Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4 - Page 12 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4
Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:30 PM
Although YES o-rings would be ideal in a situation like this, the added cost simply isnt worth it. So each o-ring is $25 x 4, then having the flanges machined with o-rings is an even extra cost on top of it not to mention if that o-ring groove is cut to shallow or to deep or even just off a hair it wont seal properly. Its GM factory RTV on it, That supercharger gasket is a good deal tho, that i recommend if possible. RTV gasket sealer should really be used with almost all applications, i use it for a lot of things, the reason for sealers like this is to fill the minor imperfections of a mating surfaces which is all this manifold needs since they are machined flat after welding and production. As for your oil leak wade that may be something different other than the RTV used. Ive been doing this kind of work full time for about 6 years now + ASE certified, and i feel comfortable with this as a sealant.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:00 PM
Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:Although YES o-rings would be ideal in a situation like this, the added cost simply isnt worth it. So each o-ring is $25 x 4, then having the flanges machined with o-rings is an even extra cost on top of it not to mention if that o-ring groove is cut to shallow or to deep or even just off a hair it wont seal properly.

I don't care about the added cost for an O-ring groove. I want this done right not done cheap! Of course using 25 dollar O-rings is stupid. That was never even an option I suggested. If the place cutting the O-ring grooves cant get it right then they have no bussiness cutting them. Thus why I said have the groove cut to the O-ring. Did you even read what I posted? You did not even comment on IONC2's Idea which sounds better than the O-ring idea anyway.

Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote: Its GM factory RTV on it

I would like to see a link to the exact stuff you are using.

Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:That supercharger gasket is a good deal tho, that i recommend if possible.

So then my car will be put together with one right? When the time comes I don't want anymore of that crap to clean off than there already is! Besides if GM thought it would be a good idea to use a real gasket there instead of RTV there must be a reason why. Kind of makes me think if this stuff is so great then why did GM not use it on everything. Notice it was NEVER used on the intake manifold to head of any 4cyl they have ever made. Also note they did not use it on the M45.

Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:RTV gasket sealer should really be used with almost all applications, i use it for a lot of things, the reason for sealers like this is to fill the minor imperfections of a mating surfaces which is all this manifold needs since they are machined flat after welding and production. As for your oil leak wade that may be something different other than the RTV used. Ive been doing this kind of work full time for about 6 years now + ASE certified, and i feel comfortable with this as a sealant.

That is the purpose of any gasket. I hope you are right about this stuff being up to the task. I stil don't like this one bit, if for no other reason than what it takes to clean it off. when I take it apart.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:19 PM
(eating popcorn).

good luck with the set up. I am interested in the final outcome.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:33 PM
This is what you want. Bottom item is a laser cut gasket that OEM makes. The phenolic spacer with two of these gaskets would be a great idea as well.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:54 PM
[ion wrote: C2]This is what you want. Bottom item is a laser cut gasket that OEM makes. The phenolic spacer with two of these gaskets would be a great idea as well.

this is what i was thinking about buying too!!!

"It's called reading! Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps."
Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:38 PM
[ion wrote: C2]This is what you want. Bottom item is a laser cut gasket that OEM makes. The phenolic spacer with two of these gaskets would be a great idea as well.

I think we have a winner

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:32 PM
doesnt look like any 2.4 gasket ive seen

the factory 2.4 gasket is about 1/8" thick and is impregnated with rubber , to seal against the head and intake

Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:27 PM
Well I heard about this a long time ago but I didn't know this was this far along. So its a air to air intercooled M62 manifold? Will this work better than a heat exchanger with a liquid to air setup? If so this brings to mind many many possibilities.

Good work Wade!

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:34 PM
you're supposed to use a stock gasket then phenolic spacer then oem gasket. thats how it works.

Familiar Taste of Poison.
Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:57 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(™)]doesnt look like any 2.4 gasket ive seen

the factory 2.4 gasket is about 1/8" thick and is impregnated with rubber , to seal against the head and intake
Um, duh? The stock one is designed to fit inside the channels in the stock plastic manifold.

This manifold is a metal flat flange, in which case this gasket simply goes between the two flat surfaces (head and intake manifold flange).

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:39 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:

Its GM factory RTV on it

I would like to see a link to the exact stuff you are using.

I gave him the stuff Today Wade.... It Works.. Its THE ONLY thing I have ever used that makes the damn Cam tower gaskets (tower to head) not leak for me..

