Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4 - Page 9 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4
Thursday, September 03, 2009 1:41 PM
sweet finally posted pics

Thursday, September 03, 2009 3:14 PM
Any final price set for this intake?

"It's called reading! Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps."
Thursday, September 03, 2009 3:19 PM
Hmm... good stuff... now you all just hope to God you NEVER blow a coupler... and if you do, shut the engine off ASAP because it'd be like running with no throttle body.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Thursday, September 03, 2009 3:32 PM
heres an idea, just throwin it out there, put the throttle body on the manifold.....not the supercharger., just put an airfilter on the blower. then you can install a bov, and run it like a turbo setup.

persay you run it normal your sensors will be off ause you manifold will have all these feet of pumbing, hench making the capacity alot greater and more risk like c2 put it.

I would mount the t/b right on the manifold where air is suppose to come back in, run a bov and have the best of both worlds........lol
whine and bov and persay a coupler does blow your runnin na.

also wont your sensors be way off with the inceased capacity.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 3:33 PM
it would be like that one guy who ounted the supercharger where the a/c compressor goes.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 3:52 PM
Possible, i run a lot higher quality silicon fittings + t-bolt clamps + the tubes have notches are welded in the tubes to prevent the pipe from slipping past. I like the silicon parts i do because there 4-ply fiberglass re-enforced so they never stretch out, and there made of the better material that doesnt get all slick and slimy after 1000 miles of driving, I personally have never had a problem with this method blowing off couplers even in turbo setups boosting 20+ psi.
Thursday, September 03, 2009 3:59 PM
Regardless, the throttle body should be on the main manifold before it gets to the runners, and not on the supercharger. If the risk of blowing off and blowing up the engine is one you tell your customers to take, that's fine. But from a sizing point of view, you're making the manifold the entire length of the piping and intercooler, which is a little too large..

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:18 PM
wade- no the manifold does not have the pcv.

you can see in the pic that it has a 'swoop' up and out of the way right where the pcv hole is.

you're going to need to tap the pcv hole and thread in a barb, then just run it to a vacuum source. paul has this setup on the madness. works great.

ion-what is you're deal? i can (and i am sure many others can) sense you're hosiltiy towards this manifold. we all know you and OEM are tight n sh!t but come on... do you really need to crap all over vulcans work and point out every little thing YOU think it should have or not have? i think i speak for everyone in this thread when i say go over to the oem thread and STAY.

sorry wade for the rant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:20 PM

Familiar Taste of Poison.
Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:39 PM
z yaaaa what's your fcking deal? OEMs is going to fail based on the poor method of intercooling and lack of a real product, only a mockup. I want to see this FMIC capable one succeed. I want to see it done RIGHT.

You definitely don't speak for everyone, so don't come at me with your invisible army. I don't want this thing to be put out being anything less than the best. I'm pointing out bad scenarios based on this design, that can be very easily solved. I want to help improve the design. Apparently you didn't know that I was the one who gave Vulcan a ton of information in the beginning of this thing, as he was my primary contact in helping get this thing off the ground. Vulcan has always had my bet on being the one to have the upper hand in this MP62 race, and I'm glad to point out things I think may not work as expected, and try to offer advice in how to improve it.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:57 PM
Ours is going to fail, humm I doubt that but ok.

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Thursday, September 03, 2009 5:23 PM
Anyways.... we all made peace in PMs, . Basically the deal is that both manifolds have certain issues that need addressing. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here and point things out before a final product is made and it's dangerous or not feasible. I'd love to see both designs succeed, just trying to be realistic and help figure out the design.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Thursday, September 03, 2009 6:04 PM
im not playing sides either...i have an ecotec for the matter, i just saw it and commented.

I hope both designs work, but as an ase certified tech i see a problem stec\tching out the manifold that big, i.e. all the piping and intercooler.

all im saying is if you go to a air to air intercooler, you need to treat it more like a turbo system.
like this guy did

http://jalopnik.com/5225023/garage-mechanic-ghetto+rigs-subaru-impreza-with-eaton-supercharger

Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:59 PM
Hey at least the Subaru guy did it correclty and used an M90. This 62 thing is way to small to really be any fun...

