turbo kit - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: turbo kit
Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:51 AM
Or they could just understand that HP is not cheap.
I have had my car for over 4 years and its still not done, but making and designing custom parts and setups, buying brand name quality equipment isnt cheap.
I am hoping to have a tune on it this spring, then more modification in the future.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:00 PM
Why do people insist on making themselves look like fools? Theres a magical new thing call a search box. Also you can take advantage of sites like google and wiki. Thats what I did neways. I read and then read then read som more. Then I read everything again, just to be sure. I printed @!#$ and read @!#$ for months. Then I asked questions that didnt make me sound tarded.... That being said I would agree not to buy vital parts as cheap @!#$. pipes & lines and stuff like that is ok, other than that go with something decent. Now personally I love my junkyard built 2200 turbo kit, bash me if you want, but I didnt spend more than 2k for my stuff. If you want a decent setup but dont want to spend money heres what I have just as a refrence.

I got a used mani brand unknown but decent and cheap, used nissan turbo, tial wastegate, I got all my lines and boost controler cheap from ebay, Ebay ic and pipes. they were cheap and do the job but id like to upgrade the IC eventually.
Now for the part that seems to illude most people who havnt even attempted to learn anything about what they are doing before the build a boosted j. FUEL: you can build a fuel system for your j at very little cost. I got a used vortech FMU for cheap on ebay, Ford brown top injectors, and a blazer fuel pump. All this for less than 200 (probably not even 150) will make a good enough fuel system to throw some decent boost at your engine.

Above all, JUST SEARCH AND RESEARCH. Then listen to the big gunz arround here. Most of them are really helpful. They hepled me out alot. BTW thanks everyone who helped me, weather it was one of my questions or your own informationals and stickies!
Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:32 PM
Phil Lindsay wrote:Or they could just understand that HP is not cheap.
I have had my car for over 4 years and its still not done, but making and designing custom parts and setups, buying brand name quality equipment isnt cheap.
I am hoping to have a tune on it this spring, then more modification in the future.

QFT!

Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:00 AM
To the Original Poster....

1. Read the sticky's. Not just the boost thread sticky's, but the performance ones too.

2. Learn how to use the SEARCH engine (most people don't know what boolean operators are and type in too many words, click the "search exact phrase" function...and have NO RESULTS!! (oh noes!)

3. Pick up "maximum boost" by Corkey Bell

4. Pick up a shop, Haynes, or Chilton Manual for your car.....

5. I'm not preaching a hahn kit over a pieced together one....but realize that if you don't go with a Hahn Racecraft kit, you will need to spend a considerable amount of time figuring out how to get the parts to fit....(did you know that Hahn offers WARRANTY on their kits if it's installed by a shop? Does EBAY DO THAT???)

6. Look at the EBAY sales...does it say "HKS SSQV style?" My buddy owns a real HKS SSQV, and got a cheap one from ebay for the hell of it....they look VERY VERY similar, ALMOST identical, but do you think it will hold up? Same goes with turbo's, manifolds, and charge pipes.

and the last reason....almost all ebay kits don't come with:

Gaskets
Gauges
Fuel line fittings (gotta go off your stock rail and lines somehow)
T-BOLT STYLE CLAMPS
and FMU or means to tune
Inline fuel pumps (gonna need that if you want to boost)
new fuel injectors (gonna need those as well)
etc., etc.

After I bought my Hahn Kit (which is a COMPLETE bolt on breeze...) I had to spend anothre 1,000 on Gauges, misc. trips to the auto parts store for extra @!#$.... I think that an E-bay kit will run you more than a grand in extras, and will probably end up costing you as much as I paid for mine anyway...

$.02

Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:15 PM
so here it is thursday, a WEEK later after you thought you'd be done in two days. starting to sink in yet the kit was crap?

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search