We switched to this "newer" GMS last year, something about being special for aluminum... cam out for the North Star engines...

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, September 11, 2009 9:53 AM
That laser cut gasket also sparks my interest, another reason we dont have the head flanges o-rings is because after welding the head flanges usually come out 1/16 - 1/8" warp, once i machine them flat, those o-ring groves will be gone where warping was worst! Thus making them completely useless.
Friday, September 11, 2009 9:58 AM
^^ Also that is the EXACT gasket maker used.
Friday, September 11, 2009 10:04 AM
Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:That laser cut gasket also sparks my interest, another reason we dont have the head flanges o-rings is because after welding the head flanges usually come out 1/16 - 1/8" warp, once i machine them flat, those o-ring groves will be gone where warping was worst! Thus making them completely useless.

You could always cut the o-ring grooves after the flanges have been remachined.
Friday, September 11, 2009 10:35 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Well I heard about this a long time ago but I didn't know this was this far along. So its a air to air intercooled M62 manifold? Will this work better than a heat exchanger with a liquid to air setup? If so this brings to mind many many possibilities.

Good work Wade!

yes can buy the manifold alone and run your own e xternal water/air set up using any water/air intercooler you want...

for example, you could run piping to one of these

than just use water to cool it down, would def be better than a internal water/air set up, u have a bigger core, better cooling abilities, supports alot more power than the m62 puts out

Friday, September 11, 2009 10:53 AM
lol is there a limit to how cold of air an engine will run on?

air to air with a nitrous spray bar... water to air with ice, and nitrous being sprayed into the intake track. can you say -10 degree iat's? LOL

Friday, September 11, 2009 11:21 AM
z yaaaa wrote:lol is there a limit to how cold of air an engine will run on?

air to air with a nitrous spray bar... water to air with ice, and nitrous being sprayed into the intake track. can you say -10 degree iat's? LOL

dont think there is a limit, i mean drive cars in negative degress in canada dont they...i woudlnt knwo im in texas, coldest we get is 20 if we're lucky, and thats lke once every 5-10yrs hahahahaha seen snow twice in my lifetime

Friday, September 11, 2009 11:23 AM
also if anyone is interested i have a spare m62 for sale right now, looking for 150+shipping, only problem with is the fact that previous owner sucked at painting...lol

Friday, September 11, 2009 11:27 AM
Juan your such a post whore, settle down. Anyways having the groves cut after flattening would be even more expensive yet, a custom jig would need to be made to hold the manifold at the correct angle and so on.
Friday, September 11, 2009 12:00 PM
:p ur just jelous my post count is higher than yours...you shoudl buy it, include it as one of your kits :p just needs some love, and some acetone....i would do it but im under the weather right now....prob do it over the weekend in which i will raise the cost to 200 shipped :p

Friday, September 11, 2009 1:25 PM
Jn2 wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:Well I heard about this a long time ago but I didn't know this was this far along. So its a air to air intercooled M62 manifold? Will this work better than a heat exchanger with a liquid to air setup? If so this brings to mind many many possibilities.

Good work Wade!

yes can buy the manifold alone and run your own e xternal water/air set up using any water/air intercooler you want...

for example, you could run piping to one of these

than just use water to cool it down, would def be better than a internal water/air set up, u have a bigger core, better cooling abilities, supports alot more power than the m62 puts out

thats exacty how my intake for technic m62 looks

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100

Friday, September 11, 2009 1:36 PM
Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:Also one downside to the flanges we have, a thin layer of gasket sealer is needed. We do belt sand them perfectly flat so there should be no leakage issues with a very very thin layer of sealant.

Did you use wax on the belt at least?

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Friday, September 11, 2009 4:45 PM
if anyone wants their m62 port let me know... my machinist that's been doing my cams told me he did a s/c for 'some' company. they said they loved it. the name escapes me currently...

Friday, September 11, 2009 4:54 PM
OEM wrote:
Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:Also one downside to the flanges we have, a thin layer of gasket sealer is needed. We do belt sand them perfectly flat so there should be no leakage issues with a very very thin layer of sealant.

where is my knife, need to cut the tension...oh there it is next to the popcorn...how convinient

Friday, September 11, 2009 6:37 PM
Jn2 wrote:
OEM wrote:

where is my knife, need to cut the tension...oh there it is next to the popcorn...how convinient

om nom nom nom.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search