Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4 - Page 11 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 4:13 PM
Works for turbo cars....

When you pricks coming up?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 4:47 PM
As soon as the car is done. I will let you know.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:45 PM
More pics... I started install the whole setup today, manifold is 100% bolted on, never to come off again... by my hands. Heres where im at currently:

Clearance under the manifold, it may just work out that the stock PCV cover could be used with this manifold.

All injectors and clips fit, took a little bit of putzing around but worked out when i figured it out, didnt require removing the rail or anything.
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:47 PM
hmmm sexy

"It's called reading! Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps."
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:49 PM
Also one downside to the flanges we have, a thin layer of gasket sealer is needed. We do belt sand them perfectly flat so there should be no leakage issues with a very very thin layer of sealant.
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:41 PM
that picture isnt the stock baffle ?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:19 PM
jared methe wrote:that picture isnt the stock baffle ?

The one in the pic is from the M45 kit.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:24 PM
Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:Also one downside to the flanges we have, a thin layer of gasket sealer is needed. We do belt sand them perfectly flat so there should be no leakage issues with a very very thin layer of sealant.

Wait what?? No gasket of any kind just some RTV?? I am NOT cool with that. Is there still a garolite spacer in the middle?

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:38 PM
i want my m62 like that

great work

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 10:11 PM
You cant ring the flange of O gaskets?

Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:01 AM
i used silicone to seam my s/c to the head for 2 years , when i sold the kit and installed it on my friends s/f , and i dont think ida made 9ish psi , and him 13 psi(larger cank pulley) if the silicone didnt work

it was good enough for gm in their testing , its good enough for me

for him to add groves for o-rings or another way to seal it , you guys are looking at alot more cash

Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:30 AM
Why you so against RTV? It is intended to be used as a GASKET. GM uses it in many applications instead of a conventional gasket and in many cases I trust it over a conventional gasket.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:09 AM
i know its the one from our m45 kit and thats exactly what i dont want . i need to sell that with the kit so gotta figure something out.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:25 AM
mitdr774 wrote:Why you so against RTV? It is intended to be used as a GASKET. GM uses it in many applications instead of a conventional gasket and in many cases I trust it over a conventional gasket.

When I suggested using it for the intake manifold to head in another thread (considering the rubber o-rings were $25 each), he says
Wade Jarvis wrote:You must be one of those idiots who answer to sealing anything automotive is "throw some RTV on it"

Gasket maker works fine, but OEM's laser cut gaskets work real well for this kind of thing, I'd get one of those. I don't see why Vulcan wouldn't be able to cut some.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:58 AM
was talking to my cousin that made the head flanges for vulcan and he said that he can cut the o rings into the flange . just like the ones on our m45

Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:06 AM
[ion wrote: C2]
mitdr774 wrote:Why you so against RTV? It is intended to be used as a GASKET. GM uses it in many applications instead of a conventional gasket and in many cases I trust it over a conventional gasket.

When I suggested using it for the intake manifold to head in another thread (considering the rubber o-rings were $25 each), he says
Wade Jarvis wrote:You must be one of those idiots who answer to sealing anything automotive is "throw some RTV on it"

Gasket maker works fine, but OEM's laser cut gaskets work real well for this kind of thing, I'd get one of those. I don't see why Vulcan wouldn't be able to cut some.

As you can see I treat everyone fairly. It was nothing personal against you. I agree 25 bucks each for O-rings is rediculous. IIRC when I replaced mine I went with the closest ones I could find at the auto part store or maybe it was the hardware store. Either way I spent all afternoon trying to find the absolute best match. At the end of the day it was giant waste of my time. I know I was trying to save the info on exactly which O-ring I used to post it here to help others but I will be damned if I can find the peice of paper I wrote it down on.

