the blower operates in a vacumm, and behind a noise barrier (throttle plate). this makes for nice quiet operation when you want a conservative profile (like driving in front of a cop) or open the TB and let her scream. When im crusing, you can hear a very slight hiss, thats all. but when i open it up, you can hear the charger several blocks away!

M90'd Built LGO-15 PSI
Sunday, September 06, 2009 8:02 PM
But, if your just hellbent on post Sc'r TB setup, Mercedes Benz used a M90 on one of there cars, and they had a clutch on the snout pulley much like your A/C compressor does. It could be switched on and off. This would reduce ALL Sc'r load on the engine while crusing AND cuase your rotor blades to not turn at all. Or is they did, they would just be freewheeling, keeping up with flow. But, a bypass valve could then route all needed airflow thru itself at non-load conditions, and when you get to a certain load percentage, the clutch could activate and engage the sc'r back online. anyways, if the rotors were not FORCING air in, then they would not be making any noise. So, this could be a solution. But agian, why? what do you gain from going post SC'r TB????????????????????

M90'd Built LGO-15 PSI
Sunday, September 06, 2009 8:20 PM
oh, i see, you want pipe blowout protection.
I'd take pipe blowout and rev limit engagement hands down. it doesnt happen that often, and when it does, you just shut down and pull over. besides, when you have a blowout, you loose boost pressure to the mani, then if you did hit rev limit, your timing retards to 10*, which is about as safe as you can get. and then your fuel cuts out. so, you might over shoot the revs a little bit, but its not like its doing it under full load.

actually, heres what really happens... if your WOT in boost, haulin azzz, and all the sudden a pipe blows apart, you just go back to N/A power. Your chargers noise leve increases by 100 fold, becuase its pumping straight to atmosphere. but, your trans clutch is still engaged, so your engine stays at the same revs it was just previous to the blowout. At this point you have two choices. you can A. Push in the clutch pedal and brakes, and the result is a rev limit bounce. This is becuase by decoupling the engines load, it can now freerev. Or you can choose option B. After pipe blows (and you will surely know it, gets REAL loud, and you loose ALOT of power all the sudden) you can just reach up and turn your keyswitch to Off. Wait for the engine to wind down. It will not rev spike, becuase you never hit the clutch pedal. After you can turned your key to Off, you can then go ahead and push in your clutch and go to nuetral.

If a pipe blowout occurs, your gonna have to pull over and fix it no matter what. So, were now left with "how can we prevent rev spikes?" That is the real issue. You can run post SC TB, and have a loud obnoxouis car to drive around in 100% of the time. Or you can use good judgment and TURN KEY OFF FIRST, THEN HIT CLUTCH, not the other way around. In the end, both result in the same treatment of the engine. so, I still vote no to Post SC'r TB.

M90'd Built LGO-15 PSI
Sunday, September 06, 2009 8:20 PM
Ohhhhh... duh. I'm curious to what this sounds like now, get a video clip hehe.

What we'd gain from post-SC is safety I guess. But apparently all that charge piping being the manifold doesn't hurt your setup, so I guess it'd work that way.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Sunday, September 06, 2009 9:41 PM
No updates sorry, labor day weekend :p

Sunday, September 06, 2009 11:10 PM
Im workin tomorrow, ill see what happens with the set time im givin, i have maybe a solid 8 hours of work left on this setup.
Monday, September 07, 2009 12:53 PM
will there be an option for larger inlets/outlets like 2.5" or 3"? or is there a reason for going with a 2.25" inlet/outlet?

If I'm weird and everyone else is weird, does that make me normal?
-me

Versus Motorsports really @!#$ sucks
and so does DHL...but more

Monday, September 07, 2009 1:22 PM
No sorry 2.25" is the only size available, because its the largest that would fit on that side.
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:56 AM
labor day was 2 days ago BUMP

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 10:45 AM
if you are worried about silicone couplers blowing off

why not use V-band clamps ? cost more but wont blow off

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:06 PM
I don't see any reason why bead rolled pipes and T-bolt clamps together with a quality hose would not be enough.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search