Also, as was mentioned that particular intercooler is way under-sized. Going to be some major psi drop across it. I have that Corky Bell book and it gives you the actual correct way to size an intercooler. Highly recommend the book to anyone designing a system such as this.

Looks good though, if you could bolt on an M90 or M112 on there it would be alot cooler, but this works.

11.92 @ 122.69 MPH Rotrex Blower / Intercooled / Water-Meth / 100% Daily Driver / 381 WHP

Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:01 PM
I also call BS on the Subaru thing where he says the alum. plate and outlet tube were brazed on. lol Can you braze Alum ? If so, how the hell do you do it? I'd love to know.

11.92 @ 122.69 MPH Rotrex Blower / Intercooled / Water-Meth / 100% Daily Driver / 381 WHP

Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:05 PM
If you look at the pics on that link, it shows him doing it on his bbq lol. And yes you can, you just need to get the right brazing rod.
Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:12 PM
Yeah, I see the pics, I just didn't think it could be done.

That may be one of the top 10 coolest things I've ever seen on the internet. (the other 9 consist of scantily ladies doing dirty things)

Now, off to google to find out how the hell I can learn to do that myself. Welding / Brazing alum. is a wicked skill to have.

Friday, September 04, 2009 5:12 AM
HTS 2000 brazing rods are amazing, check 'em out.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, September 04, 2009 8:47 AM
I am considering all points, however i feel if one of the couplers WERE to blow apart, the car would simply stall and die for multiple reasons,

A. The computer MAP sensor would read 0.00 thus giving incorrect fuel amounts
B. The computer TPS would read 0.00 but it would be taking in enough air to be WOT. Again giving an incorrect fuel amount.
and C. Even if it did continue to rev, it would not build boost pressure thus making the situation less dangerous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, September 04, 2009 8:47 AM
Friday, September 04, 2009 9:33 AM
Website updated with new pricing / options / able to be ordered.
Friday, September 04, 2009 9:35 AM
To add to the above I just spoke to Vulcan on the phone. They will be leaving one pipe loose starting the car with someone in it and pulling the pipe off to see what the result is. Someone will be in the car ready to shut it off if need be.

Progress will be made in the next few days on mounting the inter cooler, manifold, supercharger, and making the charge pipes. The charge pipes are going to be bead rolled and powder coated. There are a few options on the color of the charge pipes. I am going with a charcoal/gunmetal color. The PCV plate design has been sent to the machinist. Waiting on a response from them about price and if they can cut a groove just like the stock piece for the stock gasket. I have made it clear that I want this groove so we can use the stock gasket. The throttle body spacer is towards the end of the list of things to make and should be relatively simple.

As you can see in the pic below the PCV hole does exist. It will have a barbed fitting on the backside.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, September 04, 2009 9:48 AM

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, September 04, 2009 9:37 AM
thanks for bein calm and cool.

Cant wait to see it fired up for the first time

Friday, September 04, 2009 9:42 AM
What kind of pcv plate is being made Wade? Im looking for just a block off plate with a groove with the gasket cut in it for the gasket.

Friday, September 04, 2009 9:47 AM
I like the pricing of this version much better. I might be interested now.

Friday, September 04, 2009 9:49 AM
Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:I am considering all points, however i feel if one of the couplers WERE to blow apart, the car would simply stall and die for multiple reasons,

A. The computer MAP sensor would read 0.00 thus giving incorrect fuel amounts
B. The computer TPS would read 0.00 but it would be taking in enough air to be WOT. Again giving an incorrect fuel amount.
and C. Even if it did continue to rev, it would not build boost pressure thus making the situation less dangerous.

i was going to post that yesterday :p but got caught up talking with the guy on css about a water/air eco manifold, which they REALLY want...so ill hit you up later with some ideas

Friday, September 04, 2009 9:50 AM
icemike89 wrote:What kind of pcv plate is being made Wade? Im looking for just a block off plate with a groove with the gasket cut in it for the gasket.

So far the plan was for one similar to the M45 kit baffle.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search