As for RTV at the suggestion of a friend I decided why not give it a try. Ask Vulcan how well that stopped my oil leak. Yes it has its uses. I often use a very small amount of it to help stick a gasket to one of the surfaces while positioning the part. On the M45 I used a vey small amount to hold the O-ring into the groove. Show me somewhere where GM reccomends using it. The only part I can think of is between the two peice case of the getrag transmission. And it is not RTV is is an anerobic sealant.

I am concerned about there becoming a vaccum/boost leak there. Not to mention any time it is removed you are left with the mess of little slivers of RTV from scraping it off and the possibly scratching the mating surfaces in the process.

I also dont see why grooves can't be cut for an O-ring. I thought that was what was being done. I made it perfectly clear how I felt about this way back when in the other M62 thread. I don't like being surprised with stuff like this at the last minute.

If that is not a realistic option, what about tracing the flange on actaul gasket material and doing it that way?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:16 AM

Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:14 AM
jared methe wrote:was talking to my cousin that made the head flanges for vulcan and he said that he can cut the o rings into the flange . just like the ones on our m45

It would be wise to figure out what O-ring is commonly available and is the apropriate size and thinckness then have the flange cut to that specific O-ring. Otherwise you could run into the problem of the groove for the O-ring not being the right width or dept as well as the problem of the O-ring being too large or too small to adaquatly fit the circumfrence of the groove. This was the problem I ran into when trying to find an O-ring locally is that the GM one was like a bastard child in respect to its dimensions.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:36 AM
if you guys are complagning about the gasket just get the gasket from GM

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Cobalt-SC-Gasket-12584342-P1656C200.aspx

its the same one we cobalts use on our set up, works perfectly

Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:46 AM
wade has a problem with the head to manifold sealing up with RTV... not the blower to manifold.

i personally am with wade on this one. this is such a nice part to begin with... why skimp out now.

o-rings were used by gm in the puny m45 with a whopping 4.5 psi and gm knows what works.

Familiar Taste of Poison.
Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:55 AM
Get proven numbers and all from the setup this a reasonable price and i will be building another toy.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:21 AM
JM Graphics / Need Decals? wrote:Get proven numbers and all from the setup this a reasonable price and i will be building another toy.

I plan to dyno it as soon as I get my car back.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:37 AM
GM has been using RTV for quite a few years as crankcase and oil pan gaskets. I have no problem trusting RTV to seal the intake to head flange. I have been using it for years onmy car and have never had a leak due to it. If you can get a properly cut gasket then go for it but I would still prefer an RTV gasket on my car. When my o-rings cracked for the S/C I decided I didnt want to deal with that BS again.

Either way, If I was looking to M62 my car I would definately be looking at this manifold. Looks good.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:44 AM
dodge even uses rtv to seal the trans pan on their auto's , stuff is a royal pain to get broken loose too

GM does recommend it , it was used to seal the intakes on the small and big block's , it actually works better than the gaskets they used to use

i know most people never use rtv right , they goop it on and slap the pieces together , which is also why you get the bead that rolls out between the 2 parts , also its a good sign YOU USED TO MUCH , your supposed to let it sit and start to film up on the outside surface

Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:01 PM
mitdr774 wrote:GM has been using RTV for quite a few years as crankcase and oil pan gaskets. I have no problem trusting RTV to seal the intake to head flange. I have been using it for years onmy car and have never had a leak due to it. If you can get a properly cut gasket then go for it but I would still prefer an RTV gasket on my car. When my o-rings cracked for the S/C I decided I didnt want to deal with that BS again.

Either way, If I was looking to M62 my car I would definately be looking at this manifold. Looks good.

2.8,3.1,3100,3400,3500,3900 Come to mind as far as Block to Intake....

GMS is GREAT... Wade Ill get you some.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:24 PM
also for the 3800. Dont forget the crankcase halves on teh Eco, Northstar, and I thin the D-Max as well. Many oil pan gaskets as well. I love the stuff.

STill look forward to seeing the numbers you guys pull off with this setup.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search